• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

Same cpu oc, same primary timings and frequency but only put the subs on auto:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

To me, that's a notable delta and well worth extracting the performance out of the system you already have.

Had a little go with my NAS which has a 4650G running stock which is about 4.3Ghz and has 64Gb CL22 ECC RAM @ 2933 and a 1080Ti just because I was testing GPU after a rebuild of air cooler, not stellar numbers as you might expect with less cache and slow RAM leading to poor latency ~48 and ~60 for the two scenarios

Same cpu oc, same primary timings and frequency but only put the subs on auto:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

To me, that's a notable delta and well worth extracting the performance out of the system you already have.

It's why I tried tuning the subtimings on my system too. If you look at the Ryzen 5 3600 result with 3200CL16,my Ryzen 7 3700X was running about the same clockspeed but at 3600CL16 and they performance increase was noticeable. I also found Fallout 4 to be a good test of game stable RAM overclocks too.

Had a little go with my NAS which has a 4650G running stock which is about 4.3Ghz and has 64Gb CL22 ECC RAM @ 2933 and a 1080Ti just because I was testing GPU after a rebuild of air cooler, not stellar numbers as you might expect with less cache and slow RAM leading to poor latency ~48 and ~60 for the two scenarios

That is a noticeably drop in performance!

To be fair have the board set in 35w mode, so it might be capped but didn't appear to be, the performance is not a million miles away from a 3600 in the table above and the 4650 is a 3600 with less cache and in my case running on slow server RAM.

The clockspeed is somewhat higher,and its mostly a lightly threaded test. But it could be the RAM,but the APUs have the memory controller on-die,so should help a bit in that regard. I suspect its a bit of the RAM and a bit of the cache.

Here's my 9900k which is very dialed in as well:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Goes without saying, ADL absolutely crushes it with without timings tune. With tuned, it's a different level. Same mem kit btw. Just cfl has no "gears" and tops out higher.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html

Got this when it came out a couple of years back. It was 100 back then lol
Interesting. I've also found that I often get better results with lower speed but tighter timings memory then higher speed loser timing (both b die).

If loved to see the difference between running your memory tuned and at the stock 3600 c14 (or even 3600 c16 for more representative speeds). All other things being equal.

Interesting. I've also found that I often get better results with lower speed but tighter timings memory then higher speed loser timing (both b die).

If loved to see the difference between running your memory tuned and at the stock 3600 c14 (or even 3600 c16 for more representative speeds). All other things being equal.

50/45 and xmp at 14-15-15/3600. Auto subs. Important note here is that a tuned system will also have much higher minimums. While comparing averages are fine, if you were doing actual gameplay the minimums of an untuned system will show much bigger deltas.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hmmm.....

I noticed nobody showed if they had the ENB series enabled or not (Effects)

Turns out it gave about 3 FPS more, then I went into bios and chose the MSI game mode setting for the CPU which locks CPU clocks.

4670mhz CPU with 3733 and ENB off.

I did wonder what crack you guys you were smoking if you thought a 3700x comes close to a 5600x LOL if this game is really as single threaded as you say it is.

Something phucky with this game and the huge disparity in results too.

Crap Benchmark, thanks for the effort though OP.

I mean the CPU hitters like Tomb Raider show the IPC advantage of Zen 3.

Untitled3.png

Untitled5.png

Last edited:
I did wonder what crack you guys you were smoking if you thought a 3700x comes close to a 5600x LOL if this game is really as single threaded as you say it is.

Something phucky with this game and the huge disparity in results too.

Crap Benchmark, thanks for the effort though OP.

I mean the CPU hitters like Tomb Raider show the IPC advantage of Zen 3.
We're back to that IPC word. Instructions-per-cycle. Nice but not in any way precise as what we really want is performance while running task X which is pretty different. Let's call it ipcX. Problem is that a CPU (or maybe we should say system as memory etc. plays a huge role) which is very good at ipcX may not be as good at ipcY (that is performance while running task Y), or ipcZ.

It may be mostly single-threaded as the Process Explorer shot I posted in #12 shows one thread being far more used than the others.For some reason, the engine used for Fallout 4 (and Skyrim etc.) doesn't do that well on certain processers.

At the end of the day, this benchmark measures one thing only: the performance you get when running Fallout 4 at those GPU low settings. So ipcFO4 or even ipcFO4low. And this may not even be the same as ipcSkyrim despite being based on the same engine.

A lot of tests are not with older games based on un-updated engines. But based on a standard FPS test,a Core i7 6700K is slightly ahead than my Ryzen 7 3700X for example in the game.

Many are probably better optimised for Intel CPUs,but for me I wanted to see how much Zen3 improved over Zen2. In the Diamond City test which uses less drawcalls but also has more NPCs,the improvements over Zen2 are pretty decent,but Intel is better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom