• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

Hmmm.....

I noticed nobody showed if they had the ENB series enabled or not (Effects)

Turns out it gave about 3 FPS more, then I went into bios and chose the MSI game mode setting for the CPU which locks CPU clocks.

4670mhz CPU with 3733 and ENB off.

I did wonder what crack you guys you were smoking if you thought a 3700x comes close to a 5600x LOL if this game is really as single threaded as you say it is.

Something phucky with this game and the huge disparity in results too.

Crap Benchmark, thanks for the effort though OP.

I mean the CPU hitters like Tomb Raider show the IPC advantage of Zen 3.

Untitled3.png

Untitled5.png

It is unique among games in that Zen 3 does really quite badly, worse than a 9900K.

I'm not going to but i could run a quick google search and have a dozen slides with games of all types where Zen 3 blows the 9900K away by as much as 60%.

Fallout has always had some seriously whacky performance on AMD CPU's, as far back as Phenom and Bulldozer, i know Bulldozer was always a bad CPU but it was bad even for that.

I thought this thread was going to be about what the #### is wrong with this game engine? No joke, old timers like me know something is up with it, probably compiled on one of Intel's dodgy compliers of 20 years ago, again i'm not joking.

I thought this was going to be an academic exercise, not an actual benchmark thread, with this game???????

It is unique among games in that Zen 3 does really quite badly, worse than a 9900K.

I'm not going to but i could run a quick google search and have a dozen slides with games of all types where Zen 3 blows the 9900K away by as much as 60%.

Fallout has always had some seriously whacky performance on AMD CPU's, as far back as Phenom and Bulldozer, i know Bulldozer was always a bad CPU but it was bad even for that.

I thought this thread was going to be about what the #### is wrong with this game engine? No joke, old timers like me know something is up with it, probably compiled on one of Intel's dodgy compliers of 20 years ago, again i'm not joking.

I thought this was going to be an academic exercise, not an actual benchmark thread, with this game???????
I forgot all about how bad those CPU's were too, I used to rock an AM3 system with a 955 BE. then went to a dual core that unlocked to a B55 and did more on the core to boot (Very lucky chip).

I doubt we would get any clarity on Fallout's engine... it is an old timer for sure.

I forgot all about how bad those CPU's were too, I used to rock an AM3 system with a 955 BE. then went to a dual core that unlocked to a B55 and did more on the core to boot (Very lucky chip).

I doubt we would get any clarity on Fallout's engine... it is an old timer for sure.

Ironically the 3570K was up to 30% faster in games than the FX-8320, the 3570K was $235, the FX-8320 $160.

The consensus then was "under no circumstance buy the AMD CPU, buy the Intel"

A decade later the 5600X is up to 30% faster than the 10700K, the former $299, the latter $374, no one argued the 10700K was over priced or a comparatively bad CPU, some even argued the 5600X was over priced.

However people actually faced with this buying choice clearly disagreed with this noise, because they are not blind.

Me and KompuKare really just wanted to see relative performance in this game,because its old,DX11 and never tested on newer CPUs and what sort of relative performance we would get from each option. The performance in this test is a best case scenario.I know very well a Core i7 6700K slightly outperforms my Ryzen 7 3700X in this.

This is not so much a discussion about what brand is best - both me and Kompukare have AMD CPUs when we knew Intel would be better. What we want to know is how much of an upgrade the newer CPUs are,and whether we should just wait for a new platform.

If you actually run it,especially with settlement building and the various mods,drawcalls can easily hit 20000,so the 11700 drawcall test is not too hard. It basically becomes a bit like Minecraft with an RPG/FPS bit. Mods like Sim Settlements 2 also change the game in massive ways,with its focus on settlements. My main Sanctuary Hills settlement with Sim Settlements 2 is hitting nearly 60 NPCs IIRC.

In one playthough I build a skyscraper settlement with 30 stories and 50+ NPCs. Fallout 4 and Skyrim still have a reasonable amount of players and the last reviews stopped at Zen+ and its only been the odd forum post after that.

Also,another reason - Starfield is probably going to be the last game to use the Creation Engine,and the first single player game made on Creation Engine since Zen launched(and will be on consoles).It most likely will have a build system too. It will be interesting to benchmark that too and see if the engine has gotten some Zen optimisations and optimisations for RDNA2.

Last edited:
Me and KompuKare really just wanted to see relative performance in this game,because its old and never tested and what sort of relative performance we would get from each option. Fallout 4 and Skyrim still have a reasonable amount of players and the last reviews stopped at Zen+ and its only been the odd forum post after that.

Also,another reason - Starfield is probably going to be the last game to use Creation,and the first single player game made on Creation Engine since Zen launched(and will be on consoles). It will be interesting to benchmark that too and see if the engine has gotten some Zen optimisations.

Is Starfield uses this engine it will be another Elite Dangerous Odyssey flop given it is now the game cited as the next Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is what it is because of its engine complexity which enables it to function as a fully open world without load screens or instancing on a massive scale, a scale way beyond anything ever seen before.

Because of that its very heavy even on 32 thread CPU's, Frontier Development tried to make a Star Citizen competitor in Odyssey without that complexity and it flopped, hard, this benchmark barely even registered on my CPU, it was near idle.

PS: i am, was? looking forward to Starfield.

