Facebooks 50 Genders

Soldato
My friend lost his leg in Afgan, no point giving him a prosthetic because its 100% impossible to make a new human leg and the prosthetic will never conform to my standards of a leg. He complains but that's prob just a mental issue right? Maybe he should just stop wanting to be able to walk and accept what his body is.

Now that's just stupid

Surely the prosthetic leg would be just that a prosthetic leg.

Surely that's a little different when comparing mental issues, you can't be serious. A man wanting to change from man to woman, to a man who lost his leg in battle wanting a prosthetic, come that's just silly.

Associate
Why isn't it?

You just said it was a mental illness, those are examples of other mental illnesses. If you think your narrow view should be imposed on people who want to change gender then why not for other mental illnesses.

I mean depression right, they should just cheer up....

No we don't amputate or mutilate but we pump them full of different drugs until they find the right combination to treat them.

You are talking like it is done to them against their will, if they have been living "wrong" or a "lie" for 10, 20 years who are you to say they shouldn't have gender reassignment just because you don't think they should.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why isn't it?

You just said it was a mental illness, those are examples of other mental illnesses. If you think your narrow view should be imposed on people who want to change gender then why not for other mental illnesses.

I mean depression right, they should just cheer up....

We don't pander to them, we treat them. The treatment is intended to reverse the effects of their illness, not increase them.

Associate
We don't pander to them, we treat them. The treatment is intended to reverse the effects of their illness, not increase them.

Yes and people get treated by undergoing gender reassignment, I don't see what the issue is?

It sounds more like your own mental issues rather than any credible reason, maybe you should get it treated.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The issue is that if a man believes that he is a woman, then you 'reassign' him as a woman, he becomes a Frankenstein's monster. The treatment should be to make him accept that he is a man.

Putting aside the emotive language a moment, what if gender reassignment surgery has a better success rate than any other form of treatment?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
A person attempting to change from man to woman bares more similarity to wanting to change species than from someone wanting a prosthetic leg. One is feasible the other is not.

Alternatively "I will use stupid examples when they support my prejudices yet decry them when they don't".

Soldato
OP
Putting aside the emotive language a moment, what if gender reassignment surgery has a better success rate than any other form of treatment?

What are you measuring the success rate against? They continue to have much higher suicide rates after reassignment, so evidently lifespan is not a measure of success.

So you would rather he suffered for the rest of his life increasing the chance that he will commit suicide just because of your own prejudice?

They are going to suffer either way. There is no respite for people with extreme psychological problems. The idea that embracing their new identity somehow relieves them of their issue is a nonsense. A "woman trapped in a mans body" after surgery is just a woman trapped in a mutilated man's body.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
What are you measuring the success rate against? They continue to have much higher suicide rates after reassignment, so evidently lifespan is not a measure of success.

I wonder why that would be? Do you think it may be people that decry them as unnatural, Frankensteins, deluded etc. etc.?

As I said earlier, the evidence is limited, but does seem to suggest that surgery is the best treatment option and leads to a happier lifestyle than other forms of treatment.

If it is the best form of treatment, why are you against it?

Soldato
OP
I wonder why that would be? Do you think it may be people that decry them as unnatural, Frankensteins, deluded etc. etc.?

As I said earlier, the evidence is limited, but does seem to suggest that surgery is the best treatment option and leads to a happier lifestyle than other forms of treatment.

If it is the best form of treatment, why are you against it?

I don't agree that it's the best form of treatment, because as I pointed out; their mortality rates are much higher than normal people even after surgery.

Even so, I don't necessarily disapprove of them going down this route if all other options have been exhausted. However these persons should not be viewed as natural women (or men) and we should not as a society pretend that this is normal.

In California there was a law passed to allow pre-op MTF to use the same facilities as girls in school. This is not acceptable to me. This is an abomination of the natural order of things.

Soldato
Alternatively "I will use stupid examples when they support my prejudices yet decry them when they don't".

Alternatively "I will ignore the point of the remark in both being impossible instead sling around insults to avoid the point, considering they are equally as ludicrous as one another"

Associate
So you would rather he suffered for the rest of his life increasing the chance that he will commit suicide just because of your own prejudice?

If he's ok to pay for it himself then he's welcome to whatever sort of unusual surgery he fancies.

When it's money from the average Joe's paypacket that's funding it, that's when it's an issue for me, and also normal taxpayers who aren't trying to further some weird agenda.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I don't agree that it's the best form of treatment, because as I pointed out; their mortality rates are much higher than normal people even after surgery.

I hadn't realised you have the suicide rates for pre-operative transsexuals vs post operative transsexuals. Could you let me know what the figures are, because I couldn't find that information at all.

Unless you are comparing post operative transsexuals with the general population, in which case you can obviously see why that would be a flawed comparison.

Even so, I don't necessarily disapprove of them going down this route if all other options have been exhausted. However these persons should not be viewed as natural women (or men) and we should not as a society pretend that this is normal.

Why not? What difference does it make if they are? After all treating them differently as some kind of unnatural abomination isn't really going to help is it?

In California there was a law passed to allow pre-op MTF to use the same facilities as girls in school. This is not acceptable to me. This is an abomination of the natural order of things.

Do you honestly think that separate toilet facilities are the "natural order of things"? Considering the layout of female toilets I am not entirely sure what the issue is either, it isn't like they will be using urinals...
Alternatively "I will ignore the point of the remark in both being impossible instead sling around insults to avoid the point, considering they are equally as ludicrous as one another"

Yes dear, of course dear.

Associate
If he's ok to pay for it himself then he's welcome to whatever sort of unusual surgery he fancies.

When it's money from the average Joe's paypacket that's funding it, that's when it's an issue for me, and also normal taxpayers who aren't trying to further some weird agenda.

That's not how a civilised society works, I don't do drugs, smoke or drink alcohol but I don't begrudge help on the NHS for addicts.

Not sure what weird agenda you are referring to, transgenders don't recruit into their cult like religious outfits, having an operation on themselves doesn't affect you in the slightest, unless you are scared that one might come onto you which I think is the core issue here.

Associate
That's not how a civilised society works, I don't do drugs, smoke or drink alcohol but I don't begrudge help on the NHS for addicts.

Not sure what weird agenda you are referring to, transgenders don't recruit into their cult like religious outfits, having an operation on themselves doesn't affect you in the slightest, unless you are scared that one might come onto you which I think is the core issue here.

I do begrudge that help. I don't want to pay for other people's mistakes. What sort of lesson is that teaching people?

Of course you think that's the issue because you suffer from "I think I'm cleverer than I really am" syndrome.

The agenda in question is that of people like you who want everyone to be just peachy with any weirdness so that their own possible issues aren't flung into the don't-be-ridiculous bin where they belong. That's my take on it anyway. Can't see any other reasons why a grown man would need to cry about anyone else's rights other than his own anyway. Unless it's gonna get him laid or make him money of course.

Back
Top Bottom