• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

He is running 4400CL14 DDR4 which is much faster than the other Ryzen 7 5800X3D results?

He's not. That's the kit spec. He's then tuned it down keep in sync. Pay attention to his timings screenshot.

unknown.png

If you can run the RX6900XT also,even if the score is lower it doesn't matter because if it improves over the RX5700XT score,you could have the highest AMD score.
I'm now about to reinstall Windows, but once I've done that I'll maybe add some 6900 XT scores.
No offense @LtMatt but your scores don't line up with any of the x3d results. Nothing you're doing tuning wise is wildly beyond the capability of the chip limits.
The settings are definitely right this time, so not sure what else I can do and my screenshots look identical to all the others bar slightly different camera positions, but that's just trying to get close to the target draw calls as specified in the OP. FPS can change depending on where you look, I question this benchmark methodology.
He is running 4400CL14 DDR4 which is much faster than the other Ryzen 7 5800X3D results?
It's running at almost 4000Mhz CL14 with infinity fabric at close to 2000Mhz.

Feel free to leave my scores off the leader board guys, don't want to create an argument over a benchmark score. Not that bothered as it's a pain in the ass to run anyway so I can focus on other game benches.

He's not. That's the kit spec. He's then tuned it down keep in sync. Pay attention to his timings screenshot.

unknown.png

But interestingly enough the top score for the Ryzen 7 5800X3D was at stock,but with the best memory settings. So I would expect with betting memory settings and a slight overclock it should beat the JZ- has. The 1st test is only a few FPS higher(115FPS vs 120FPS),its the second test which is where the biggest improvement seems to be in.

I'm now about to reinstall Windows, but once I've done that I'll maybe add some 6900 XT scores.

The settings are definitely right this time, so not sure what else I can do and my screenshots look identical to all the others bar slightly different camera positions, but that's just trying to get close to the target draw calls as specified in the OP. FPS can change depending on where you look, I question this benchmark methodology.

It's running at almost 4000Mhz CL14 with infinity fabric at close to 2000Mhz.

Feel free to leave my scores off the leader board guys, don't want to create an argument over a benchmark score. Not that bothered as it's a pain in the ass to run anyway so I can focus on other game benches.
I knows it a PITA,so me and KompuKare appreciate the efforts of anyone who can run this benchmark! It simply does not have much benchmarking done on newer CPUs and dGPUs.

@LtMatt so that puts your 3090 score at the top of the leaderboard:
mK5P7d1.png
Although, you didn't mark your four screenshots, so I assumed the DiamondCity 152.1 was the 3090FE. The CorVega one was harder to differentiate so I'm unsure which is which - but then 122.3 vs 122.1 is almost margin of error anyhow.

All of those results were using the 3090 FE @KompuKare. I included two as my best scores were slightly below the required draw call count, but just wanted to highlight that camera position is key which is why I'm not that keen on this for a reliable benchmark but happy to contribute nontheless. I'll be back with much lower 6900 XT scores when I have time. I'd expect mine to be the fastest AMD GPU scores though so far.

All of those results were using the 3090 FE @KompuKare. I included two as my best scores were slightly below the required draw call count, but just wanted to highlight that camera position is key which is why I'm not that keen on this for a reliable benchmark but happy to contribute nontheless. I'll be back with much lower 6900 XT scores when I have time. I'd expect mine to be the fastest AMD GPU scores though so far.
Ah, okay, I won't repost the leaderboard until you add the 6900 XT then, but those two are an average 309FE then (which does explan why only the Nvidia driver version was given).

Yes, for a repeatable benchmark we'd really need a save with a frozen PC maybe propped up somehow so their FoV is where we need them. Don't know if the paralyse spell from TES is available in Fallout 4 though!

Ah, okay, I won't repost the leaderboard until you add the 6900 XT then, but those two are an average 309FE then (which does explan why only the Nvidia driver version was given).

Yes, for a repeatable benchmark we'd really need a save with a frozen PC maybe propped up somehow so their FoV is where we need them. Don't know if the paralyse spell from TES is available in Fallout 4 though!
I also don't mind my scores being removed if there is any doubt, but I'll leave that up to you.

Yes the 6900 XT score needs to be scrubbed. And if you must at least hit the required draw call count (11700/8000) or higher, then just use my slightly lower scores where this was done in both scenes.

Have a look at this. performance ascending;

Ryzen 3600: 3200MT/s

Ryzen 5600X: 3733MT/s
Ryzen 3900X: 3600MT/s
Ryzen 5800X: 3200MT/s
Ryzen 5600X: 3600MT/s
Ryzen 5800X3D: 3600MT/s

Intel 9900K: 3600MT/s
Intel 12700K: 3600MT/s

Ryzen 5950X: 3800MT/s
Intel 12600K: 3800MT/s
Intel 12600K: 4000MT/s

Ryzen 5800X3D: 3600MT/s
Ryzen 5800X3D: 3800MT/s

Intel 12600K: 4166MT/s

Ryzen 5800X3D: 4400MT/s AMD GPU

Intel 12900K: 7000MT/s
Ryzen 5800X3D: 4400MT/s Nvidia GPU

We have Ryzen 3000 series CPU's mixed in with Ryzen 5000 series CPU's, i pointed this out right from the start.
We also have a 9000 series CPU mixed in with 12000 series CPU's

The gaming performance difference between the 3000 and 5000 Ryzen CPU's is anything up to +50%, normally in gaming, they are vastly different CPU's.
Its the same for the Intel CPU's, the 12000 series is vastly faster than the 9000 series, normally.

The only real difference between these CPU's that relates to the performance is the RAM speed.
The performance in this game has little if anything to do with CPU architecture, Its almost irrelevant, its using some weird 2003 instruction set that makes its draw call computation run entirely in memory, like, as i said before, the X87 instruction set.

PS: WHAT SORT OF A PHILISTINE USES X87 FOR GAMES?????? Bethesda!!!! :confused:

Last edited:
The performance in this game has little if anything to do with CPU architecture, Its almost irrelevant, its using some weird 2003 instruction set that makes its draw call computation run entirely in memory, like, as i said before, the X87 instruction set.

PS: WHAT SORT OF A PHILISTINE USES X87 FOR GAMES?????? Bethesda!!!! :confused:
Interesting!
Can't easily graph that, so won't even attempt to.

Pretty sure Bethesda did compile Fallout 4 (and Skyrim SE) with the SSE flags as for the original Skyrim they were embarrassed by modders doing a x87 to SSE upgrade.

However, FO4 is notoriously memory dependent. And wasn't a memory stack the original way that Intel design x86 FPU in their hacky way back in the 1980s?

Could something crazy like that be how the FO4 engine works? Calculate the drawcalls on a memory stack (or something even crazier) the effect of which is that unless the memory system keeps up everything else stalls?

Interesting!
Can't easily graph that, so won't even attempt to.

Pretty sure Bethesda did compile Fallout 4 (and Skyrim SE) with the SSE flags as for the original Skyrim they were embarrassed by modders doing a x87 to SSE upgrade.

However, FO4 is notoriously memory dependent. And wasn't a memory stack the original way that Intel design x86 FPU in their hacky way back in the 1980s?

Could something crazy like that be how the FO4 engine works? Calculate the drawcalls on a memory stack (or something even crazier) the effect of which is that unless the memory system keeps up everything else stalls?

You're right about the early x86 hackery, had to look it up, i didn't know that.

Who knows but it seems to me Bethesda are being deliberately obtuse or somehow they haven't learned a thing from their engine getting hacked and improved by a bunch of basement nerds.

Memory architecture was very much slower in 2015 than it is now, performance must have been garbage on most peoples systems back then.

Honestly i do find this baffling, its like pulling 3 of the 4 spark-plugs in your engine and then pretending this is how its supposed to be.

Got some new results on my second PC with an RX5700XT borrowed off a mate.Will try and test my RX5600XT,my RTX3060TI and the old GTX960 4GB I have at some point.

Specifications
Core i5 10400 set at 80W power(short and long duration power).
Alpenfohn Black Ridge low profile CPU cooler
Asus PRIME B460I-Plus mini-ITX motherboard
16GB 3200MHZ RAM(run at 2666CL15-17-17-36 2T)
500GB WD SN700 NVME SSD

The CPU seems to run at 4006MHZ consistently.

aXlkAsH.jpeg E16gtul.jpeg

Diamond City=64.4FPS(Drawcalls=8016)
Corvega=54.93FPS(Drawcalls=11730)

Last edited:
I get 50 FPS on my 5800x pegged at 4850mhz with 3733mhz dual rank c17 memory in Diamond City.

I also cannot remove the FPS cap after doing all things mentioned and Vsync disabled in the NVCP.

So a far worse CPU result than my prior 5600x even though the CPU is running at a higher clock and with dual rank memory.

Naa I am good. Trash engine.

The only thing to work right this time was drawcalls.

Back
Top Bottom