• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
Yeah as nice looking as the far cry 6 world is, very impressive how dense the jungles are and some of the area design is really good, however given the good performance as it is, it's surprising (well not really for reasons....) they didn't increase/add more RT effects or/and add more npcs (must be like 20 civilians at most living on that island... :o) to make the world feel somewhat alive and more immersive.

Soldato
This is why I wish Far Cry 6 had some form of RTGI or RTAO.
Inject it with reshade, it can do a lot of work, at least for AO. Actual RTGI even Cyberpunk doesn't do it, in fact none of the open world games with RT do. It's just Metro Exodus, Minecraft, and Quake RTX.

FSR would actually be useful
Already is to >90% of the PC base (and every console).

and the CPU bottleneck would be resolved.
No, it would get worse because now you're going to go harder with RT and guess what? That further increases CPU demands (BVH TLAS is built and updated by the CPU), because RT makes serious demands of the CPU as well. In fact if Ubi did what people asked for, re heavier RT, it would grind performance to a halt because absent a complete overhaul of the engine around RT the only increase that you can do to RT without incurring further demands on the CPU is to increase the resolution of the effect. Adding RT is no simple matter for even the biggest studios and the best talent. People simply expect too much too quickly.

Enr_t35W4AAo56Q

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Agreed - IF upscaling can be fully mastered, and I don't think it's miles off now, I would have no problem losing native. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Said console owners 10 years ago!

It’s not very PCMR, is it. However, as a console owner for the past 20+ years it doesn’t bother me as long as it looks good.

Associate
Not very PCMR at all! The whole point of graphics is to look good, so if greater and greater resolutions are the way to do that, the hardware will have to accelerate exponentially. There will be a tipping point soon, so surely efficiency is the way forward long term. I understand that native is intrinsically going to look better if the rig is powerful enough, but even with native 4k you have so many graphical options available it's not like it's an unaffected pure, crisp image a lot of the time.

Plus, if it came down to a card which could do 8k natively for £3,000, or one that upscales effectively from 4k for £1,000, I know what I'm doing.

Wishing I had £1,000.

Caporegime
FSR is pretty decent at 4k but you can see the over sharpening easily there, not to mention, that's probably best scenario/location to show FSR at its best. Anywhere with more foliage, railings etc., it falls apart, especially in motion and even more so at any resolution @ or < 1440P

Native 3440x1440 with CAS ON:

WVlP2iq.jpg

FSR UQ with CAS off:

FYQ1z59.jpg

FSR UQ with CAS on:

9bkPfJe.jpg

All in all, not entirely FSRs fault though as the TAA implementation is horrible so FSR is just enhancing those artefacts even further.

Still can't believe how dead this game world is too, this was the most people I've seen in the game, at a "party".....

P7Mtkc1.jpg

Given assassins creeds games have a good bit of life to any cities/towns, ubi should be ashamed of their attempt here, wonder if it might be an engine/performance thing as that's the lowest I have seen my FPS, might tie in with them not being able to utilise the CPU as well too....

Permabanned
Given assassins creeds games have a good bit of life to any cities/towns, ubi should be ashamed of their attempt here, wonder if it might be an engine/performance thing as that's the lowest I have seen my FPS, might tie in with them not being able to utilise the CPU as well too....

Did you turn off social distancing? ;)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
All in all, not entirely FSRs fault though as the TAA implementation is horrible so FSR is just enhancing those artefacts even further.

Still can't believe how dead this game world is too, this was the most people I've seen in the game, at a "party".....

I see the observation, but its an island or made up of a few islands. Is there a census we can look at for Yara? :p

Caporegime
I see the observation, but its an island or made up of a few islands. Is there a census we can look at for Yara? :p
Basically its not Cyberpunk. Despite the comparison videos highlighting the many limitations of Cyberpunk engine in comparison to Far Cry 6 engine. Not that the latter is perfect of course.

But hey, at least you can see a reflection of a light in a puddle as you walk/drive down the stret in Cyberpunk right. :cry:
Farcry 5 had more life to it.
Nope. Far Cry 5 was exactly the same in terms of NPCs as you move around the world. Unless you are referring to something else in which case please be specific?

Happy to put up a side by side since I play both games.

Last edited:
Associate
Basically its not Cyberpunk. Despite the comparison videos highlighting the many limitations of Cyberpunk engine in comparison to Far Cry 6 engine. Not that the latter is perfect of course.

But hey, at least you can see a reflection of a light in a puddle as you walk/drive down the stret in Cyberpunk right. :cry:

Nope. Far Cry 5 was exactly the same in terms of NPCs as you move around the world. Unless you are referring to something else in which case please be specific?

Must be me then but sure feels like it.

Caporegime

:D

Far cry games have always felt lifeless (I can forgive likes of new dawn because of the "post apocalyptic" setting) but given what other games can achieve (including ubis other franchises), this is laughable.... I have just been roaming various cities and the big town there and there literally is not a single NPC/person on the street (except for the army), oh wait, I seen one person on his balcony admiring the view :o There is no way people can defend this aspect....

There's no doubt overall FC 6 is a very nice looking game but it just compromises in far more areas than most other games now. Also, I have noticed **** poor LOD/draw distance in this too (which isn't too surprising as again ubi games are pretty poor here especially assassins creed games), not only are textures are affected (could be the issue with nvidia/low vrm cards, however, when watching 3090/6900xt footage, I can also see the same LOD/pop in happening) but shadows are popping in as well, I don't have much issue with this though as I rather have superbly detailed close up/density when it matters (that and every game has it to an extent) but just thought I would highlight as people were/are giving cyberpunk **** for its LOD, when reality is, this isn't much better.

Basically if you like far cry and a tropical setting, this does look and play great, some screenies from me showing how good or rather how visually pleasing it can look.

xE8DlEl.jpg

Gpwwcdn.jpg

nRhitk4.jpg

splscXk.jpg

yl872mJ.jpg

VcOdOcM.png

jBUtPYF.jpg

N2FUYyl.jpg

tjNxCf4.jpg

1Wa7b0d.jpg

Also, I have noticed that majority of the game is actually ok for textures, it seems to be the starting area that was/is most problematic for me on my 3080, most other areas seem to have no issues with textures, at least nothing I have noticed to the same extent.

I have had more game breaking bugs with fc than I did in my entire 2 play throughs of cp2077 though, mostly with things getting stuck i.e.

got stuck in this rock when exiting the boat 3 times in a row... (reloaded checkpoint each time, restart of game fixed it)

ubxwAK3.jpg

not being able to complete a mission because the last enemy npc was stuck in a rock far away

nnCE4cG.jpg

Then an ambush, the convoy had stopped for some reason away from the "ambush" area.... plus cars/trucks randomly just being stuck in roads.

Far from a smooth experience some would have you believe.

No crashes etc. though.

Spoken just like someone who has never played cyberpunk or rather can't enjoy it because of the poor ray tracing grunt of amd cards and lack of FSR required to enjoy cyberpunk at its fullest :cry: Thankfully most people/reviewers can see what ray tracing brings to games though, hence why every developer is adding it where possible :)

I have played every far cry game since the first as there is no doubt that FC 6 is a better looking game "overall" compared to previous (main thing being the density of jungles) but unless you have differences pointed out, you would be hard pressed to notice it, especially compared to new dawn, which looks better than FC 5.

Hands up on that, not played it. But the location of the game isnt in central London or New York or some built up city so I wouldn't expect tons of people? Maybe critics can expand on the need for concentrated NPC's.

Go and play likes of assassins creed games, especially unity and cyberpunk then come back to FC (any of them) and tell me that they don't feel lifeless in comparison.

Have you ever been to any islands in real life? If so, you would see there are more than just a handful of people on them.... especially at "parties".... Given the density/size of some of the towns in this game, I would expect to at least see some life about.

As noted earlier, they have obviously done this because of performance reasons, I imagine if they had the same amount of NPCs/density as cyberpunk, FPS would probably drop to 30/40s (unless they could improve the CPU utilisation...)

Last edited:
Soldato
Go and play likes of assassins creed games, especially unity and cyberpunk then come back to FC (any of them) and tell me that they don't feel lifeless in comparison.

Have you ever been to any islands in real life? If so, you would see there are more than just a handful of people on them.... especially at "parties".... Given the density/size of some of the towns in this game, I would expect to at least see some life about.

I have played Unity, so can comment on that. Whilst good effort put into the hubbub I would say not all NPC's were interactive from memory and like I said, its a city/town in France - not some remote cubanesque tropical island. Guess I need to visit more islands - maybe Cyberpunk island! :rolleyes:

Already acknowledged I have not got CP so will repeat that for you.

The thread or threads I have posted in are Far Cry threads.. why do you insist I have to buy CP to all your arguments.. its unnecessary. I will get it at some point but the topic is Farcry not CP!

Caporegime
I have played Unity, so can comment on that. Whilst good effort put into the hubbub I would say not all NPC's were interactive from memory and like I said, its a city/town in France - not some remote cubanesque tropical island. Guess I need to visit more islands - maybe Cyberpunk island! :rolleyes:

Already acknowledged I have not got CP so will repeat that for you.

The thread or threads I have posted in are Far Cry threads.. why do you insist I have to buy CP to all your arguments.. its unnecessary. I will get it at some point but the topic is Farcry not CP!

NPCs don't have to be interactive to make a game feel like it has a bit more life to it... Cyberpunk and unity are proof of this, at least in my eyes (and given the amount of NPCs in a scene in CP, would you really want to be able to interact with every single one and have a full blown on pointless 30 minute conversation that people love? i.e. like the borefest that was withcer 3). You get people who expect every NPC to have some form of sentient like thought process/life style but reality is, no game out there has that great of a NPC interaction imo, even GTA 5 that people love to compare to.... RDR 2 is probably the best modern game for it but only in select town areas like st dennis.

Do you really think having a big town like this should have virtually no one roaming the streets? Same goes for the smaller villages/towns.

The only area(s) where there is any form of life/NPCs is in your bases and even then, most of the NPCs/people there are just for your resources/equipment.

Heck even batman arkham knight had more life to it with all the escaped prisoners/thugs and that city was evacuated (a game, which people like to keep saying feels dead/lifeless too)

Did I say you had to buy CP? Also, it's a forum, you should know by now, especially in the gpu section that comparisons will be made.... same way with cyberpunk threads, people compared it to likes of gta 5, rdr 2 etc. and ray tracing reflections to other games with good SSR reflections etc. etc.

Soldato
I dont think the lack of NPC's roaming around has impacted my experience. In fact until you pointed it out, I never even noticed! If your only comparison is to CP and yes you do keep referencing it like your on commission, I will highlight it like others have. I dont want this game to be "like CP" as I will just play CP if I want that scene, do you not grasp that?

Like earlier and repeating for you again, I also have not played a previous farcry title so happy with what I am experiencing without thinking 'ahh its not like my favourite farcy x'. This is perhaps my benefit, just like when folk tell me 'odyssey is better than valhalla' I would not know as Valhalla was my first revisit to that franchise since I got Unity for free ages ago! ;)

Caporegime
I dont think the lack of NPC's roaming around has impacted my experience. In fact until you pointed it out, I never even noticed! If your only comparison is to CP and yes you do keep referencing it like your on commission, I will highlight it like others have. I dont want this game to be "like CP" as I will just play CP if I want that scene, do you not grasp that?

Like earlier and repeating for you again, I also have not played a previous farcry title so happy with what I am experiencing without thinking 'ahh its not like my favourite farcy x'. This is perhaps my benefit, just like when folk tell me 'odyssey is better than valhalla' I would not know as Valhalla was my first revisit to that franchise since I got Unity for free ages ago! ;)

It hasn't exactly impacted my experience as like I said, I've played every far cry there is so I knew what to expect, same formula with a different skin (same for all ubis games tbf) but it would be nice if it had more things like more nps to at least improve the overall immersiveness, if that doesn't bother you, then fine but just because you didn't notice it/don't care doesn't mean others like myself can exactly "overlook" areas where FC 6 lacks, same way some people can't overlook cyberpunks issues/compromises.

It's also got nothing to do with just being "another cyberpunk" thing either.... but if people start saying xyz about said game compared to xyz game and it doesn't actually do well for said reason then expect to be corrected. NPCs/big crowds/density isn't just a "cyberpunk thing"..... There are plenty of games with "life" to them and more hand a handful of people/NPCs....

Also, pretty sure it was numerous other people who kept comparing to cyberpunk in the first place.... I think the only thing I initially compared to cyberpunk (to start with) was the ray tracing implementation. Again, if people post misinformed rubbish, expect to be corrected. In fact, pretty sure, if you look back, you will find a post by me saying it is a bit pointless comparing to cyberpunk because of the completely different setting and that if anything, it was better to compare to likes of crysis remastered....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom