FIA Formula E Championship

Soldato
Think that stupid idea has been around for a good while, I guess hoping that they would realise how ridiculous it has been for nothing :(

Any reason for why Drayson are pulling out? Thought they were one of the first to get on board and were looking to work on their own car next season?

Man of Honour
OP
It's been around from the start, we can only hope that due to managing batteries, it'll mean sod all and by the time teams are running much more energy dense batteries in a few years time, the rule is scrapped.

Man of Honour
OP
For any Londoners, a demo will be held on Westminster bridge at the end of June, no exact date/time yet, so keep a lookout if you want to see it.

ElectricAutosport.com has learned that the fully-electric FIA Formula E car will run at Westminster Bridge, near the Big Ben, in London in the end of June. It will be the first time that the Spark-Renault SRT_01E will give a full demonstration at a high profile city centre location in Europe. Earlier we saw demonstrations in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jarno Trulli to race in Formula E with own TrulliGP outfit.

It's official now.

Formula One race winner Jarno Trulli today announced he is to form and manage a new team for the FIA Formula E Championship – entitled TrulliGP Formula E Team – with which he will race in the unique all-electric series. The 39-year-old Italian has taken over the entry of Drayson Racing.

Soldato
It does mention that Drayson are still going to be involved with the team somewhat.

It is a shame though only one British team now!

Still have no idea who to root for... will have to wait till more of thr drivers are announced I think :p

Man of Honour
OP
It does mention that Drayson are still going to be involved with the team somewhat.

It is a shame though only one British team now!

Still have no idea who to root for... will have to wait till more of thr drivers are announced I think :p

It'll be driver first year, then have to see what the teams can do when they build their own or if FIA restrict it like normal. If we can have a Williams from the early 90s style team. That go sod it and go get batteries out of a lab which hold 5 times more power than current production batteries(they exist in the lab already), then I'll be supporting them.

My feat is that rather than letting teams develop energy storage, rapid charging etc. Fia will restrict it far to much.

Soldato
It'll be driver first year, then have to see what the teams can do when they build their own or if FIA restrict it like normal. If we can have a Williams from the early 90s style team. That go sod it and go get batteries out of a lab which hold 5 times more power than current production batteries(they exist in the lab already), then I'll be supporting them.

My feat is that rather than letting teams develop energy storage, rapid charging etc. Fia will restrict it far to much.

Yea you're likely right, if one or a few teams do start really pushing it and getting great results it won't take long for them to add restrictions :(

You never know though, it'd be refreshing to see some genuine innovation come into it when the teams get the chance to really push it but I'd imagine that most will end up being race teams rather than focus on the development and engineering side... Perhaps that could be why Drayson want to take a back seat, if they have found out they won't have the freedoms they wanted, they already had a car ready to use I think, but weren't allowed first year?

Man of Honour
OP
If they could build enough if these batteries, lots of designs to choose from, there would be no need to swap cars. the cells have already been tested in the lab and work.
And it could well be a reason, as things like car swap is mandated. And I expect to see f1 gype levels of restrictions on batteries and BHP. which is insane.
The speeds and time are low enough, to go back to the glory days of f1 style development. Before restriction became so dominant.

Should be using the series to develop as fast as possible. If we're still swapping cars in second season it'll be sad, if in third season it'll be a tragedy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surely they can't remove the mandated car swapping until every team can do the whole race on one charge? In which case maybe it's better everyone uses the same car for the first few years? You wouldn't want to see the sport deliberately held back because some teams own cars can't do a whole race, or worse the rules changed to make half the grid uncompetitive.

Back
Top Bottom