• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Caporegime
GTX 970
GTX 1070
RTX 2070 Super

I like Nvidia's GPU's, but as with CPU's AMD are clearly getting their #### together on the GPU side now too, they are actually getting pretty bloody good, but no mater how good AMD GPU's and the associated technologys are all that matters is what people actually think, Nvidia's job is to keep people thinking AMD are a bit crap and i'm sick and tired of looking at 8GB midrange GPU's for £600.

I want competition, Nvidia, they want to keep that ^^^^ going.

@CAT-THE-FIFTH Take a look at this.

Micro Center: NVIDIA Graphics Cards Function More Like Video Game Consoles, AMD Requires Regular Maintenace

75S7sqa.jpg

Its been retracted now:

Dear Valued Associates and Customers,

Incorrect information pertaining to AMD graphics cards was inadvertently published on our website.

This was published without properly vetting the information within, and we deeply apologize for the error. AMD graphics cards offer top-of-the-line performance, including ray tracing and AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (AMD FSR) for maximum visual performance, as well as easy installation, with no upkeep beyond standard driver updates. We are proud partners of AMD and will continue to offer their cards as a premium component for all custom PC builds.

Again, we are deeply regretful of this error and will strive to better monitor the content we put onto our product pages.

Rick Mershad
President & CEO of Micro center

I don’t see why Micro center would place such text on its website without any direct incentive. Quite frankly, looks like a marketing campaign from NVIDIA. Wouldn’t be the first time they pulled something like this, but there’s no way to confirm it. In the end, the CEO and President of MC apologized for the post, stating that it was published without properly vetting the information within. He conceded that AMD graphics cards offer top-of-the-line performance, including ray tracing and AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (AMD FSR) for maximum visual performance, as well as easy installation, with no upkeep beyond standard driver updates.

At the end of the day, this just exposes how retailers and commerce sites can skew the competition in one vendor’s favor just with a little financial backing.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/micro...ame-consoles-amd-requires-regular-maintenace/

Soldato
OP
Nvidia = that smooth toyota that keeps going
aMD = that Italian that breaks down every weekend

is that what microcentre was saying cause that's how it sounded

Soldato
Hearing some people suggesting FSR as a performance booster instead of DLSS in competitive games citing ghosting artifacts from DLSS.

Competitive gaming is image sensitive in the sense everything important needs to be clear but not necessarily pretty and there needs to be enough fps for the genre.

Associate
This is the stuff people have been quoting for years. How many controversies do nvidia need to go through before they get the same sort of bad press AMD get? I had nothing but trouble with my nvidia drivers on my gtx 970, I had to use drivers almost 1 year old for the 2nd half of my ownership of the card. Never had a bad driver issue with AMD before or after the gtx 970, certainly not one that caused a fire.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we all have it wrong. Micro centre are plainly trying to save lives here by suggesting Nvidia dont need drivers. The fire brigade in particular dont condone the installing of Nvidia drivers on Ampere series gpus due to the high numbers of inferno's. The ambulance service have reported on how they were confused with victims last words being dont trust the leather jacket, it doesn't just work. TheRealDeal reporting for Micro Babble.

Caporegime
I think ur mistaken on what the aim for FSR was, it was for gamers whos cards cant play games smoothly to now play them smoothly. If you can use ultra thats great but most old cards will be using one of the other presets which gets em out of the 30 or under fps for games. That was their aim and they have said it a number of times.

That is nice and all, but doesn't negate the fact that the single most important parameter to judge FSR on is the image quality, otherwise what is the point of it at all. As you say, gamers can lower image quality settings anyway, and they can also just render at a lower resolution and use the default up-scaling if they don;t care about image quality.

The whole point of technologies like FSR, TSR, TAA-U, DLSS and the checkerboard rendering in playstation is to improve performance while not sacrificing much image quality. If you don;t care about image quality then none of this matters in the slightest.

Then it is just laughable that all the people that were complaining at DLSS image quality using 200% magnified images showing some ghosting or soft text etc. now suddenly have the pinion you should never compare images and only look at the FPS as a measure of success. The performance of FSR was never ever in question, of course rendering fewer pixels is faster. You don;t need FSR for that!

Caporegime
That is a lie and yo probably know it by now. In fact it is written just there that it was bad info and that ME dev were talking about something else. This does not mean that ME will support FSR but the link you posted is not a proof for this.
No, the ME devs were very clear in their initial post, their redaction to appease AMD makes no sense what so ever: "AMD FidelityFX open source image quality toolkit which targets traditional rendering techniques that our new RT only render does not use" eggg, that is complete PR garbage as an attenpt at the backtrack, and it doesn;t at all negate their initial post.

And also some may not support it in the future because they have deals with Nvidia, like Godfall devs have with AMD. Do you expect them to tell you that they won't add FSR because they have received money from Nvidia for DLSS exclusivity? Of course they will find other explanations.

No, of course both AMD and Nvidia will impact what devs support. Hence AMD made sure no game that has DLSS had FSR added, blocking any direct comparisons.

And what do you think it will happen? The 6800xt owner that gets 20 FPS now and will get 40 or 60 with FSR will be angry? Or the 1060 owner who will see his FPS going through the roof will be angry on FSR? They will all run to buy Ampere because DLSS is worth every penny? :)
The strengths and weakensses of FSR will be fully known. Of course by that point AMD propaganda machine will have fully taken effect, it already has. For the AMD diehards, AMD have already won and Nvidia is complete failure with their "proprietary" DLSSS

AMD did the job optimising for the Sony console. Sony has a very big influence on Epic but AMD were never Epic's favorites. Nvidia are their big favorites on PC and if they don't add FSR, this is the only reason.

More non-sense. EPic wont add an inferior technology to their own TSR. Epic spent significant engineering resources getting TSR working well enough that a 1080p rendering can be upscaled to 4K with near-native IQ. This nonsense conspiracy theories are completely lame.

Caporegime
He is calling out the lie D.P is repeatedly making without proof that FSR is being rejected by console developers. It is not relevant that FSR may never make it into UE5 because there are other game engines both on console and on PC. So there is a fundamental difference between saying FSR may never make it into UE5 and concluding that console makers are rejecting FSR.

If a person makes a false assertion and is corrected multiple times, then you must conclude they are either thick, delusional, or lying. You decide which it is.

I don;t know where to even start with this....

I have made a point that I don;t think FSR will get a widespread uptake by console games because most console games already have their own upscaling techniques. Moreover, the Playstation even has specific hardware to accelerate checkerboard rendering which is widely used in PS game (PS4 and 5). TAA is widely used in console games and the transition to TAA- based up-scaling is relatively trivial. Game developers are now making that transition, with many tripple-A games coming out with temporal accumulation and scaling.

That is why I doubt many big games will add FSR. Not that FSR won't exist at all on consoles, but there is a lot of competitive technologies out there already widely used. So FSR adoption requires actively rejecting other technologies with proven high quality results.

And since you seem to want to personally attack me, I will offer up that I was pleasantly surprised that MS will already add i to their dev kit and that I was not expecting that to happen.

Soldato
OP
That is nice and all, but doesn't negate the fact that the single most important parameter to judge FSR on is the image quality, otherwise what is the point of it at all. As you say, gamers can lower image quality settings anyway, and they can also just render at a lower resolution and use the default up-scaling if they don;t care about image quality.

The whole point of technologies like FSR, TSR, TAA-U, DLSS and the checkerboard rendering in playstation is to improve performance while not sacrificing much image quality. If you don;t care about image quality then none of this matters in the slightest.

Then it is just laughable that all the people that were complaining at DLSS image quality using 200% magnified images showing some ghosting or soft text etc. now suddenly have the pinion you should never compare images and only look at the FPS as a measure of success. The performance of FSR was never ever in question, of course rendering fewer pixels is faster. You don;t need FSR for that!

Is basically what you're saying is that the prevailing opinion on the forum is that: Green graphics card Bad, Red graphics card good.

Green graphics card: Let zoom into 800%, omg look at those pixels!

Red graphics card: omg look at how many frames!

Caporegime
Is basically what you're saying is that the prevailing opinion on the forum is that: Green graphics card Bad, Red graphics card good.

Green graphics card: Let zoom into 800%, omg look at those pixels!

Red graphics card: omg look at how many frames!
The thing is though, you don’t have to zoom in to see ghosting and trails, they were clearly visible even in the pictures that Nexus posted that were high resolution.

Caporegime
The thing is though, you don’t have to zoom in to see ghosting and trails, they were clearly visible even in the pictures that Nexus posted that were high resolution.

and you don't need to zoom in on FSR images/videos to see the lack of texture quality or shimmering pixels.

In fact, AMDs very own image comparison in gpuopen shows the problems quite clearly.

Back
Top Bottom