• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Aye, it's gonna take some time. I doubt anyone is arguing against ray tracing as its the way forward, but having to use upscaling says it all in terms of was it introduced a few years too early or not.

Whats hilarious is the history of SSAA - 3dfx went the other way, they upsampled the image resolution, to reduce jaggies but improved quality, then downsampled to the output res (game set to 1080p - game would be rendered internally at 1440p, then displayed at 1080p). Nv have gone the other way......

I can see more people using it for single player, but for multi? Not a chance. That's all about the fps, not having 64 players gathered around a Bush arguing wether the ray traced shadow is more aesthetically pleasing than the rasterized shadow.
True. I think it is well documented that it causes latency, blurriness and other issues that render it useless for MP.

Well technically fakery describes all graphics. I posted a few screenshots in the CP2077 discussion taken at 1440p with RT Psycho, SSR off meaning reflections would all be raytraced and DLSS Quality. People asked if DLSS was on or off even though the source resolution for 1440p is 960p. My point being If you have to ask then it doesn't matter. I was getting 45-capped 60FPS on an old Ivy Bridge 3770k with DDR3, 30-55 I think without DLSS.

I think HUB just like the drama as it gains more views.

LTT had a video of the admin staff playing games with and without DXR - most couldnt actually tell if it was on.

Whats hilarious is the history of SSAA - 3dfx went the other way, they upsampled the image resolution, to reduce jaggies but improved quality, then downsampled to the output res (game set to 1080p - game would be rendered internally at 1440p, then displayed at 1080p). Nv have gone the other way......

I remember playing klingon academy with 4x ssaa, :cool:

LTT had a video of the admin staff playing games with and without DXR - most couldnt actually tell if it was on.

One of the disappointing things with CP2077 it only used DXR really to fix edge cases where traditional techniques fall down rather than leverage it for its advantages though you can see the difference in select areas if you know what to look for and there are a tiny number of spots where it really enhances it.

Did you look at the selection of games? They were all very simplified. Try it with CP2077, The Medium or even Metro Exodus Enhanced, although MEE does fail on reflections.

Here's an interesting post I found on Reddit.

It suggest that 90% of owners with RTX capable hardware don't even use Ray Tracing or DLSS.

That shows you how unimportant Ray Tracing is to gamers right now.
lipQOua.png

If it was so unimportant then why are consoles adding it to their games?

Also link to the source for that "90% of rtx owners never" as well, had a quick google but couldn't find anything.

True. I think it is well documented that it causes latency, blurriness and other issues that render it useless for MP.

It doesn't cause any issues with latency either, since you are getting higher fps, you are actually reducing latency.... unless there is something to back up that claim?

Did you look at the selection of games? They were all very simplified. Try it with CP2077, The Medium or even Metro Exodus Enhanced, although MEE does fail on reflections.

I have played CP2077 - wasn`t `blown away` tbh, really have to go looking for the DXR outside of the game onr ails experience. Havent played the medium and metro has been trying for DXR for years anyway

Also link to the source for that "90% of rtx owners never" as well, had a quick google but couldn't find anything.

It doesn't cause any issues with latency either, since you are getting higher fps, you are actually reducing latency.... unless there is something to back up that claim?
Probably because at some point people will care.

I linked to the thread where it was posted. These things are usually tracked using telemetry data, I’d love to know where it came from because it’s very interesting if true.

That’s what users were saying when it was added to Warzone so they disabled it.

Probably because the line between consoles and pcs has been blurred over the last lot of years, consoles are capable of more so they're also getting access to some of the features that would usually be pc exclusive for years on end. Some games will use it in varying levels of implementation, some won't.

It'll be interesting to see how much of an uptake it gets on consoles as that will feed into the pc experience as well over time.

Probably because at some point people will care.

I linked to the thread where it was posted. These things are usually tracked using telemetry data, I’d love to know where it came from because it’s very interesting if true.

That’s what users were saying when it was added to Warzone so they disabled it.

Exactly, it shows there is obviously a strong interest otherwise we wouldn't have as many games adding it as we have now including consoles.

Not disputing that it "might" be true, just simply want to see the source for that guys info. I had a look and couldn't see anything so chances are it's FUD, 90% figure seems a bit over the top.....

Perhaps people are referring to the motion ghosting issues? (which is very well known and even accepted by nvidia, although some games seem to have it less noticeable in my experience) And not specifically the latency, I certainly haven't noticed any increased latency on my oled or 144hz monitor.

I have played CP2077 - wasn`t `blown away` tbh, really have to go looking for the DXR outside of the game onr ails experience. Havent played the medium and metro has been trying for DXR for years anyway

I've always stuggled to be drawn in to 3D games due to the cardboard cutout look, with floating NPCs/Objects. I wasn't blown away by CP2077 as such, but I did at last feel I was looking at a 3D scene. At one point I forgot I had left it running instead thinking I had left the TV on. NPCs looked grounded, lights projected their shape rather than a point and the shadows were spot on.

Took screenshots of the video at 1440P for comparison.

bvsXEHU.png

6QdKeSN.png

4K FSR 6800XT Scene 2 WzQUvfz.png

4K FSR 6800XT Scene 2 Zoomed in

rKDytn1.png

The zoomed in shot looks good enough for me. Hardly any difference between 4K and FSR Ultra Quality. Very nice indeed.

The 1060 video they showed at the end on the announcement is pretty bad though so not sure what is going on there. Maybe poor quality capture making everything looks blurry compared to the initial 6800XT video.
The Nvidia 'fans' obviously used that to try and make FSR look bad but if you look at it without bias we can see the quality appears very acceptable and a worthy competitor to DLSS. If there is a slight blur, that is no different to what I've seen with DLSS at 1440P on my 3080FE.

Last edited:
I've always stuggled to be drawn in to 3D games due to the cardboard cutout look, with floating NPCs/Objects. I wasn't blown away by CP2077 as such, but I did at last feel I was looking at a 3D scene. At one point I forgot I had left it running instead thinking I had left the TV on. NPCs looked grounded, lights projected their shape rather than a point and the shadows were spot on.

Is that before or after the bug fixes for flying trees :P

Back
Top Bottom