• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
Nice one Ubisoft.

Take the AMD coin then deliberately limit RT quality so as not to embarrass AMD cards when being compared to Nvidia GPU's...

Caporegime
Nice one Ubisoft.

Take the AMD coin then deliberately limit RT quality so as not to embarrass AMD cards when being compared to Nvidia GPU's...
I am guessing by your salty post you are using a 3080?
I dont like the fact that it goes into 3rd person mode in the 1st place.
It would look so much better graphically with a camera view behind the car/horse.

I don't understand why they took out the different camera angles when driving from Far Cry 5.

Caporegime
ubisofts forum is full of people having issues:

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/top...pping-in-the-game-is-blurry?lang=en-US&page=1

For those having texture issues even when not using HD texture pack, might be worth trying this:

!) Go to Your C:/ Drive
2) Locate Your Documents Folder
3) Open the My Games Folder (This should be the same for everyone)
4) Open the Far Cry 6 Folder
5) Copy and Save a backup of all the files in the Far Cry 6 Folder
6) Delete all of the files inside of the Far Cry 6 Folder
7) Start Far Cry 6 again (The game will start as though it was installed for the first time and do a full shader install)

Associate
It would look so much better graphically with a camera view behind the car/horse.

I don't understand why they took out the different camera angles when driving from Far Cry 5.

They often do this when they haven't fully animated something. I recall a recent game that was meant to be 3rd person but went 1st because they hadn't finished the character animations.

Agree that it would be better in 3rd person though. Those jumping/ledge "puzzles" were a pain in 1st person as well.

Associate

Sorry I meant when you are walking, when you are driving/riding a horse I often prefer a "chase" view. Its funny because if you are in a town running, the moment that you go from 3rd person to 1st person, it looks like you went from 2MPH to 50MPH lol

Caporegime
Sorry I meant when you are walking, when you are driving/riding a horse I often prefer a "chase" view. Its funny because if you are in a town running, the moment that you go from 3rd person to 1st person, it looks like you went from 2MPH to 50MPH lol
Wait, there's a button to change camera angle?

Associate
Wait, there's a button to change camera angle?
No, I was agreeing with you on the fact that driving/riding a horse with a "3rd person view" would look much better. When I play Forza I always use a 3rd person view because I play with a controller, and Im just used to it at this point.

Caporegime
No, I was agreeing with you on the fact that driving/riding a horse with a "3rd person view" would look much better. When I play Forza I always use a 3rd person view because I play with a controller, and Im just used to it at this point.
Damn! You had me excited for one moment, only to cruelly kick me in the nads with a firm No.

Associate
More evidence of AMD sabotaging the VRAM requirements for this game. According to the Special K modder, the game allocates the entirety of the GPU VRAM when started but keeps aside 1GB as headroom and never uses it. Meaning, only 9GB of the 10GB on the 3080 is used and only 11GB of VRAM from the 3080 Ti is available when 12GB is needed for the pack and the card has it available for use. The AMD flagships have 16GB of VRAM so even with this buffer, they remain unaffected.

Caporegime
More evidence of AMD sabotaging the VRAM requirements for this game. According to the Special K modder, the game allocates the entirety of the GPU VRAM when started but keeps aside 1GB as headroom and never uses it. Meaning, only 9GB of the 10GB on the 3080 is used and only 11GB of VRAM from the 3080 Ti is available when 12GB is needed for the pack and the card has it available for use. The AMD flagships have 16GB of VRAM so even with this buffer, they remain unaffected.
Okay Shaz, that's enough internet for you today.
TVN6sJk.png

Permabanned
rdr2 also behaves the same thing; as a matter of fact it openly tells you that it allocates 7.2 gb for game and 800 mb for other apps;

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...ing_issue_with_other_apps_using_gpu_how_do_i/

guess what even rockstar launcher itself uses a healthy chunk of vram

windows dwm compositor itself uses vram. ubisoft connect itself and its overlay also uses vram

its not a bad approach, every game must leave some vram headroom for other apps to fit in. a usual 1440p-4k windows dwm compositor itsellf will easily eat 300+ megabytes of vram on any given day and will usually increase to 500-600 mb off usage in prolonged sessions. check yourself if u want to, it is possible to do so within task manager details section but you need to specificailly enabled dedicated gpu memory tracking from column section

even if the game allocates only 9 out of 10 gigs, u may still see 9.5-10 gb of total usage, because otherr stuff also uses vram. this is an important note, you simply can't give all the 10 gb to game.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay Shaz, that's enough internet for you today.
TVN6sJk.png
Is this VRAM usage “per process”? This is important because this never crosses 11GB on my 3080 Ti. Allocated VRAM is around 12GB. That’s nothing new. What’s important is the per process usage.

