Farming Simulator 19 - Just Popped Up On Steam!

Soldato
probably 133 indie titles that are absolutely dire.

I can't find a games list rather than a publisher/developer list, but it beat fellow nominees F1 2018 and Anno 1800. Hardly small games or studios. SCS were there too (Euro/American Truck Sim).

This game is going to get some form or career mode now starting out as a noob farmer ?
There are three options for starting out.

From the game itself.
  1. New Farmer: You already own land and some equipment. In Ravenport, we'll teach you how to play Farming Simulator.
  2. Farm Manager: You start with substantial funds but no land, no buildings and no equipment. It's up to you to decide what you farm will look like.
  3. Start from scratch: Your starting capital is very limited and you don't own any land or equipment yet. The economy is tough, prices are low: gameplay elements are on the the most realistic setting.

Basically you can customise farms now. Whereas in previous games you could place some limited items such as another barn, now you can create whole farms whereever you want (within limits, so not in the middle of a town for example!).

This extends to multiplayer where there can be up to four (they're exploring extending this to up to 16) completely separate farms, each with their own cashflow and animal zones and operate independently of each other. You can work in teams, or be competitive, however you choose to play.

Also in multiplayer you can now contract work out in game to fellow players, so if you want to only run a dairy farm, but need straw for your cattle, you can have one of the other players sell you that straw without ever having to get into a combine. Alternatively you don't even need to have a farm, just own some equipment and work as a contractor for other players.

Missions can also be treated as contracting work in single-player too now, so no time limit and you can either lease equipment from the farmer or bring your own.

You don't buy fields anymore, you buy and extend your land, which can comprise a number of fields or a place you might want to build your farm.

Soldato
Just five days to launch now, and as well as GIANTS inviting a few players to stream the game from their German HQ all week they have also sent the game out to some other selected players. Those videos are allowed to be published from today and are all over Youtube.

I thought I'd summarise a few of the changes which come to mind:
  • The game uses a new material system, so plastics look plastic and react differently to light than metal or leather for example.
  • There's been a large graphics improvement. The most obvious change is the fully dynamic sky.
  • You don't buy fields any more, you buy land, which can include pockets of fields. In theory modders could set it up so entire farms could be bought, together with their land. You can't even cut a tree if you don't own the land.
  • Old style missions have been replaced with something more akin to contracting. There's no longer a time-limit and you can choose to use your own equipment for a higher reward. The hired helpers can also help with missions, but that will eat away much of your reward. There's also a much wider range of mission activities.
  • You can now build your own farms with placeable items. The ground now terraforms to placeable items.
  • Replacing the difficulty levels are now starting conditions, where each mode varies how the game begins - you can start with the FS17 style of already having a farm and some equipment, start with nothing but a hefty pot of cash or start with absolutely nothing and a large debt.
  • Multiplayer has been greatly improved. If you choose you can now farm as individuals or teams (up to 8 teams I think it is). You can transfer money between teams for doing work (more contracting) and even not own a farm and only do contracting for other players if you wish.
  • Vehicle wear has been added and is both physical (vehicles lose power and possibly use more fuel) and graphically (metal wears in certain areas). You can pay to have them repaired.
  • The in-game HUD, the menus and particularly the shop (now more structured and with live 3D previews) are all much more refined. Controls can be changed in-game now.
  • GIANTS own maps are now much more lush with foliage but still have the AI-friendly fields. Sadly no real changes to the AI.
  • There are two GIANTS maps included; Felsbrunn (a German/Austrian/Swiss map) and Ravenport (an American map). The South American map, Estancia Lapacho from the FS17 Platinum DLC, will be coming as a downloadable mod.
  • Weeds are now a physical item and affect crop yield. They need to be removed either early in growth or sprayed later in growth.
  • Lime has been added and needs to be applied every third harvest.
  • Ploughing is now only required after root crops (potatoes or sugarbeet for example) have been harvested.
  • Horses have now been added to the game, which you can ride around the map.
  • You can have a dog as a companion. Doesn't really have any role in the game though.
  • You can now choose which colour of animals you buy, so you can simulate different breeds.
  • Oats have been added and you can now do cotton harvesting.
The game doesn't really have any single major feature addition (perhaps the buildable farms) but there are hundreds of smaller improvements. I'm really looking forward to it.

Soldato
OP
So, this launches this evening! Anyone else looking forward to this as much as me and my boy? He's been waiting so patiently to be able to harvest cotton, so he'll be over the moon when he can do that tomorrow!

Soldato
So, this launches this evening! Anyone else looking forward to this as much as me and my boy? He's been waiting so patiently to be able to harvest cotton, so he'll be over the moon when he can do that tomorrow!
Pre-load live both from GIANTS and Steam. Game installed... just waiting on the activation servers to give it the green light. 11pm by the looks of it.

Soldato
Top selling game at the moment on Steam. Not bad at all.

topselling.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well, I had a bit of a go on this last night just to check it out. Only about 10 minutes, but it's awesome so far. I chose the ready-made farm option. One thing I did notice is that the trees in the distance look a bit odd even with the Very High graphics setting and all the draw distance and LOD settings up to 200%, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Oh, and this morning when I tried to get it going for my little boy before work, the game decided to completely die which was a total letdown. Turns out that because I'd switched him to my older Corsair Vengeance 2100s to use, that because the game doesn't support 7.1 surround sound, it fails to load any intros and then if you get bored of waiting and click through the intros that should be playing, you get no sound in the game at the main menu and beyond. The fix I found was to alter the settings on my Corsair headset so that they use 5.1 surround sound, but this seems like a bit of a fail to me. Because I switch out between my USB Corsair and my new HyperX Cloud Alpha's, it'll change back to 7.1 everytime it redetects so I've got to remember to sort this before he can play. Hopefully they patch this soon so that the game can deal with 7.1 surround sound because it's a pretty silly problem to have in today's world of tech.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to exploring the options in this though. Although RDR2 is still grabbing me at the moment so I don't think I'll be playing Farming Simulator for at least a few weeks yet.

Soldato
Bought from CDkeys for 24.99

OK first impressions they have defo updated the Giant engine. Much better, seamless graphics at 60 FPS and very low Card usage. However cpu is 80% at full settings but that is normal. I have set my Draw distance to 300% and there is no hit in performance so everything looks great across the map.

Menu's are pretty much the same so will give it a bit more of a go later.

However first impressions are much better than 17 so I might sink some hours into this version and having JD in game is a bonus.

Soldato
Bought from CDkeys for 24.99

OK first impressions they have defo updated the Giant engine. Much better, seamless graphics at 60 FPS and very low Card usage. However cpu is 80% at full settings but that is normal. I have set my Draw distance to 300% and there is no hit in performance so everything looks great across the map.

Menu's are pretty much the same so will give it a bit more of a go later.

However first impressions are much better than 17 so I might sink some hours into this version and having JD in game is a bonus.

I'm finding the exact opposite. My Vega 64 is running at 100% usage at all times while my CPU usage is as low as 10%!! I'm getting 3rd person frame rates dropping to 50 and in cab it drops as low 30fps. My monitor is 1440p but I expected a Vega 64 and a 5820k to to have no trouble keeping to 60fps in FS19.

Soldato
I'm finding the exact opposite. My Vega 64 is running at 100% usage at all times while my CPU usage is as low as 10%!! I'm getting 3rd person frame rates dropping to 50 and in cab it drops as low 30fps. My monitor is 1440p but I expected a Vega 64 and a 5820k to to have no trouble keeping to 60fps in FS19.

Yeah there is defo something wrong with the install then. Your rig should run it maxed out at 1440 no problems at all. Steam or Giants?

Being on the green side I don't know if driver reinstall would help. However it is an Nvidia title, However that should make 0 difference on a Vega 64 on this game.

Back
Top Bottom