• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
Thanks, but AMD promotional material is not exactly likely to be the least biased dataset. Has comparison between SAM/re-bar been tested independently? Not refuting that SAM will be better, but will look for independent (as far as possible) testing.

Associate
5800x/3070 Everything at full/1440p, I get average 65-75fps. the only problem with this game is any long distance objects looks **** like you were playing on a ultra low quality.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pc Games Hardware have done some more in-depth testing showing the impact of HD Textures + Ray Tracing on video memory.

4K + HD Textures + RT On
UbQMSQy.png

hLzeZy2.jpg

4K + HD Textures + RT Off
Y0ZTDdY.png

Enabling FSR and things change round interestingly.
W2ELr8O.png

3080 with the HD Texture pack, replacing HQ textures with low quality textures due to insufficient video memory capacity.
2m9yJXU.jpg

More here:

In other news, Vega 56 able to run HD Textures thanks to HBCC Memory Segment.

For our english-speaking fans: In this video we revisit Vega's High Bandwidth Cache Controller (HBCC) and give it a try with Far Cry 6. It just works, as Nvidia's Jensen would say - the 8+16 GiB Hybrid Memory Segment (HMS) enables the Vega 56 board to display all the HD Texture goodness without streaming blurriness. Well, it stutters - but with higher texture quality than on modern 8 GB cards like the Geforce RTX 3070 (Ti) that's okay. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
5800x/3070 Everything at full/1440p, I get average 65-75fps. the only problem with this game is any long distance objects looks **** like you were playing on a ultra low quality.

Might just be the way as quite a few games are like especially the assassins creed ones, textures in the distance i.e. mountains are god awful but when up close, they look good.

Caporegime
So has anyone done any comparisons of the HD texture on and off yet? Is it actually worthwhile when compared to ubis other games where HD texture pack makes little to no difference?

Caporegime
SO 3080 not having perf. issues but hiddenly downgrades textures to maintain performance consistency?
If you look at the links provided from PcGamesHardware, Computer Base, DSO etc, it can either be low quality textures compared to 12-16GB cards, bad frame times compared to 12-16GB cards, or single digit FPS.
Far Cry 6 needs more VRAM than the Nvidia RTX 3080 has to load HD textures | PCGamesN

Here's what the game developer had to say about the HD Texture pack.
NNb8PDl.png

Associate
IF this is the case, then it pretty much points to the way games are going:

AMD are most likely to help make games to maximise vRAM usage.
Nvidia are most likely to help make games to maximise raytracing.
Independent games are most likely to be y'know.... Good.

Permabanned
If you look at the links provided from PcGamesHardware, Computer Base, DSO etc, it can either be low quality textures compared to 12-16GB cards, bad frame times compared to 12-16GB cards, or single digit FPS.
Far Cry 6 needs more VRAM than the Nvidia RTX 3080 has to load HD textures | PCGamesN

Here's what the game developer had to say about the HD Texture pack.
NNb8PDl.png
okay then, honest to god question, how can ps5 /xbox sx handle the ultra textures then? or is it a lie? or it cant handle it either? will this be explained or observed?

correct me if im wrong but the general consensus was that total 16 gb vram on consoles did not mean that it can allocate all of them for vram and it also has to spare some memory for normal memory operations (lol i dont even know what i just said xd)

as far as i know, sx has 10 gb 560 gb/s partition and 6 gb 336 gb/s slower partition. im pretty sure devs wouldnt like vram operations to touch into slower part but you're free to guess.

so why is this happening on 3080 but not on console? if it hpapens i hope those reviewers can also flesh it out.

though console probably have lower settings and resolution.. and may lower vram usage itself...q and no ray tracing. so maybe that can explain. ok, ignore my questions carry on , then again, wish it didnt happen this way

Caporegime
IF this is the case, then it pretty much points to the way games are going:

AMD are most likely to help make games to maximise vRAM usage.
Nvidia are most likely to help make games to maximise raytracing.
Independent games are most likely to be y'know.... Good.

Pretty much.

So far amd struggles in more games with ray tracing than nvidia do with vram, fc 6 is the first game to "potentially" have an issue with lesser vram but this could and may very well be addressed if ubi are working on something, that the fact that not every person seems to be encountering the same issues and when taking a screenshot solves the huge fps drop.... you know something is very wrong....

Pretty much a case of pick your poison, personally I am a massive fan of ray tracing as when implemented properly and not held back, it is truly jaw dropping, that and pretty much every game will have ray tracing going forward from the looks of it plus nvidia sponsor more and better titles imo.

okay then, honest to god question, how can ps5 /xbox sx handle the ultra textures then? or is it a lie? or it cant handle it either? will this be explained or observed?

correct me if im wrong but the general consensus was that total 16 gb vram on consoles did not mean that it can allocate all of them for vram and it also has to spare some memory for normal memory operations (lol i dont even know what i just said xd)

as far as i know, sx has 10 gb 560 gb/s partition and 6 gb 336 gb/s slower partition. im pretty sure devs wouldnt like vram operations to touch into slower part but you're free to guess.

so why is this happening on 3080 but not on console? if it hpapens i hope those reviewers can also flesh it out.

though console probably have lower settings and resolution.. and may lower vram usage itself...q and no ray tracing. so maybe that can explain. ok, ignore my questions carry on , then again, wish it didnt happen this way

Best to watch digitial foundrys videos on this, they do very good in depth comparisons to show what consoles are sacrificing in terms of graphics as well as the resolution, a lot of them say native 4k, but they're actually running at resolutions around 1200-1800p (more so the ps5) to maintain that 60 fps, also, consoles have to drop ray tracing settings further or entirely i.e. consoles don't get the choice of ray tracing for FC 6.

SAM/re-size bar also shouldn't make any difference in terms of how much vram you have as IIRC the whole point of them features was to remove the 256MB temp/buffer between the cpu and gpu i.e. cpu and gpu no longer have a middle man to allocate/pass small chunks each time and instead now have full access to the gpu vram.

Caporegime

though console probably have lower settings and resolution.. and may lower vram usage itself...q and no ray tracing. so maybe that can explain. ok, ignore my questionso so your comparison does not make any sense to me.

The consoles are not running 4K native and will not be using Ultra preset, this will lower video memory usage requirements - despite being able to use the HD Textures without these issues.

A lot of optimisation goes into the console games as they are the money maker.

Associate
Haha that's Steve from HU so no wonder he had no problem with the 3080. Meanwhile on the Techoowerup review they notice the 3080 can't run everything at 4K.
"What's really interesting is VRAM usage. I measured well over 10 GB with the 4K, HD Texture pack, and ray tracing combo, which does stutter sometimes on the 10 GB GeForce RTX 3080, but runs perfectly fine with cards offering 12 GB VRAM or higher. I guess I was wrong when I said that the RTX 3080's 10 GB will suffice for the foreseeable future."
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/7.html

Back
Top Bottom