Caporegime
Is this VRAM usage “per process”? This is important because this never crosses 11GB on my 3080 Ti. Allocated VRAM is around 12GB. That’s nothing new. What’s important is the per process usage.
It’s normal, same thing happens on the 6700XT as that has 12GB. The rest is reserved for the OS which can use over 500mb alone and background apps. I’m surprised you don’t know this.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It’s normal, same thing happens on the 6700XT as that has 12GB. The rest is reserved for the OS which can use over 50B alone and background apps. I’m surprised you don’t know this.
yes, even xbox sx needed some time to actually push a native 4k UI. every stuff eats into memory budget. they probably needed to optimize stuff further to reduce unnecessary consumption, so they pushed native 1080p up front, and later brought 4k UI

windows environment however... it always work in the lines of: throw more resource into it... so im not surprised that compositor easily eats away a healthy chunk of memory. i dont think they'd care and optimize it, since the market will be saturated with low end 12 gb and mid-high end 16 gb cards by the end of 2022-2023 probably

Associate
windows environment however... it always work in the lines of: throw more resource into it... so im not surprised that compositor easily eats away a healthy chunk of memory. i dont think they'd care and optimize it, since the market will be saturated with low end 12 gb and mid-high end 16 gb cards by the end of 2022-2023 probably

It's a pity that things are going this way; so many unfinished games being released and hoping to work on brute-force alone.

Permabanned
It's a pity that things are going this way; so many unfinished games being released and hoping to work on brute-force alone.
i agree wholeheartedly, i really think that there have to be some middleground compromise

i mean, why does the engine decides to turn everything to ps2 era of textures? is it that dumb? why not a middleground solution where the game can scale "linearly" to the proporitonal lack of vram

i dont , support this behaviour of these game engines. they could've been more smarter. i think doom eternal is a good example. it streams stuff. its good. its also a good example of how a multithread engine should be

at this point its ridiculuous that there's so many strong, enhanced, powerful, scalable engines, and then comes the age old dunia engine and somehow mysteriously enforces a 12+ gb vram requirement or we turn your textures to ps2 levels, so this is next gen? wow a nextgen game only uses 2-4 cores and bottlenecked by single thread performance with the best possible CPU the money currently can buy. how convenient and contrastive this stuff is beyond me

Caporegime
i agree wholeheartedly, i really think that there have to be some middleground compromise

i mean, why does the engine decides to turn everything to ps2 era of textures? is it that dumb? why not a middleground solution where the game can scale "linearly" to the proporitonal lack of vram

i dont , support this behaviour of these game engines. they could've been more smarter. i think doom eternal is a good example. it streams stuff. its good. its also a good example of how a multithread engine should be

at this point its ridiculuous that there's so many strong, enhanced, powerful, scalable engines, and then comes the age old dunia engine and somehow mysteriously enforces a 12+ gb vram requirement or we turn your textures to ps2 levels, so this is next gen? wow a nextgen game only uses 2-4 cores and bottlenecked by single thread performance with the best possible CPU the money currently can buy. how convenient and contrastive this stuff is beyond me
I had a look through the Ubisoft forum and most people are trying to use the HDTexture pack and RT when they don’t have sufficient video memory and then cry about low quality textures and bad performance. People with 4-8-10GB cards. Funnily enough, most people disable either one or both and the issue is gone.

Also, this game does not enforce anything. The texture pack is an optional download to further improve quality. It is not mandatory, required or included with the base game.

Unfortunately, some people are just extremely daft.

Back
Top Bottom