• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
We should have a benchmark thread for this, for fun.

It’s a poor game for benchmarking as only those who have the fastest CPUs on the market like the 5950X and 5900X can deliver performance to maximise GPU usage. I get no material increase in frame rate going down from 4K to 1440P on a 3080 Ti on a 5.0ghz 9900k. It’s that bad.

Caporegime
I can't I have had any issues at all with cpu utilisation or performance because of the CPU. Game is lovely and smooth but obviously I'm having texture issues.

Caporegime
Very small patch as you would imagine with a "hotfix", nothing about stuttering or texture issues:

https://mp1st.com/news/far-cry-6-update-1-03-patch-notes-out-for-bug-fixes-this-october-26

File Sizes:

• PC: 1.1 GB
  • Xbox One: 512 MB
  • Xbox Series X/S: 2.4 GB
  • PlayStation 4: 772 MB
  • PlayStation 5: 536 MB
PC, Luna, and Stadia:

• Fixed an issue that could cause performance issues when the Ubisoft Connect overlay was enabled on PC
  • General bug fixes
Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S:

• General bug fixes
PlayStation 4:

• General bug fixes
PlayStation 5:

• Fixed an issue that caused English voice assets to be missing for some regions on PlayStation 5
  • General bug fixes

Associate
Far Cry 6 performance is affected by the new NVIDIA driver. A user on NVIDIA subreddit saw a 5 fps drop at 1080p on a 3060. I also saw a 10 FPS drop at 4k. It seems NVIDIA has turned off Resizable BAR for Far Cry 6 specifically for some reason. I turned it on manually using NVIDIA Inspector and regained the normal performance.

Screenshot-2021-10-26-221614.png

Caporegime
Far Cry 6 performance is affected by the new NVIDIA driver. A user on NVIDIA subreddit saw a 5 fps drop at 1080p on a 3060. I also saw a 10 FPS drop at 4k. It seems NVIDIA has turned off Resizable BAR for Far Cry 6 specifically for some reason. I turned it on manually using NVIDIA Inspector and regained the normal performance.

Screenshot-2021-10-26-221614.png
Disabling Re-Bar might reduce video memory usage, so could potentially help Nvidia GPUs that fall below the minimum requirements to use the 4K Texture Pack, ala 3080s etc. Can't see any other logical reason if it reduces performance.

Associate
Disabling Re-Bar might reduce video memory usage, so could potentially help Nvidia GPUs that fall below the minimum requirements to use the 4K Texture Pack, ala 3080s etc. Can't see any other logical reason if it reduces performance.

Unfortunately didn't seem like it worked. I am still seeing low-res assets and just a 100MB reduction in VRAM. The FPS drop is huge. Went from 63 FPS to 45 FPS for me. look at the RPG, its low-res in both stills

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Caporegime
Tried it out myself there (new patch and new drivers), still same issues, performance wise, no difference for me, at least I didn't notice any severe drop.

I'm definitely keeping FSR off after a good amount of testing as whilst it's not bad and does clear up the image in terms of not being as smudgy as no FSR/native, it badly over sharpens it (even with CAS off) and enhances the TAAs artefacts far too much for my liking.

Soldato
OP
Tried it out myself there (new patch and new drivers), still same issues, performance wise, no difference for me, at least I didn't notice any severe drop.

I'm definitely keeping FSR off after a good amount of testing as whilst it's not bad and does clear up the image in terms of not being as smudgy as no FSR/native, it badly over sharpens it (even with CAS off) and enhances the TAAs artefacts far too much for my liking.

Turn off FSR and change resolution to 8k, leave scale at 1.0

That cleans up 99% of the TAA issues and the image retains a sharp look without being over sharpened. Its basically how the game should be played. I still manage to get 30 to 40fps with these settings and everything else on Ultra, it's still playable with a controller and Gsync on

Permabanned

That cleans up 99% of the TAA issues and the image retains a sharp look without being over sharpened. Its basically how the game should be played. I still manage to get 30 to 40fps with these settings and everything else on Ultra, it's still playable with a controller and Gsync on
what the hell?? i use 4k on 1080p screen and people call me mad

4k render on 4k is blurry? everyone parrots that TAA is fine and sharp at 4k. what happened now?damn 8k?? and your rig manages to push 35 40 fps at 8k? thats crazy. I can understand 30-45 fps with a tps game like ac valhalla but how can u bare 35-40 fps on a fps game? do u use gamepad or mouse? any specific tricks to make it smooth?

would u also prefer 8k render in other games or is far cry 6 extra spicy blurry with its taa? it is the first time i've ever seen someone suggesting to go to 8k for a 4k screen on internet forums. it seems like taa implementations in games gets worse and worse, where does this end!

i have a wild theory that TAA practically destroys nearly half the resolution worth of image quality. by that logic 1080p looks like 720p, 1440p looks like 1080p or something and 4k looks like 1527p or something. so i can "sympathise" with you using supersampling. glad to see a brother getting their actual native resolution clarity back!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Disabling Re-Bar might reduce video memory usage, so could potentially help Nvidia GPUs that fall below the minimum requirements to use the 4K Texture Pack, ala 3080s etc. Can't
Unfortunately didn't seem like it worked. I am still seeing low-res assets and just a 100MB reduction in VRAM. The FPS drop is huge. Went from 63 FPS to 45 FPS for me. look at the RPG, its low-res in both stills

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

see any other logical reason if it reduces performance.

hey, didn't you notice? your fps dropped because more GPU data spilled into your ram. 63 fps has 835 mb of ram spill, 45 fps has 1.8 gb of spill. it is possible that it is just random. have you re-iterated your tests?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Don't forget the developer, got to blame them as well and boycott all of their future games because I have to turn an optional setting down. :cry:

Yeah this boycott bs lol. Got a sore finger? I know may as well chop my arm off.

Funny isn't it, mentioned ReBar in the 3080 not enough vram thread. Shot down or not listened. Get pointed to how ReBar works. :rolleyes:

Soldato

If he tries that his game will crash (at best) or the system will hang, as he doesn't have a 24 GB vram card.

Source: tried that before and 16 GB wasn't enough either. :p

Caporegime
Funny isn't it, mentioned ReBar in the 3080 not enough vram thread. Shot down or not listened. Get pointed to how ReBar works. :rolleyes:
That's the usual mantra isn't it, some people honestly have no clue so I've long since given up trying to reason with them on anything.

I'd also have no issue at all using FSR in this game at Ultra Quality with the 4K Texture pack to play at 4K with the 6700 XT.

At Ultra Quality the drop in image quality is so small that when just playing the game normally as you do completing missions, exploring etc, you forget that its even enabled but you do notice the +25FPS improvement.

Also to add, once i enable FSR I don't pixel peep looking for drops in quality. I know they are there, the extra performance indicates that. But as long as nothing sticks out like a sore thumb, I'll just play the game and enjoy the extra FPS. If there was artifacts, motion blurring, trails or even massive flickering, I'd not use it but I don't see anything like that in this game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who is trolling now ? :cry:

Anyways only game I'm waiting from Ubisoft is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake.. if they can ever get it finished as they have delayed it twice now.

https://twitter.com/princeofpersia

Will come back and reply to some of the other comments later when I have time, because some were clearly aimed at me :rolleyes:..

Again no fanboy rubbish please as you all know that grinds my gears :D.. Also no real consumer/tech enthusiast that is paying for their gear is wanting to see dirty tricks by the company they buy from or their competitor as I said it harms the consumer this behaviour and the market they are in.. So only shareholders or employees of these companies should be cheerleaders for them as they have a personal intrest in these comapnies doing well, even when they are doing dirty tricks.

So... Matt wasn't your name AMDMatt before on these forums and you work for AMD or worked for them in past ? ;).. Lets all play nice and be tech enthusiasts or I will buy some of you mini skirts and some pom poms for halloween costumes (just make sure to leave your cheerleader costume size here. Bra size, beer belly size etc etc).:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Has disabling rebar fixed the issues people were having with stuttering or/and texture issues? Nope. So not sure how this still indicates an issue purely because of lack of vram (talking about people playing without the HD texture pack and ones playing at <1440p as well as not using "max" settings)?

I'm still not sure why it is still so hard to grasp what rebar sets out to achieve and solve? Again, it is really rather simple. Might be worth looking at just how many titles nvidia have rebar enabled ps. it's not very many and it's disabled for titles where lack of vram is not even an issue.... Could it not be some other reason nvidia disable it? Maybe AMD can make use of it better and know how to optimise for rebar better than nvidia given that when using a full amd platform, sam/rebar sees more of a benefit than a mixed system....

If he tries that his game will crash (at best) or the system will hang, as he doesn't have a 24 GB vram card.

Source: tried that before and 16 GB wasn't enough either. :p

I rather not play the game at all if I have to play at 30-40fps, free/g sync will not make that a nice experience no matter what people say.

It's fine, turning of FSR and using CAS gives me a much better image on the whole and the performance is still very good but I'm overly sensitive to the artefacts of TAA as it is so having FSR enhance them even further is just a no no. Switching to SMAA improves the motion tenfold and gets rid of all that weird haloing on edges but sadly then too many jaggies.

They should have just added dlss/dlaa, would have given a superior image on the whole.

PS.

Nvidia latest driver update has not affected my performance at all, still the same, vram is maybe a bit less but other than that, zero difference.

Personally I think shazs issue is the CPU, given nvidia **** driver overhead issues as well.

Back
Top Bottom