FIFA World Cup 2018 - GROUP G [Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England - 18/23/24/28 June] **spoilers**

Caporegime
Shelvey might want to lay off being a massive racist and maybe he'd get that spot.

I don't really follow his politics but Newcastle manage him alright with a largely diverse squad so if Southgate wants to put virtue signalling over winning the world cup it's his own fault I guess. Our midfield was non existant tonight.

Soldato
I don't doubt Gareth's ability as a manager, but I've always wondered, how would he go about telling his players off for making mistakes (if he does that) with any sort of authority when they all know he missed his all important penalty?

That's exactly why he's an authority on the subject matter of mistakes - he missed that crucial penalty and he knows the burden of guilt that comes along with it.

Soldato
Hilarious people thinking Colombia will be easy.
They are a solid team and have shown more skill than England particular up field and we all know how bad our defense can be.
They were shockingly bad today against Senegal. Aside from a single half of a game against a terrible Poland.. They're not good atm.

Soldato
I don't really follow his politics but Newcastle manage him alright with a largely diverse squad so if Southgate wants to put virtue signalling over winning the world cup it's his own fault I guess. Our midfield was non existant tonight.

He was banned for being a massive racist and his club manager is a different class to Southgate so i get why he was left out tbh

Sui

Sui

Soldato
If the Colombia which played against Poland turn up then it’ll be a nervous match.

If it’s the team that scraped a win today, should be okay.

Caporegime
Southgate seemed a bit rattled by that. Trying to give positives but I sense he knows he is bull****ing and is quietly pretty annoyed with that performance.

He chose the team. It lacked any creativity and he did nothing to correct that at half time.

I have no idea why he left Shelvey at home, and I don't think much of Shelvey, but he's got a decent pass on him.

Soldato
Might help England that Colombia's James Rodriguez went off injured in their final game, no idea what he has been up to in the last four years, but he scored some corkers in the last World Cup.

Man of Honour
He chose the team. It lacked any creativity and he did nothing to correct that at half time.

It should have given him (Southgate) plenty to think about. Our only real weakness, with the proper team, I think is when the back is under pressure there just isn't enough authority there - there are enough players with quality to hold the rest up otherwise especially in Trippier and Kane.

Caporegime
Not confident at all against the Colombians, without James we might scrape through but he’ll cut open our tragic defence if he plays.
Seriously missed a trick not topping that group and facing Japan, all they’ve got going for them is being excellent athletes, shocking at defending set pieces so we could have aimed to go a few goals up and lay off the pace.
South American teams are difficult to beat and they have world class players, yeah they haven’t really showed up in the groups but neither have we considering how easy our group was in comparison. Championship sides could batter Tunisia and Panama.

Yes, we’d have came up against the “tougher” sides in the tournament but carrying momentum through and having the easier first knockout game would have put us in better stead imo.

Soldato
They were shockingly bad today against Senegal. Aside from a single half of a game against a terrible Poland.. They're not good atm.

I think you are totally underestimating Senegal there. They are a very good side, strong and difficult to break down. Colombia will be going into the game against England having won two tough matches. Whereas England lost against their first decent opposition. Both teams rested first team players, but, England showed they really have no depth in the squad at all apart from up front.

Associate
Just caught up on the game and januzaj's goal was a joy to see. Hope England don't lose momentum, in fact it could fire them up. Better lose now than in the next round!

Caporegime
It should have given him (Southgate) plenty to think about. Our only real weakness, with the proper team, I think is when the back is under pressure there just isn't enough authority there - there are enough players with quality to hold the rest up otherwise especially in Trippier and Kane.
We've still lacked any real creativity.

Kane's goals are nothing to do with good football etc.

Caporegime
My worry is we gave goals away to both Tunisia/Panama and Belgium could have had 3-4 goals against us tonight with their biggest players sitting on the bench. That and we've not scored a goal in open play against two poor defences (well there's Kane's deflected goal but that wasn't really a result of good play).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Maybe but they still won though and that’s the main thing;). They didn’t have a great game but still managed to beat Senegal in the end.

Meh not sure if England will beat Colombia, I’d give them a 50/50 chance to beat Colombia. All depends on James if he plays for Colombia.

Soldato
My worry is we gave goals away to both Tunisia/Panama and Belgium could have had 3-4 goals against us tonight with their biggest players sitting on the bench. That and we've not scored a goal in open play against two poor defences (well there's Kane's deflected goal but that wasn't really a result of good play).

Lingard's goal was from open play. But I share your concern for the lack of goalscoring chances created aside from set pieces. Also, not being able to keep a clean sheet throughout the group is a worry too.

Soldato
I can’t help but think we’re getting carried away with our ambitions. We’ve beaten two of the arguably crappest sides in the World Cup and now using ‘strategy’ to ease our way to the final - which is still a long way away. I’d be far more convinced and far happier if we went into each match guns blazing including the one last night. Hey ho.

Back
Top Bottom