• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

I have run this on two different systems with three different CPUs, and 4 graphics cards so far, so not sure what you are doing wrong(I have a whole tranche of results to add). The ini files have to be changed per the instructions copied over from AT forums and Vsync has to be disabled in Nvidia drivers.

My Ryzen 7 5700X was pretty much close to Humbug's score, so not sure why you are not beating both our systems!! There is a Ryzen 5 5600x in the table with faster RAM which topped our scores. Plus the Ryzen 7 5800X3D is the leading CPU.

Last edited:
Some more updates on the Core i5 10400 system.

AMD Driver: Adrenalin 22.5.2
Nvidia Driver:512.95

RX5600XT Pulse

mDX6gJM.jpg NzJNMqY.jpg

Corvega=54.67FPS(11710 Drawcalls)
Diamond City=64.33FPS(8033.33 Drawcalls)

RTX3060TI FE

VnIUwJY.jpg WM280M8.jpg

Corvega=61.67FPS(11717 Drawcalls)
Diamond City=72.53FPS(8028.67 Drawcalls)

GTX960 4GB Windforce 2X

9R3zJF6.jpg
J6b21P7.jpg

Corvega=58.5FPS(11707.33 Drawcalls)
Diamond City=65.8FPS(8027.33 Drawcalls)

Edit!!

It appears whilst fiddling around with the rig the CPU cooler got knocked a tad loose for the GTX960 run!

8ZCm0fD.jpeg 3TDgOjo.jpeg

Corvega=61.2FPS(11715.67 Drawcalls)
Diamond City=72.67FPS(8024.67 Drawcalls)

@humbug Good spot on the high temperatures!

Last edited:
Your Core i5 10400 is a warm, next time someone says Zen 3 runs hot i'm pointing them to this thread :D

It's in 6 litre mini-ITX case with one of these 47MM low profile coolers:

So it does run very toasty. Having said that thanks for the comment - noticed the CPU was running a bit too warm for the last run,so might re-run it.

The Ryzen 7 5700X is in a 12.7 litre NCase M1 with the following cooler:

It's still low profile at 70MM,and the case has more cooling but I am surprised how well behaved the B2 stepping Zen3 CPUs are. Still get boosts upto 4.65GHZ!!

Ok so 4.7ghz manual OC Inf Fabric at 1935mhz or so 1:1, AMD cooling and power optmizations all off, I hit just under the 5950x in single core with this OC but lose a tad of multithreaded as expected.

Went from 50 to 58 FPS, still below the 5600X with PBO enabled.

However on the Corvega run using Process Lasso to run Fallout 4 in real time priority I went up to 67FPS, but saw no change in diamond city at 58 FPS again.

All results diabolically below an inferior CPU. What gives?

Memory is at CL17 in the bios but reports as 18 in CPU-Z likely a reading bug.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

3.png

4.png

Last edited:
Result disabling HPET in the bios to see if it halted performance with previous performance enhancers on.

LOL absolutely pitiful.

Completely unreliable and decided how it wants to perform regardless of draw calls.

My conclusion is that the engine is dog turd and you should stop benching with it.

Untitled.png

Maybe the resolution is not being set properly? Graphics driver re-install ?But you seem to be having the worst Zen3 scores for some reason? I have run this a few times and get mostly similar performance.

Humbug's Ryzen 7 5800X/RTX2070 Super,my Ryzen 7 5700X/RTX3060TI and the AT forums person's Ryzen 5 5600X/RTX3080TI are all within a few FPS of each other which sort of makes sense. Someone also mentioned their Ryzen 7 5800X/RTX3080 result on here and it matched up too. The Ryzen 7 5800X3D results are all clustered within a similar grouping at the top. The Zen2 results with an Nvidia GPU also seem to reasonably close together(the Ryzen 9 has higher clockspeeds and was run with faster RAM).

Will have a play around with DXVK and see if that helps boost performance - good spot.

Maybe the resolution is not being set properly? Graphics driver re-install ?But you seem to be having the worst Zen3 scores for some reason? I have run this a few times and get mostly similar performance.

Humbug's Ryzen 7 5800X/RTX2070 Super,my Ryzen 7 5700X/RTX3060TI and the AT forums person's Ryzen 5 5600X/RTX3080TI are all within a few FPS of each other which sort of makes sense. Someone also mentioned their Ryzen 7 5800X/RTX3080 result on here and it matched up too. The Ryzen 7 5800X3D results are all clustered within a similar grouping at the top. The Zen2 results with an Nvidia GPU also seem to reasonably close together(the Ryzen 9 has higher clockspeeds and was run with faster RAM).

Will have a play around with DXVK and see if that helps boost performance - good spot.
I have tried all sorts other than a driver reinstall, it would not make much sense that a fresh Windows install (From when I moved the 5800X to the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite from the previous MSI B550i MPG Gaming Max WiFi...) Would be worse than the 5600x in the previous MSI board.

The difference I can see though is that the Gigabyte board has no ability to lock in maximum boost clocks like you could with the 5600x with PBO enabled, but that still does not count the fact that this chip is clocked higher but also running a superior RAM configuration which is 2x64-Bit = dual rank.

I have messed with PCI-E Gen revisions to no avail, in fact I lost like 15 FPS moving to Gen 2.0 LOL.

I have turned on and off a 3DMark performance enhancement setting in the bios which is a legacy option and that did nothing either.

I am on the latest bios for the motherboard so latest AGESA too.

The RTX 3070 is having no troubles, the OC applied right now is the most efficient my CPU has ever been only reaching 74c max as opposed to 83c on auto with max boost hitting 4875mhz.

I can reinstall the driver for the GPU but I am at the point where I just know nothing is going to change, especially when a wrapper makes such a massive difference and the game don't crash.

I have tried all sorts other than a driver reinstall, it would not make much sense that a fresh Windows install (From when I moved the 5800X to the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite from the previous MSI B550i MPG Gaming Max WiFi...) Would be worse than the 5600x in the previous MSI board.

The difference I can see though is that the Gigabyte board has no ability to lock in maximum boost clocks like you could with the 5600x with PBO enabled, but that still does not count the fact that this chip is clocked higher but also running a superior RAM configuration which is 2x64-Bit = dual rank.

I have messed with PCI-E Gen revisions to no avail, in fact I lost like 15 FPS moving to Gen 2.0 LOL.

I have turned on and off a 3DMark performance enhancement setting in the bios which is a legacy option and that did nothing either.

I am on the latest bios for the motherboard so latest AGESA too.

The RTX 3070 is having no troubles, the OC applied right now is the most efficient my CPU has ever been only reaching 74c max as opposed to 83c on auto with max boost hitting 4875mhz.

I can reinstall the driver for the GPU but I am at the point where I just know nothing is going to change, especially wnena wrapper makes such a massive difference and the game don't crash.
I am just trying to think why you are getting those results. I am running the Ryzen 7 5700X under a low profile Noctua L12S in an NCase M1 with an Asus B450I Strix - so you should be certainly above me(and Humbug) in performance!

It could be the difference between motherboard, I mean the Aorus Elite suffers on total CPU score but does well in gaming.

FO4 is very CPU / memory sensitive so it may be hitting the weakness of my motherboard. The game uses so little of the CPU yet demands the peak thread performance which if I look at CPU results for my board on Tom's Hardware it is below most ASUS boards except the TUF which is a very low performer, a bit better than the lowest crap like Biostar.

Okay, added CAT's extra entries and stooeh's too (left Tired9's results out as they are all over the place for now):
YeWsy3s.png
The chart is getting a bit crowded now.

@Tired9
Looking at your screenshots I notice two things: they are not at 640x480 as the Fallotu4Prefs.ini should have set them. Also your ENB has a FSP limit applied. Now it is 700+ but unsure whether ENB has any overhead because of trying to even consider any FSP limits.

For Fallout 4 itself, we change the ini but for the ENB we rely on the defaults. This could be an issue if some future version of ENB defaults to some setting which matters for these benchmarks, but I don't think this has been the case so far.

Okay, added CAT's extra entries and stooeh's too (left Tired9's results out as they are all over the place for now):

The chart is getting a bit crowded now.

@Tired9
Looking at your screenshots I notice two things: they are not at 640x480 as the Fallotu4Prefs.ini should have set them. Also your ENB has a FSP limit applied. Now it is 700+ but unsure whether ENB has any overhead because of trying to even consider any FSP limits.

For Fallout 4 itself, we change the ini but for the ENB we rely on the defaults. This could be an issue if some future version of ENB defaults to some setting which matters for these benchmarks, but I don't think this has been the case so far.

I have tested at 600x480 and still get the same results.

I tested with the latest driver and the one prior driver from Nvidia, no difference.
Was using the latest ENB from the ENB site.

I may do a small test to see if my CPU is under performing in other games too.

In Resident Evil 2 on Steam, put the game into windowed mode and to 1366x769 res with lowest settings.
In extra modes load up "No Time To Mourn" And watch what FPS you get, jot down your minimum to maximum FPS here after around 20 seconds.

I went from 468 - 490 FPS.

The engine seems to have a 600 FPS cap.

3DMark results.

Untitled4.png.b2b756558c51effb1bb5181d2621955b.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom