Fake hate crime: Jussie Smollett paid two Nigerian brothers to attack him

Soldato
Chicago PD now openly calling for State Attorney Kim Fox to resign / be investigated. Not just about Smollet but about numerous other releases of criminals in general. Meanwhile Smollet has declined to pay the $130,000 fees.

Chicago PD are obviously absolutely ****** about this. But they also seem to be making a bit of a hash of things in their anger. Even if Smollet did it (which overwhelmingly looks to be the case), making someone pay for investigation costs is a bad principle. Additionally, this is now turning into an open battle between Chicago PD and entrenched Democrats and their supporters, turning it from being about Smollett's specific crimes into a general race furore.

Smollett probably pretty happy with how things are playing out, currently, even if he didn't get the race riots he wanted.

Soldato
Chicago PD are obviously absolutely ****** about this. But they also seem to be making a bit of a hash of things in their anger. Even if Smollet did it (which overwhelmingly looks to be the case), making someone pay for investigation costs is a bad principle.

If it was a real investigation that went know where, for sure.

But if this was resources that had been expended as a result of willful false allegations, why-ever not?

If somebody willfully wastes police time (Don't know if a specific offense as such in the US) why should they not be liable for any expenses that have been wasted on their behalf?

Soldato
If it was a real investigation that went know where, for sure.

But if this was resources that had been expended as a result of willful false allegations, why-ever not?

If somebody willfully wastes police time (Don't know if a specific offense as such in the US) why should they not be liable for any expenses that have been wasted on their behalf?

Because the only route by which police should be able to punish someone is via a court that determines their guilt. Any direct police-suspect route that bypasses that (e.g. civil forfeiture, suing over investigative costs, on the spot fines) is rife for abuse. Smollett is almost certainly guilty given what we know, given the actions of Chicago PD in this and given that the state attorney's office actually saying they believe he is even though they let him go. The way forward from there is a trial. Anything else, just though it might be in this case, is a precedent for future injustice.

Soldato
Because the only route by which police should be able to punish someone is via a court that determines their guilt. Any direct police-suspect route that bypasses that (e.g. civil forfeiture, suing over investigative costs, on the spot fines) is rife for abuse. Smollett is almost certainly guilty given what we know, given the actions of Chicago PD in this and given that the state attorney's office actually saying they believe he is even though they let him go. The way forward from there is a trial. Anything else, just though it might be in this case, is a precedent for future injustice.

Ok, I wasn't specifically suggesting that the Police should simply be able to send him a bill in the absence of any other due process, But under the circumstances I dont think it is particularly unreasonable that they should be able to sue for costs in the civil court.

The CPD can present their case that he probabally wasn't assaulted and He could present his case that he probabally was, and the Jury can decide.

It is not reasonable that somebody can make false allegations and cost other people huge sums of money with no consequence.

Caporegime
That would be the FBI who never bothered checking DNC servers for Russia hacking first hand and just took it at face value then spent the best part of 3 years trying to oust Trump over said conspiracy? yeah I'm sure they won't be influenced at all by politics.

Soldato
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/...ers-sue-actors-lawyers-defamation/3548531002/

So the brothers who played the part of attackers in the hoax are now suing Jussie Smollett for defamation. In essence their case is (paraphrasing) 'we did something stupid because he paid us, but we're sick of Smollett's attorney's bad-mouthing us, making up crap about "Whiteface" and implications we were anything other than just doing what Jussie paid us to do'. I think they must have a pretty solid case to try this. Same as with the police's original claims.

Can't wait to see the counter-arguments. "We didn't defame you, Jussie was just a co-conspirator". Doesn't really work. "We didn't defame you, it never happened despite previously us trying to put the blame on you for what happened". Even better.

Kimm Foxx has described Smollett as "washed up celeb who lied to the cops". Smollet's lawyers say he's innocent and that they "welcome a civil trial" (they might - they get paid by the hour). Smollet himself is on holiday in Hawaii.

Caporegime
I suspect it will show politically influenced policing, the best part is as with the Spygate investigation, Democrats will look like total hypocrits if they don't support full transparency after months of demanding it with the Mueller report.

Soldato
I suspect it will show politically influenced policing
It wasn't the policing, if was the AG office that was corrupt - the police were absolutely livid!

Democrats will look like total hypocrits if they don't support full transparency after months of demanding it with the Mueller report.
Russiagate has been going on for 2 years, I saw the Muller report was basically done nearly a year ago and he was sitting on it for ages.

I think this has Obama/Michele's fingerprints all over this via Kim Foxx, it's their back yard after all.. I'd just be happy to read it all and see what truly happened as it's clear to anyone that this case was meddled with from high up, and Smollett was good friends with the Obama's.

Associate
No idea who he is but watched the first 40 seconds of that and it seemed like a waste of time.

He's probably one of the best non-partisan journalists/commentators out there and was a founding member of Vice until they went full woke.

The left hate him because he's constantly calling them out on their lunacy and lies. The extreme far right hate him because he actually goes to alleged trouble spots and releases the film unedited.

Back
Top Bottom