FIA Formula E Championship

Soldato
Should the cars not be virtually silent? Perhaps the only way you can tell an e-car is coming your way, is the tyre noise.

Are there any videos of e-cars, doing a lap?

Man of Honour
OP
Should the cars not be virtually silent? Perhaps the only way you can tell an e-car is coming your way, is the tyre noise.

Are there any videos of e-cars, doing a lap?

Not silent at all and yep, several videos in this thread somewhere and yep sounds like giant rc car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I just hope the rules aren't to strict and we see batteries lasting longer and longer each season and times each season tumbling. This is what electric racing needs.

A new highest performance lithium battery is now on sale about 10% more than the current highest and by the end of this year they say they'll have a new one which will be 20% better.

Teams should be free to change battery suppliers and even better would be go to labs and take prototype batteries to at least small scale production. And increase motor BHP. First you want them running a full race with one car, then allow them to increase BHP.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't like the look of the cars. They seem to lack downforce, at least it did in that video.

Also whats with the partially covered wheels? It helps aero but it looks gash, just like in Indycar except worse as these have it at the front too.

Still, I'm looking forward to the series.

Man of Honour
OP
Well they have a lot less downforce to make straight line faster as well as following distance. Combines with all electric, all the torque instantly.

And wheel covers massively increase efficiency.

Caporegime
What other FIA series do you do? Seems like you must be doing a good job if your getting extra work from the FIA.

How are the batteries charged? There's going to be some fairly hefty stuff that needs to be flown around the world.

Man of Honour
OP
Where can I buy them from?

Pass, as they only sale to OEMs atm.

Their called Amprius and are likely to be in some smartphones already, or will be very soon.

And Chandhok and Senna are now officially confirmed
http://post.jagran.com/karun-chandhok-bruno-senna-reunite-for-formula-e-championship-1401105074
SP Shukla, Chairman of Mahindra Racing, said: “Both Karun and Bruno come with very strong racing pedigrees and have successfully competed in a variety of racing series over the past few years. The entire team looks forward to working with both of them to optimise the performance of our racing car over the next few months of testing before the start of racing in September this year.”

Chandhok, 30, said: “I’m very excited to be a part of the Mahindra Racing line-up. The team are showing a lot of commitment to Formula E and it’s very encouraging to see the support of senior members of the group to this programme. To be a part of the only Indian team in this series is a real honour for me. It's also going to be a nice reunion for me with Bruno again. He's one of my closest friends from the racing world; we respect each other and work well together which will be good for the development of the team."

Senna, also 30, added: “There is a real ambition within the team to be leaders in Formula E from the start. It’s also an exciting prospect to be part of such a revolutionary championship from the beginning."

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Are the current wheels temporary? They look like standard road wheels/tyres and don't suit the car IMO.

F1 will go the same way soon hopefully, with the larger wheels. Its just because people are used to seeing F1 cars which only use the 13 inch wheels due to the regulations. Cost is a factor, but there are more types of racing with 14 inch+ wheels than there are 13 inch wheels. So a lot of that technology should be at least partially transferable.

Cool - Article : http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/27/should-f1-switch-to-18-inch-wheel-rims/

Back
Top Bottom