• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
#Guerrilla

Pinga - Isn't this the same for nvidia side too? i.e. the people that said the 3090 is 'only' 5% faster. Then in reality the % faster could be way more like your 6800>6900 comparison proves. :)
Yep probably, 3090 should be better silicon too.

The difference can be huge in certain scenarios. I had borrowed a 3080 just to check out Cyberpunk 2077 and in some scenes I am seeing more than a 10 FPS uplift at 4K on a 3080 Ti which can make a difference between a game being playable.
That’s what I found with the 6900 XT to be fair, 20% difference is quite a bit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That’s what I found with the 6900 XT to be fair, 20% difference is quite a bit.

Its actually a decent observation to be fair, as when people were buying last year we didn't know how they performed in games, now some are out and in hands of gamers we can see. I always chuckled when the justification posts used that slant, but as you say that 10-20% can make a setup playable or not.

Caporegime
10-20% benefits depends entirely on the region of fps, if we're talking about games where the normal fps region is between 35-60 then 10-20% is a massive amount between playable and not playable especially if using a freesync monitor where FS doesn't work unless above a certain fps i.e. on my ips monitor, 48 fps. If talking about a game where the normal fps range is 80+ then meh imo.

Of course, also depends on how much one is willing to pay for said extra 10-20% ;)

Soldato
Soon to be rocking a 20% slower GPU here, so those days will be long gone. I’ll just be another regular grunt like you guys, but I will still at least have more video memory. :cry::p

I take it you will be comfortable with the changes i.e. you have made money from the switch? Like myself the waste of money overspend has evaporated from the months of mining generosity of the crypto market and trades. I feel so bad that I bought this 20% due to market conditions (3080FE/6800XT unobtanium). ;)

Caporegime
I take it you will be comfortable with the changes i.e. you have made money from the switch? Like myself the waste of money overspend has evaporated from the months of mining generosity of the crypto market and trades. I feel so bad that I bought this 20% due to market conditions (3080FE/6800XT unobtanium). ;)
Glad you’ve made money.

I’ve lost money, I always do with my purchases usually. :cry:

I never mine and have zero interest in doing so but have no objections to people doing it to make money.

About to settle into a career of FM2021, and a 6800 XT is already overkill for that game, so moving the 6900 XT on to another OcuK member who I know will put it to good use.

Soldato
Glad you’ve made money.
I never mine and have zero interest in doing so but have no objections to people doing it to make money.

About to settle into a career of FM2021, and a 6800 XT is already overkill for that game, so moving the 6900 XT on to another OcuK member who I know will put it to good use.

Hoping it was @TNA but likely not! ;) The mining is for the posters that try to gaslight but cannot fathom that it bears no difference and has not for months about this paying too much nonsense that gets parrot posted. :cry:

Associate
Well, I just installed my 12700K and my 3080 Ti is finally unleashed! Gains are massive across the board vs. my 9900K. GPU is pegged at 100% usage even with FSR Quality mode and the best part? The stuttering in FSR Ultra Quality is completely gone and I can finally use the HD Texture pack! because VRAM usage never crossed 9GB. 1% lows in the benchmark shot up from 49fps to 65FPS.

Cyberpunk is also seeing massive gains. The City Center district used to drop FPS to 49-50 on my 9900K even at 4k with dlss performance. Now its 65 FPS. The FPS drops in the market areas are completely gone but I must say this game is giving my 12700K a workout while doing this. I am seeing 80% CPU usage in many areas which is impressive.

Watch Dogs Legion driving stutter is also completely gone now and pegged at 65-70 FPS at max settings

People keep saying CPU does not matter at 4k but this is really untrue. Going from a 9900K to a 12700K was almost as big an upgrade from my 2080 to a 3080 TI in open world games.

Going to try out some overclocking now!

Soldato
Well, I just installed my 12700K and my 3080 Ti is finally unleashed! Gains are massive across the board vs. my 9900K. GPU is pegged at 100% usage even with FSR Quality mode and the best part? The stuttering in FSR Ultra Quality is completely gone and I can finally use the HD Texture pack! because VRAM usage never crossed 9GB. 1% lows in the benchmark shot up from 49fps to 65FPS.

So it wasnt the game? :)

Had a quick go on it last night, had a few days distractions, gonna have to try finish it off as hate not completing games (currently 76% through).

Associate
So it wasnt the game? :)

Had a quick go on it last night, had a few days distractions, gonna have to try finish it off as hate not completing games (currently 76% through).

it just demands a ton of single threaded performance. I think using FSR further increased the load on the cpu and the texture streaming using hd textures was just too much for my 9900K to handle. Even on my 12700K, all the other cores are idling apart from 1-2, and those seem to be used by around 60-70% but it seems Alder Lake provides this game with all the single threaded performance it needs with headroom to spare. On FSR Quality mode, I am seeing over 100 FPS in many areas where I used to get around 60-70 before.

I still think the engine is too old and ADL is brute forcing through it, but it should not need a 12700K to get high fps at 4K.

Caporegime

Cyberpunk is also seeing massive gains. The City Center district used to drop FPS to 49-50 on my 9900K even at 4k with dlss performance. Now its 65 FPS. The FPS drops in the market areas are completely gone but I must say this game is giving my 12700K a workout while doing this. I am seeing 80% CPU usage in many areas which is impressive.

Watch Dogs Legion driving stutter is also completely gone now and pegged at 65-70 FPS at max settings

People keep saying CPU does not matter at 4k but this is really untrue. Going from a 9900K to a 12700K was almost as big an upgrade from my 2080 to a 3080 TI in open world games.

Going to try out some overclocking now!

Exactly what I have been telling people for a while now who have 3070+ and older/weaker CPUs, you need a modern powerful CPU if you want ampere to really stretch its legs, even if the game isn't particularly heavy on the CPU, you'll still see a good uplift in the lows.

But FC 6 is terribly cpu optimised as backed up/pointed out by several tech. journalists now so not too much of a surprise considering the perf. of the single core on them new intel cpus.

Surprised it solved your texture issues though.

Associate
Yeah that seems to be the case I guess. Not sure how a 9900K compares to a ryzen 3600 but I didnt experience that and its not technically a high end CPU. Would also be good if nvidia took off some cpu demand through their drivers.

Do you have rBAR on? Like have you tested that on/off before the cpu swap and now?
ReBar was adding around 10 FPS in FC6 on my 9900K. On my 12700K, its adding only 2-3 FPS in the same area

I will really be considering an AMD GPU next gen if I manage to get one at MSRP. For the 3000 series, it was relative easier to land NVIDIA cards somewhat closer to MSRP compared to AMD. The NVIDIA driver overhead means I have to keep buying the latest Intel CPUs along with my GPU purchases to get the most out of the system.

I played a couple of games and even in the ones where FPS is more or less the same like AC Valhalla, its so much more consistent than before. In Valhalla for instance, summoning the raven had this split second stutter when it was transitioning to it which is now completely gone.

Exactly what I have been telling people for a while now who have 3070+ and older/weaker CPUs, you need a modern powerful CPU if you want ampere to really stretch its legs, even if the game isn't particularly heavy on the CPU, you'll still see a good uplift in the lows.

But FC 6 is terribly cpu optimised as backed up/pointed out by several tech. journalists now so not too much of a surprise considering the perf. of the single core on them new intel cpus.

Surprised it solved your texture issues though.

I wasn't really aware how large this difference was as I was under the impression it didn't matter much at 4k. Turns out it does, but the effects are more pronounced in open world games where I use FSR/DLSS with RT. Cyberpunk FPS consistency using Alder Lake is night and day better. I drove from one end of the City Centre district to the Badlands using DLSS performance and RT Ultra and the FPS was always between 57- 69. Even in the most populated areas with a lot of NPC spawns, the CPU managed to keep the FPS consistent.

I wasn't really facing an issue with the textures itself using FSR even with the 9900K. There were no blurry textures but the game kept stuttering when I switched between guns or when I exited an area and it flushed out the textures. Weirdly, its still doing that with the 12700K but the stuttering is no longer there. Of course I still can't use it at native 4k, as the textures become blurry.

Back
Top Bottom