Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
I suspect the cartoony look will go, and some of the charm with it. It's risky, but also pretty exciting. This is FF7 for a new generation of gamers and elements are bound to be different.

My favourite is FF6 and I wouldn't like a current remake of that, but FF7 should lend itself better to a revamp.

An FFVI remake in the style of FFIV DS on the 3DS would be great. Give it the same brutal difficulty as that and it would be amazing.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I'd want a straight remake.

Rose tinted glasses and all that.

FF7 on the PS1 was one of my favourite games at the time. I remember playing through it over the Christmas holiday after release. I'd be playing until well into the early hours of the morning. I'd complete a section, get to a save but then I'd just see what was a little way past the save and end up playing through until another save point. And when I finally completed the game I immediately started again from the beginning.

Then a couple of months ago I started playing it again on an original Playstation after a break of 18 years and it's just not as good as I remember. Gameplay has moved on a lot since 1997 and so a lot of how FF7 plays just doesn't cut the mustard today.

Associate
I vaguely remember reading an article from square saying they won't ever remake FF7 unless they feel like they can't ever make anything better.

Am I making this up?

I guess they never managed to make a better game than FF7 lol

I just want the battle system to stay the same. 3 characters vs the enemy. turn based, random battles, limit breaks, levelable materia etc.

but deep down i know it will be changed to cater for the newer/younger audiences used to the mechanics of the newer titles. bummer. (to be honest, the battle system went down the pan after 10/X, which was the last decent battle system)

I dont mind a different battle system as long as we can control each characters. Turn based is a bit awkward to look at these days.

Soldato
If they mess with the combat system I will personally fly over to Japan and set a bomb off at Square Enix HQ like it was a Mako reactor.

"The trailer seemed pretty serious in tone. Will the occasional humor the original game carry through?

TN: The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII".

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/f...rview-e3-2015/

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate to even think it... But you know for a fact everything you actually loved about the original will be thrown out with something resembling the original story all that's left, how are they going to tackle the world map for instance?..

Caporegime
If they do a direct remake but just update graphic it will look weird. A lot of the character action in game (not CGI) are done for the cartoon style look. The game is the best game of its time, pulling it put and put it out 20 years later with a new skin won't work.

It needs more than that.

Soldato
Yeah the world map is going to be an absolute ******! It was pretty big as it is, to then replicate or even design that to accompany full updated gfx is going to an absolute pain. Maybe they will keep it kind of how it is, just with a more advanced refresh.

Do you reckon they have actually started any progress on the game yet, or it is still all in the pipeline. I mean they kept it under pretty tight wraps to not have it leaked apart from the speculation a few days before.

One thing for certain though, going on how awesome Ramuh looks in Final Fantasy 15 when summoned, I can imagine the FF7 summons are going to be an absolute blast to watch.
Especially Knights of the round & hopefully the fat chocobo summon will still be there :D

Associate
Don't see why they can't just keep the same principal for the world map, with symbolic images of the towns, but they can just make the world map look like FFVI and with visible monsters like FFVI. The map doesn't have to be Skyrim huge either.

Soldato
Got to be honest I do not trust Square Enix at all with this.

I had always hoped for a remake and I was extremely over hyped when I saw the trailer. But after that feeling wore off I could not help but think.... "Square Enix". I will remain cautious about this until more details are revealed. But if they even dare make it linear like FF13.... I will refuse to buy it. FF7 was about the exploration to take that away would be horrid.

That feeling of thinking I had almost completed the game and think what the hell is on these 2 other discs only for the GIANT map to open up and be like :eek: To be able to explore what I wanted how I wanted was such an epic thing. To go and breed your own golden chocobo to find that Kings of the Round materia on your own with no guide or internet to tell you how to do it gave a massive sense of achievement.

That all said if they do a good job on it :D yay and I will buy whatever console (looking like a PS4) when it's released.

But until I see such a thing.....Square Enix.... if it was Squaresoft ;) all would be fine :)

Caporegime
Its mad, I feel the same - if I knew SE werent touching it Id be so happy still, now I know they are Im really worried. I know FF7 needs a bit of modernisation, I just dont trust SE to know when enough is enough.

Love to be wrong, want to be wrong - only real good news is that the person that made SE what it is has properly left (ex-CEO/President Yoichi Wada who was still on the board until recently) so thats a massive plus...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't get me wrong.. I'm willing them to do it well, I'm one of those FFVII is the greatest game ever made types.. I'm just worried and don't trust SE, Everything I loved about FF went wayward with FFX-2..

Soldato
Don't get me wrong.. I'm willing them to do it well, I'm one of those FFVII is the greatest game ever made types.. I'm just worried and don't trust SE, Everything I loved about FF went wayward with FFX-2..
Agreed. I'm excitedly nervous about the whole thing. We know it's going to be different from the original but it's how much they tinker with it that's the big worry. I can't see them making a world map, really can't, at least not in the way the original was and that will have a major impact on the flow and feel of the game. I'm more worried about that than how they change the combat system.

As a company I always felt that SquareEnix lost confidence in what they can do (probably since they changed from Squaresoft to SE.) Their actions since the later end of the PS2 days just seem beyond odd. It's possible that the financial trouble they had made them hesitant to make brand new games. Afterall it's easier to creative spin-off's of already written and established games than it is making a brand new world.

Just look at FFXV, that thing has been in production for the entire life-span of the PS3, it's seen the entire trilogy of Mass Effect come and go and it's still well over a year away from being released. This is their major flagship and we still really know little about it. It's these endless production times which makes me believe we won't see the FFVII Remake until 2017/18.

Their are rumours on the net that SE have outsourced production of the remake and I hope that's true. I was surprised that Sony revealed the news and not SE itself which was a little strange. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had something to do with SE suddenly relenting. Perhaps they've offered financial and development support for it.

Back
Top Bottom