• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

Caporegime
I'm confused by this, for one it reads like double dutch it makes no sense and there is no 'Fallout4Pref.ini' in the steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4 folder

Now in the steamapps\common\Fallout 4 folder find Fallout4_Default.ini and do the same. In the steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4 folder the other copy of Fallout4Pref.ini and do the same.

Caporegime
5800X stock

hhmmm... really not good, i don't know what extensions this game is using but the 5800X being clocked 15% higher than your Zen 2 core is only chucking out that many more FPS, at best, the IPC difference between Zen 2 and Zen 3 seems to account for nothing :cry:

Some sort of weird emulation going on because its missing the required extensions?

Not worth it for you mate :)

FA45.jpg

FA46.jpg

Soldato
OP
5800X stock

hhmmm... really not good, i don't know what extensions this game is using but the 5800X being clocked 15% higher than your Zen 2 core is only chucking out that many more FPS, at best, the IPC difference between Zen 2 and Zen 3 seems to account for nothing :cry:

Some sort of weird emulation going on because its missing the required extensions?

Not worth it for you mate :)

FA45.jpg

FA46.jpg

When I went from Zen+ to Zen2 the performance bump was quite noticeable. It does make me wonder whether something weird is going on.

My results were:

3.)511.23 and 32GB 3600C16 DDR4

Did three runs of each.

Corvega=63 FPS(Drawcalls=11726.67)
Diamond City= 73.73FPS(Drawcalls=8013.33)

The first test isn't almost the same but the second one for you is 25% more. So that definitely the extra IPC/8 core CCX is making some difference,but the first one isn't much higher for some weird reason!

What RAM speed are you using - maybe when you reset the CPU to stock it reset the RAM back too? I was running 3600C16 with a bit of tuning.

What performance are you get at the 5GHZ?? It could be the CPU isn't boosting properly because the load isn't enough?

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I went from Zen+ to Zen2 the performance bump was quite noticeable. It does make me wonder whether something weird is going on.

My results were:

The first test isn't almost the same but the second one for you is 25% more. So that definitely the extra IPC/8 core CCX is making some difference,but the first one isn't much higher for some weird reason!

What RAM speed are you using - maybe when you reset the CPU to stock it reset the RAM back too? I was running 3600C16 with a bit of tuning.

What performance are you get at the 5GHZ?? It could be the CPU isn't boosting properly because the load isn't enough?

3200MT/s
16-18-18-38-56

Its #### RAM, cost me £90 for 32GB, bargain at the time.

Soldato
OP
3200MT/s
16-18-18-38-56

Its #### RAM, cost me £90 for 32GB, bargain at the time.

Did you reset the CPU back to stock,or is it running at 5GHZ? The second test was a decent improvement,still not certain what is happening with the first one! The 5GHZ Core i5 12600K was only 20% faster and is running at much higher RAM speeds,and Fallout 4 seems to benefit from it.

Associate
On a 5950x with 3800 CL16 at average of 4.85Ghz on what appears to be one thread in HWinfo ( its boost so it wavers) it I get ~86 and ~106 on the two levels, try as I might I could not catch the Intels....Boo :) , tried 1CCD and with SMT, no diff.

Soldato
OP
On a 5950x with 3800 CL16 at average of 4.85Ghz on what appears to be one thread in HWinfo ( its boost so it wavers) it I get ~86 and ~106 on the two levels, try as I might I could not catch the Intels....Boo :) , tried 1CCD and with SMT, no diff.

Thanks! It's not too far off the lower of the Core i5 12600K results.

With GPU do you have?

Stock, no idea....

The first result seems quite low considering the second test seems in line with the other Zen3 numbers so far.

Associate
I'll do a test where i leave the cpu oc, primary timings and frequency in place but put all the secondary and tertiary timings on auto. Let's see how much impact the sub timings have on performance. Anyone want to guess?

Soldato
OP
I'll do a test where i leave the cpu oc, primary timings and frequency in place but put all the secondary and tertiary timings on auto. Let's see how much impact the sub timings have on performance. Anyone want to guess?

Fallout 4 really likes RAM speed/latency - I expect the tighter sub-timings will make a difference!
3080 Ti but I doubt that test taxes any GPU, more likely be limited by Nvidias driver overhead at that res.

In the game AMD GPUs have more issues - Nvidia DX11 drivers implement a primitive form of multithreading, but the tables are turned in DX12/Vulkan.

Time for another leaderboad:
iQUX51o.png
I included one of the results from the AT thread too:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...nce-in-fallout-4.2548618/page-4#post-40641600
That user, gamervivek, upgraded from a 5800X to 12700KF with the rest of the system staying the same.

Humbug uses a Ryzen 7 5800X.

Last edited:
Associate
Fallout 4 really likes RAM speed/latency -, I expect the tighter sub-timings will make a difference!

In the game AMD GPUs have more issues - Nvidia DX11 drivers implement a primitive form of multithreading, but the tables are turned in DX12/Vulkan.

Humbug uses a Ryzen 7 5800X.
Copy & paste error! Let me fix it up there.

Back
Top Bottom