• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution 2.0

Soldato
OP
Will this have a driver version as well like the original? Or will it be for specific poor titles like the original? basically covered bog all games, only became great once it was at driver level

For the same reason, DLSS won't be driver level I expect FSR 2.0 won't be driver level. It requires too much from the game's engine to work at the driver level.

Poor titles? FSR 1.0 game level has been added into quite a lot of good games. FSR 1.o at the game level is better quality then the driver level but its still better than nothing :D

Caporegime
Looks good and a noticeable improvement over fsr 1 especially for resolutions lower than 4k where fsr 1 was pretty much unusable imo.

Be nice if it was released now though or at least shown in more than just 1 game...

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Only trouble with that is as the gpuopen page states if you use fsr with deathloop, if the internal resolution drops to 720p or below, then distance objects start disappearing (like the light bulbs/objects on the tables in the distance etc) So not only does it affect the resolution, it affects actual quality settings. It really isn't the best showcase for the technology, it could do with being shown in an engine that doesn't cull rendering distance as the resolution drops.

Soldato
Only trouble with that is as the gpuopen page states if you use fsr with deathloop, if the internal resolution drops to 720p or below, then distance objects start disappearing (like the light bulbs/objects on the tables in the distance etc) So not only does it affect the resolution, it affects actual quality settings. It really isn't the best showcase for the technology, it could do with being shown in an engine that doesn't cull rendering distance as the resolution drops.

Deathloop is an exception. I expect devs to use FSR 2.0 properly when developing newer games.
Anyone who actually needs to use FSR performance mode at 1080P in deathloop will probably not care too much if some distance objects are not rendered since they need all the performance they can get.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Deathloop is an exception. I expect devs to use FSR 2.0 properly when developing newer games.
Anyone who actually needs to use FSR performance mode at 1080P in deathloop will probably not care too much if some distance objects are not rendered since they need all the performance they can get.

I was just a bit surprised they used Deathloop as a showcase that was all. Especially when lowering the internal resolution has other effects on quality settings other than rendering resolution. For those that don't really look at FSR in too much depth might expect the same effects in other games. I just thought they'd use a better example.

Caporegime
Finally arriving at long last, disappointing list of games announced so far though.....

Soldato
OP
Finally arriving at long last, disappointing list of games announced so far though.....

At long last? You acting like you been waiting years.

It's only been a few months since it's announcement.

Permabanned
From the TPU review...FSR 2.0 looks same as DLSS. A win for AMD and old Nvidia gpu owners.

Looks promising, but also disappointing TPU used an old version of DLSS when they have all versions available to download https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/ and that the video didn't display strafing where we may have been able to see ghosting more easily. Certainly something I may use on my old 1070/1080p laptop where FSR 1 was awful looking.

Soldato
While forum warriors (on the web in general) will argue how this one pixel over here looks better with DLSS if you zoom 5000% in and don't play the game, the reality of it is that for 99.99% of people the visuals are pretty much indistinguishable during normal gameplay & with the open-source nature of the tech and that it doesn't required dedicated silicon to make use of it, it's definitely making DLSS seem superfluous now particularly as the most important part is console-compatibility. I don't think DLSS will really disappear, because it's already plugged into most major engines so it's just gonna carry over & afterall it still has an advantage, just a smaller one now. Though I'd say the already high availability of DLSS in existing titles is an even bigger advantage, particularly some would-be classics like RDR 2 etc, unless AMD really hustles to gain some ground on those fronts (which seems unlikely as they're almost entirely forward-focused when dropping new tech). Plus I'd not bet against Nvidia working on revitalising it (in whatever new way) for the next-launch so that it maintains its status as a "must-have" feature.

Amusingly I think this is actually worse for XeSS as the compatibility for that is more restrictive & they got beaten to the punch even though they've been showcasing it since way before FSR 2.0 got talked about, and from everything they're saying the actual cross-compatible version will come later (2023?) and so will when they open source it. Congrats to Intel for succeeding to fail yet again. :cry:

Caporegime
They said it couldn't be done, that you need additional hardware. Open source FTW. :)

AMD FSR 2.0 Quality & Performance Review - The DLSS Killer
AMD has achieved the unthinkable—the new FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR 2.0 looks amazing, just as good as DLSS 2.0, actually DLSS 2.3 (in Deathloop). Sometimes even slightly better, sometimes slightly worse, but overall this is a huge win for AMD. Take a look at our comparison images—there's a huge improvement when comparing FSR 1.0 to FSR 2.0. The comparison to "Native" or "Native+TAA" also always looks worse than FSR 2.0, which is somewhat expected. When comparing "DLSS Quality" against "FSR 2.0 Quality" it is possible to spot minor differences, but for every case that I found I'd say it's impossible to declare one output better than the other, it's pretty much just personal preference, or not even that.

Things look a bit different at the lower end of the spectrum, comparing "DLSS Performance" to "FSR 2.0 Performance". Here I would say that DLSS is slightly better, especially when it comes to textured surfaces. Thin geometry also looks a little bit more detailed with DLSS, but it's a very close outcome overall, especially considering that NVIDIA has had a lot of time to fine-tune DLSS, whereas FSR 2.0 is on its first iteration. If you actively hunt for rendering issues you can find them in both upscaling implementations, but I'm happy to report that ghosting, while slightly visible, isn't a serious issue issue in FSR 2.0. The only noteworthy case is when fine line geometry, like a fence, is sitting behind other fine geometry like vegetation. DLSS handles ghosting a little bit better overall, even though the visual artifacts in DLSS look a bit more distracting than in FSR 2.0.

We also have comparisons with NVIDIA's DLAA (deep-learning anti-aliasing), which renders at native resolution, and uses DLSS only for anti-aliasing. This is basically native quality + enhancements. FSR doesn't have any counterpart at this time, but I'm sure if demand is high enough, they'll add this capability. From a technical perspective, it's not that challenging to add on top of FSR 2.0. Not sure if the performance hit of native resolution rendering is worth the tiny improvement in image quality...maybe for those single-player games that run 200+ FPS anyway, where you want the absolute best in image quality.

With FSR 1.0, AMD pioneered the addition of a sharpening filter to the upscaling pipeline. While this has been possible with NVIDIA sharpening through their Control Panel, too, it wasn't as nicely integrated. NVIDIA has since added a sharpening pass to DLSS 2.0, too, but that option is not available in Deathloop. While sharpening on FSR 1.0 was tied into the "Ultra Quality" preset exclusively, with FSR 2.0 it has been decoupled and is now a separate option, with fine-grained control over the amount of sharpening applied. I hope that there's a strong recommendation for all developers to expose these settings to the end-user, because a selectable range plus "off" is a must for any sharpening filter due to personal preferences. That's also why I separated the "FSR 2.0 Quality" and "FSR 2.0 Quality + Sharpening" comparison images—lots of people find sharpened images very distracting and rather prefer the slightly smoother look.

Another novelty is that FSR 2.0 supports dynamic resolution scaling, which works very well. You have plenty of options to play with, including setting a FPS target and a quality minimum, and the algorithms take care of the rest. The way the game switches between resolutions is so smooth I couldn't even spot it—I tried.

In terms of performance FSR 2.0 deserves praise, too. While it is a little bit more demanding than FSR 1.0, not surprising given the additional logic, it's still mighty fast and is pretty much identical to DLSS 2.0, even on NVIDIA hardware, which is able to offload many DLSS upscaling operations to the Tensor Cores. No doubt, on AMD hardware there will be additional optimizations, but we wouldn't be able to compare performance against DLSS then, because it's an NVIDIA exclusive technology. On the other hand, you're able to use FSR even on older NVIDIA hardware that don't support DLSS (Pascal or even Turing 16-series). I really have to applaud AMD for democratizing upscaling without additional hardware requirements, and all we need now is widespread game developer support.

Last edited:
Soldato
From the TPU review...FSR 2.0 looks same as DLSS. A win for AMD and old Nvidia gpu owners.

Be nice if they tested more games, and if you were going to just test a single game why this one with its flat dull and low detail cartoon textures. FSR 2 looks nearly identical to 1 in this game, other than the flickering

Soldato
OP
And so the defence starts

The big win here is all gamers sooner that sinks in to people the better for us all.

You never want to be locked into anything! FSR 2.0 now gives almost every pc gamer that quality and performance boost!

That's a lot of gamers just got an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom