FF's trying to get back on the wagon training

I'm sure I've said this before, but strong benching for a guy who doesn't like benching!

As usual, I'm a big fan of your assistance work :)

Thanks - I like to vary it and make it more challenging. The more I can keep away from machines and learn how to utilise my own bodyweight, and natural movements as I can, the stronger and better I will be than all the machine rats.

Deads are a lot closer (current aims) to your max than anything else (from a pure weight perspective). Out of interest, since it tends to be exponentially difficult with added weight are you expecting to get the targets all at the same time?

kd

Cylce 2 - Day 3 OHP

This is going to be tough looking at how the weight is going to ramp up!

OHP

Bar x20
30x8

45x5
52.5x5 - both felt easy
60x6 - really struggled, and form started to really fail :(

DS: 30x11

Cable side raises:

5*8
5*8
7.5*8
7.5*8

DB seated shoulder press:

14*8
20*8
24*8
26*8

DB Snatch:

50 - failed on left hand side :(

Feels ok - I just cannot gauge if I've had a good shoulder session. I hate shoulders (purely owing to my injury, and it vexes me that I cannot do better).

What injury did you have if you dont mind me being nosey? :) I agree with shoulders, especially on the all out sets, a real pain in the ass!

How was your form failing, did you drop your chest?

What injury did you have if you dont mind me being nosey? :) I agree with shoulders, especially on the all out sets, a real pain in the ass!

How was your form failing, did you drop your chest?

Form was twisting of the body - my left shoulder was just not moving - it was minor, but I knew I was doing it. :(

Dislocation playing rugby, and even since the operation to get it fixed, I never really did enough rehab work. I have limited movement, and pushing upwards not all tendons and muscles engage, meaning that I have to compensate with my traps - as such my left trap is bigger and more inflamed than the right one - because basically it's over active trying to compensate.

I'm doing a shed load of rehab work on it and it's loosening up, but it's probably a little too late for anything dramatic in terms of improvements unfortunately. :(

I just have to persevere and see what happens. It's another reason why I don't like bench, or incline bench - my shoulders just struggle, I cannot disengage the lat activation and get the shoulder activating properly. I've spend hundreds of pounds on physios - but I need a lot more, possibly minor surgery if not something more. Eitherway, I'm too old, and not bothered enough - though for my overall strength, I should be pressing 80kg with ease - which is why I'm annoyed and have ducked away from doing any shoulder work as it depresses me.

Still, I'm forcing myself to do it. Considering I can push press over 100kg - strict OHP is my nemesis.

I feel your pain with the injury, been there so many times mate.

I've just accepted I need to train lighter. Pre-fatigue, constant tension, rest/pause, there's other ways of making training fun... though it's more painful :D

Just be careful trying to progress too quickly, it's frustrating knowing what you used to lift but not as much as picking up another bloody injury!

^completely agreed.

I know it doesn't entirely fit your goals, but go lighter and stricter and bodybuilder the crap out of overhead work. Stay well away from failure/form breakdown, whichever comes first.

Injuries are absolute ****s.

The one good thing I will say, is that although there are only about half a dozen "proper" lifters in my gym (i.e. that train for functional strength, and not just mirror gaping neanderthals) is that having shared my training routines and tips with them, have recently started to lend me a lot of time/respect and help. It's nice to see that there are some people that feel I know my stuff and enjoy interacting with me. :)

I'm still learning, in fact pretty much learn something new every time I train.

To be fair, I think I'd enjoy doing some BB type training with Steedie, as the volume looks pretty brutal, and I love volume, but I like the more structured style of weight lifting for functional strength. I can still do my volume as assistance / subsidiary exercises. :)

Cylce 2 - Day 4 Squats

Squats - 5 rep day:

Overhead squat warmup

Bar x 20
Bar x 16

Squat warmup

60 x 12

97.5x5
112.5x5
127.5x10 - a bit disappointed I should have got 15+ out of this but I was pretty tired but still :(

DS Front squat:

60x12
60x8

SLDLs:

60x10
80x10
90x8
100x8

Walking lunges:

20x8
22x8
24x8
24x7

Goblet squat (with plate) and pulse:

15x8x4

Mmmm 15kg gob squats with pulse :cool:

:cool: At the end of a workout though... :(

Nice work FF. If you did managed 15 reps in week 1 of your cycle then your squat max you're using would been to light.

I know - it felt as though it should have been easier - I guess it's almost 130kg. This is cycle 2 and not cycle 1 and I'm doing this slowly - I guess I'm stuck on my old ways of "I used to squat 180 for reps with ease..." :( I'll snap out of it.

FF nice squatting, how do you find your overhead squats with your shoulder issues?

Actually ok thanks. Since I'm locked out it's fine, it's the vertical movement and the movement of the shoulder that causes issues. Similarly snatches are fine - it's the transitional movements that cause me the issues - if I'm in lockout it's not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom