Fairness issue at work

Soldato
We have tracking on our vans as well, only ever get called out when they are left running idle (over 2 minutes) or when braking harshly.

Harsh braking is something you cannot avoid here in the South West with so many country lanes, 99% of the time you potter along at 20mph because you know the area well, only for some numpty to come barrelling down the road at 40mph forcing you to slam the anchors on.

Engine idle we cannot avoid, we run refrigerated vehicles and on hot days the fridge temperatures can increase quickly when the engine is switched off. We tell "management" this but they never listen so we ignore them. That's the problem with faceless companies and management that know sweet fa about the job, all they do is look at numbers and think yep lets do this or that.

Soldato
we have tracking on all our cars,

different way of doing things we have a leaderboard in the office of highest speed recorded

Man of Honour
I never understand companies that behave like this, they try and screw every last bit of everything out of employees it just makes people resentful and bitter and actually has the opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve (which is increased productivity)

I think the goals are cutting costs and increasing their power/justifying their own jobs, not increasing productivity. I think there's too much decreasing productivity for it to be explained solely by incompetence.

Soldato
I think the goals are cutting costs and increasing their power/justifying their own jobs, not increasing productivity. I think there's too much decreasing productivity for it to be explained solely by incompetence.

When it come's to productivity, the focus shouldn't just be on addressing staff members who are under performing, you also actually want to be able to highlight the staff members who are going above and beyond. I did this and showed there was a girl working twice as hard as anyone else, I sent an email to her manager showing this and she's now getting promoted above people who have worked there longer than her. It's a two way thing. It's generally nice to highlight the top 10% and bottom 10% of people, with the bottom 10% there might be training issues aside from them just being generally lazy. Productivity isn't a dirty word. Realistically companies aren't going to expect people to be working flat out 100% all the time, no one does that.

Soldato
A lot of companies have a punishment culture it seems. You'll also find they have a very high staff turnover as people get fed up and leave. In the end it costs them more.

I had it at one place. I found a much better job and jumped ship with no notice. Screwed them over pretty badly I found out later on as they lost their biggest customer over it lol (the contract said they had to have X number of people providing cover at all times, OFC they ran it on bare minimum and me leaving out of the blue put them in breach of contract).

Last edited:
Caporegime
A lot of companies have a punishment culture it seems. You'll also find they have a very high staff turnover as people get fed up and leave. In the end it costs them more.

I had it at one place. I found a much better job and jumped ship with no notice. Screwed them over pretty badly I found out later on as they lost their biggest customer over it lol (the contract said they had to have X number of people providing cover at all times, OFC they ran it on bare minimum and me leaving out of the blue put them in breach of contract).

Hilarious isn’t it, all about risk management for individual employees but none of it when it comes to the bigger picture.

Man of Honour
When it come's to productivity, the focus shouldn't just be on addressing staff members who are under performing, you also actually want to be able to highlight the staff members who are going above and beyond. I did this and showed there was a girl working twice as hard as anyone else, I sent an email to her manager showing this and she's now getting promoted above people who have worked there longer than her. It's a two way thing. It's generally nice to highlight the top 10% and bottom 10% of people, with the bottom 10% there might be training issues aside from them just being generally lazy. Productivity isn't a dirty word. Realistically companies aren't going to expect people to be working flat out 100% all the time, no one does that.

That's also true, but it's not a rebuttal to my post. It's a different issue. I was very clearly talking about things that reduce productivity and, more importantly from a business point of view, reduce profit. Nasher provides an example in the post after you, but it's one of many. Probably the most extreme and infamous example is Fukushima Daiichi, where excessive cost-cutting caused a nuclear power station to fail and a nuclear disaster to happen. Even ignoring the human cost, I'm sure the financial cost of that was a lot higher than the "savings" made by cutting costs.

Promotion is a different issue. I've had people promoted above me, more than once. No problem - they were more capable of the higher grade job than me. I'm in the middle 80% you didn't mention and I'm content with that.

Back
Top Bottom