• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Caporegime
Yup the fact that they haven't even decided on what method to use yet means that there is still quite a long wait ahead..... Developers can't do anything until they know what to use and what to work with.... Hope I'm wrong though.

And then comes the point that if it is q4 this year or next year, directML will probably be out by then, which is what will be the standard going forward, not AMDs FSR so it will have been a case of too little, too late as per usual.

DLSS is here, it's not perfect but it's kicking ass whether people like it or not and more and more games are coming out with it or/and developers are going back to add it in. AMD need something now, not in several months and most definitely not next year.

Also, it's rather concerning that this version of theirs is completely different to the way directlml/dlss works so are they going to also be behind for when directml does arrive or is that simply cause their current cards aren't capable of fully utilising it? In which case, that could be quite a big blow for current amd gpus.

Last edited:
Associate
No, if i am sure of one thing is that their super resolution will be directML compatible. And their hardware can utilize it otherwise you will not see such thing promoted by Microsoft, Microsoft knows pretty well what they have in their consoles.

Caporegime
No, if i am sure of one thing is that their super resolution will be directML compatible. And their hardware can utilize it otherwise you will not see such thing promoted by Microsoft, Microsoft knows pretty well what they have in their consoles.

Then why not have a version based on it? Just like DLSS.

Seems a bit odd to try and reinvent the wheel.... Unless their way happens to be better than DLSS/directML, which will be mighty surprising.

Associate
Then why not have a version based on it? Just like DLSS.

Seems a bit odd to try and reinvent the wheel.... Unless their way happens to be better than DLSS/directML, which will be mighty surprising.
We will see. If they don't make something DirectML compatible it means they don't take the upscaling seriously and the feature will not survive. And then they really need to fire the software developers. :D

Soldato
OP
According to Coreteks, a beta version of Super Resolution will be available in June.

And here is a kicker, its a software solution and AMD isn't locking it down - Fidelity Super Resolution runs Nvidia GPU too

Soldato
According to Coreteks, a beta version of Super Resolution will be available in June.

And here is a kicker, its a software solution and AMD isn't locking it down - Fidelity Super Resolution runs Nvidia GPU too

How's it a kicker? It's what AMD has been doing for years hell they even created a website dedicated to just thar called GPU Open...

If anything it's a good thing for everyone so long as it's good enough for the job.

And FYI DLSS is also software it's just tgat it gets acceleration from cores.
RDNA2 from what I seen on a road map of the GPU it will also offer increased performance to the point I expected this feature will be locked to RTX and RDNA 2 and onwards.

Caporegime
How's it a kicker? It's what AMD has been doing for years hell they even created a website dedicated to just thar called GPU Open...

If anything it's a good thing for everyone so long as it's good enough for the job.

Maybe that term doesnt mean what he thinks it does as this is a positive in anyone's book.:)

Soldato
If FSR can somehow work with scumvm so old games can be upscaled and look hd i would love something like that, not too fussed about new games as dont play any rt titles tbh. I know this isnt what its really aimed at but imagine all the old 640x games looking 1080p or better as theres no other way to really upscale em to look hd looking. Well there are filters like hq3 or other ones but they look weird and dont really improve the sharpness and detail reconstruction like this method would.

Permabanned
If FSR can somehow work with scumvm so old games can be upscaled and look hd i would love something like that, not too fussed about new games as dont play any rt titles tbh. I know this isnt what its really aimed at but imagine all the old 640x games looking 1080p or better as theres no other way to really upscale em to look hd looking. Well there are filters like hq3 or other ones but they look weird and dont really improve the sharpness and detail reconstruction like this method would.

Just incase you hadn't noticed, some of these old titles have already been remastered.

Caporegime
Dos games like toonstruck or other adv games pre 2000.
Not sure if the games you are talking about are compatible, but have you tried?
AMD Integer Scaling | AMD
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-034#

Associate
If it provides double fps as some claim then it would make the 6800 cards fairly pointless for many, the 6700xt would be all the performance they needed, so hopefully will provide a good gaming experience with a lower end card. It would justify AMD decision to put 12GB on the 6700xt and raise the cost as the card should have a long lifespan before it cannot run the latest games well

Caporegime
If we have to rely on amd to push it, don't expect it to be widespread at all :p

Shame as a lot of things they do are great i.e. their tressfx and fire/flame works etc. looked great in tomb raider and alien isolation but ultimately I think they didn't get used much after that as amd wanted to make something where developers could "choose" to use it if they wanted i.e. an over the fence approach so that amd could take a hands off approach, which never really goes well.....

If consoles are getting it as a "standard" then it should be more widespread, guess we'll find out soon enough though.....

Last edited:
Soldato
If we have to rely on amd to push it, don't expect it to be widespread at all :p

Shame as a lot of things they do are great i.e. their tressfx and fire/flame works etc. looked great in tomb raider and alien isolation but ultimately I think they didn't get used much after that as amd wanted to make something where developers could "choose" to use it if they wanted i.e. an over the fence approach so that amd could take a hands off approach, which never really goes well.....

If consoles are getting it as a "standard" then it should be more widespread, guess we'll find out soon enough though.....

While I can see your point, things have changed quite a lot since AMD and TressFX and TrueAudio

Just look at FidelityFX "Game List" https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-supported-games
and how many games now support this feature that was only released I believe last year.

It wasn't even add to consoles till last month so its not like you can say in this case the consoles helped get this supported more it looks like its just very simple to add into games.

For FSR time will tell but if the rest of the FidelityFX software is a sign then it might be added into a lot of games this year alone.

Caporegime
While I can see your point, things have changed quite a lot since AMD and TressFX and TrueAudio

Just look at FidelityFX "Game List" https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-supported-games
and how many games now support this feature that was only released I believe last year.

It wasn't even add to consoles till last month so its not like you can say in this case the consoles helped get this supported more it looks like its just very simple to add into games.

For FSR time will tell but if the rest of the FidelityFX software is a sign then it might be added into a lot of games this year alone.

Fair, didn't realise that was in so many games!

Fingers crossed as things like dlss/FSR will give gpus so much more longevity especially if ray tracing keeps getting added going forward.

Back
Top Bottom