• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FarCry Artifacts...

Associate
I'm having the exact same problem! i've got a 7950GX2, and i've tried re-installing, using stock clocks etc... can anyone confirm it is the ultra high setting?

cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
gonna reinstall farcry this weekend, then see if hdr works on this ati card, if not then something is borked with the cards drivers since this same install of farcry gave me hdr on my 6800nu, 7600gt and 7900gs.

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
gonna reinstall farcry this weekend, then see if hdr works on this ati card, if not then something is borked with the cards drivers since this same install of farcry gave me hdr on my 6800nu, 7600gt and 7900gs.

Its just ubi never gave the ati cards HDR support in this game. As far as I've found out it was only in the leaked beta 1.4 patch did the game allow for HDR or HDR+AA with the ati cards. All previous patches never supported hdr with ati gpus. The new official 1.4 patch was supposed to inclued the hdr support but was too buggy so was pulled from the final release.

Associate
Well since I last posted on this thread Far Cry now won't run :(

It appears to work fine until the level finishes loading and then my machine just reboots.

The only thing I have changed since then is a slightly higher overclock (which I've tried backing off) and setup Gigabyte "I-Cool" to slow the CPU fan and I've tried turning this off as well?

and I was looking forward to playing through this again :mad:

Associate
Mine is also crashing frequently, i'm not sure why we are both expeiencing the same problems?

What motherboard do you have? As far as I can see we both have different setups...

Soldato
Could not even play the Game ....Blue screens Problem Traced to something Had changed the Render mode from default. Well that was the 2 hours I was gonna try the HDR .

Anyone else able to run different render Modes ?

Still a great looking Game.. ;)

Soldato
Nutbusta said:
Well since I last posted on this thread Far Cry now won't run :(

It appears to work fine until the level finishes loading and then my machine just reboots.

The only thing I have changed since then is a slightly higher overclock (which I've tried backing off) and setup Gigabyte "I-Cool" to slow the CPU fan and I've tried turning this off as well?

and I was looking forward to playing through this again :mad:

Check out the Render Mode in GFX settings..Put it to default, Mine also mysteriously changed :(

turn of windows auto restart on crash (Start up recovery options in My computer Properties) will not fix the problem but may give a Luvly Blue screen code.. ;)

Associate
JAKUS said:
Check out the Render Mode in GFX settings..Put it to default, Mine also mysteriously changed :(

turn of windows auto restart on crash (Start up recovery options in My computer Properties) will not fix the problem but may give a Luvly Blue screen code.. ;)

I was being lazy so I just reinstalled it whilst watching TV. Thanks god I don't have kids. Terrible role model.

Thanks for the ideas though Jakus

Man of Honour
Latest nVidia drivers, 1.4 patch and ultra quality water settings, I don't get that problem with my 7950GX2.

Soldato
Well, Well, HDR is impesssive in Farcry, What an impressive engine that Cry engine is!
Think when I first played this I had a 9800pro and 2.4XP...always struggled with a nasty laggy mouse,I now have enough CPU and GFX power to really do it justice.. ;)

There seems to be a bit of an issue with HDR and FSAA to much AA can cause Blue screens (may just be my beta ATI drivers) also I have a couple of slight texture colour issues but nothing serious

What have people found as the best HDR setting ? I have tried 1-11 and do not see like a linear step up or down if You follow

I found some other settings for further enhancements, I will post when I've tested them

Soldato
Bizarre said:
I use \r_hdrrendering 7 and \r_fsaa 4 which gives me HDR+AA goodness. For those who can't get it to work are you sure your typing the commands correctly, as the above commands should work perfect with any x1 series card and farcry patched to 1.4 (beta or final).

To Correct You I have found You need to Type using upper and lower case as follows, If its correct the console will reply

\R_HDRrendering 7

the HDR in HDRrendering I have found needs to be upper case

Hope it helps

Soldato
no_1_dave said:
I use setting 7
Oh & AA with HDR isnt supported in farcry even on ATI. Its buggy...

OK,
I seem to be able to set FSAA in the console up to 4x ok but with HDR I had to set the Video options to no AA first

do You find much difference going higher or lower number ? PQ or does it just give you better frame rate ?

Man of Honour
If I have FSAA and HDR enabled while playing farcry (even if FSAA x4 is set in the control panel but disabled in farcry) I get a lot of complete video lockups - sound still plays fine but I am forced to hit the reset button - this always happens in the same places/while looking same direction - and doesn't happen if either of the 2 are disabled entirely... as I play at high res I usually disable FSAA and enabled HDR.

Associate
Hope you don't mind me adding a question to this thread. Has anyone on an ATI card got VSync working on this game ?
I upgraded from a 6600GT to X1800XT & although I can turn everything up stupidly high Vsync simply doesn't work when enabled.
I can't play games without Vsync. Any of them. At all. I'd rather have low detail.
Anyway, if anyone can help, cheers.

Soldato
Sorry, off topic, but is v1.32 the latest 64-bit patch? I just completed Far Cry today (put it down about a year ago after the Trigens scared me :p), and towards the end of the game I got funny coloured horizontal dashed lines across the cut scene videos... no problems during normal gameplay though. Just hope it isn't a sign of my GT beginning to b0rk :(

Soldato
JAKUS said:
OK,
do You find much difference going higher or lower number ? PQ or does it just give you better frame rate ?

I get the same frame rate. 11 Is the brightest most extreme HDR & 1 is at the other end. I chose 7 cos its half way between & looks good (its also what's in most guides).

Sumanji said:
Sorry, off topic, but is v1.32 the latest 64-bit patch?

Yes it is. Having 64bit add on is a lot more worth having then any patches afterwards too :)

Associate
I had exactly the same problem when I played it the first time and I was shocked by the looking of the sea... but second time I loaded the game (with the patch version 1.4 installed) everything just went back to normal. So may be you should get the patch I guess

BTW I have the same GFX card (7900GTO) with you.

Soldato
Quixote said:
Hope you don't mind me adding a question to this thread. Has anyone on an ATI card got VSync working on this game ?
I upgraded from a 6600GT to X1800XT & although I can turn everything up stupidly high Vsync simply doesn't work when enabled.
I can't play games without Vsync. Any of them. At all. I'd rather have low detail.
Anyway, if anyone can help, cheers.

I did have strange issues with Vsync button looking like it was half turned on and being non responsive, With patch 1.4 it seems to work. I am sure there would be a direct console command to force Vsync for you....Google

I have a very powerful GFX setup and run a TFT monitor ,I am not seeing tearing so I guess Its working

Back
Top Bottom