Last edited:
Is Starfield uses this engine it will be another Elite Dangerous Odyssey flop given it is now the game cited as the next Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is what it is because of its engine complexity which enables it to function as a fully open world with out load screens or instancing on a massive scale, a scale way beyond anything ever seen before.

Because of that its very heavy even on 32 thread CPU's, Frontier Development tried to make a Star Citizen competitor in Odyssey without that complexity and it flopped, hard, this benchmark barely even registered on my CPU, it was idle.

PS: i am, was? looking forward to Starfield.

It's not going to be that type of game IMHO. I expect its more likely to something close to The Outer Worlds but on a larger scale. So an RPG in space,with certain exploration aspects,a degree of base building,etc.
Actually WRT to the engine I got it wrong. Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6 are using Creation Engine 2. So it could be made from the ground up to run on AMD CPUs,because of the consoles. Fallout 4/Skyrim were mostly PC titles shoehorned onto consoles.

It's not going to be that type of game IMHO. I expect its more likely to something close to The Outer Worlds but on a larger scale. So an RPG in space,with certain exploration aspects,a degree of base building,etc.
Actually WRT to the engine I got it wrong. Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6 are using Creation Engine 2. So it could be made from the ground up to run on AMD CPUs,because of the consoles. Fallout 4/Skyrim were mostly PC titles shoehorned onto consoles.

You make a good point about consoles, whatever is wrong with this engine cannot be ignored anymore if they want it on consoles.

Strange brigade upon testing with maxed settings and 1024x768 res is GPU bound with the 5600x under DX12, I will test lowest settings to see if the GPU is no longer the bottleneck as SB may well be too! optimized.

Your bench results for this game are in your documents folder as mention in game anyway.

Strange Brigade Benchmark Report
================================
Created: 2022-02-25 at 02:01:53
Build Version: 1.47.22.14 D3D12

Average FPS: 318.4
Minimum FPS: 123.7
Maximum FPS: 484.8

Number Of Frames: 19107
Total time: 60.0s
Average Frame: 3.140ms
Minimum Frame: 2.063ms
Maximum Frame: 8.082ms

1st Percentile: 2.254ms
3rd Percentile: 2.343ms
5th Percentile: 2.397ms
95th Percentile: 3.888ms
97th Percentile: 4.038ms
99th Percentile: 4.227ms

Machine Name: MENNYPC

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
System RAM: 16310MB
Number of Cores: 12

GPU Name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Number of GPUs: 1
API: D3D12
API Driver: 30.0.15.1165
Dedicated VRAM: 8043MB

Monitors: 1
Output HDR: OFF
Display Width: 1024
Display Height: 768

Render Scale: 1.40
Render Width: 1433
Render Height: 1075

Texture Detail: ULTRA
Shadows Detail: ULTRA
Draw Distance: ULTRA
Anti-aliasing: ULTRA
Anisotropic Level: 16
Tessellation: ON
Ambient Occlusion: ON
Obscurance Fields: ON
Motion Blur: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
Reduce Mouse Lag: OFF

1080P will put the load onto the GPU for some, my 3070 was going between 75-93% usage on lowest at 1024x768.

Created: 2022-02-25 at 02:06:48
Build Version: 1.47.22.14 D3D12

Average FPS: 482.6
Minimum FPS: 275.2
Maximum FPS: 694.3

Number Of Frames: 28955
Average Frame: 2.072ms
Minimum Frame: 1.440ms
Maximum Frame: 3.633ms

1st Percentile: 1.604ms
3rd Percentile: 1.674ms
5th Percentile: 1.722ms
95th Percentile: 2.481ms
97th Percentile: 2.545ms
99th Percentile: 2.665ms

API: D3D12
API Driver: 30.0.15.1165

Texture Detail: LOW
Shadows Detail: LOW
Draw Distance: LOW
Anti-aliasing: LOW
Anisotropic Level: 1
Tessellation: OFF
Ambient Occlusion: OFF
Obscurance Fields: OFF
Motion Blur: OFF

The Vulkan renderer is far faster with the RTX 3070 and my 5600X but suffers on minimum, I did count 1 stutter, people with a Radeon GPU should test both API's too to see which is faster for them.

Created: 2022-02-25 at 02:15:35
Build Version: 1.47.22.14 Vulkan

Average FPS: 541.8
Minimum FPS: 30.8
Maximum FPS: 893.8

Number Of Frames: 32509
Average Frame: 1.846ms
Minimum Frame: 1.119ms
Maximum Frame: 32.513ms

1st Percentile: 1.364ms
3rd Percentile: 1.419ms
5th Percentile: 1.451ms
95th Percentile: 2.311ms
97th Percentile: 2.382ms
99th Percentile: 2.524ms

API: Vulkan
API Driver: 1.3.194 - 511.260.0

Texture Detail: LOW
Shadows Detail: LOW
Draw Distance: LOW
Anti-aliasing: LOW
Anisotropic Level: 1
Tessellation: OFF
Ambient Occlusion: OFF
Obscurance Fields: OFF
Motion Blur: OFF

EDIT...

Second run has better minimums. CPU limits do usually incur stutter penalties.

Created: 2022-02-25 at 02:18:57
Build Version: 1.47.22.14 Vulkan

Average FPS: 551.9
Minimum FPS: 150.0
Maximum FPS: 834.4

Number Of Frames: 33113
Average Frame: 1.812ms
Minimum Frame: 1.199ms