Final year as a junior powerlifter - I still don't even lift

Associate
OP
27/01/17 - Friday - Light squats

Light squats we're heavier than usually but moved well and didn't have any concerns. On a side note my deadlift suit arrived today and I'm really looking forward to trying it on next week. Seems a little looser than I would have liked when I put it on but It'll be interesting to see what happens when I actually deadlift in it.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
75kg x 4
82.5kg x 4x12

Lots of volume today but everything moved really well. Looks like the %'s are where they should be right now.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
107.5kg(S) x 3x12

Everything was fried after these.

Would have liked to do some leg press but I ran out of time. Really happy with everything that I managed regardless. Some medium bench tomorrow.

Soldato
On a side note my deadlift suit arrived today and I'm really looking forward to trying it on next week. Seems a little looser than I would have liked when I put it on but It'll be interesting to see what happens when I actually deadlift in it.

I can think of a few dominos-based ways of making it fit better ;)

Associate
OP
28/01/17 - Saturday - Light Bench

Today was a very odd training day. I had very little time between being able to train and coaching so I only ended up doing my main sets of bench and then had a play around in my suit once I had finished coaching.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
67.5kg x 4x10

I got all the sets and reps but I'm not 100% satisfied. I would have liked to have been a bit tighter but there was never a point of wiggling around or 1 arm flailing around so I guess that's a start.

Equipped Sumo Block Pulls (low block)

60kg x 3
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
120kg x 3
140kg(B,S) x 1
160kg(B,S) x 1
180kg(B,S) x 1
200kg(B,S) x f - got it to my knees but that's it

180kg: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP0eKrHjoet/?taken-by=porridgeisyummy

200kg just wasn't there. I know I shouldn't have done the 20kg jump but I was letting a up coming coach judge my numbers. I let him take the reins but I have enough experience (despite my terrible numbers) to know if I'm in danger of injury or not. And to be fair I managed to get the bar to my knees but just did not have the strength for the lockout. Likewise, I'm currently in my hypertrophy phase, and that isn't changing, so I am not used to doing heavy singles. Once I hit my strength phases things will change and I'll get a much more accurate idea of where I am in terms of numbers. Today was just some fun, and it was exactly that.

Associate
OP
180 looked ridiculously light!!

You made 180kg look like a light warm-up set :D

This.

Nice lifting; shame about the fat suit/belt, but there we go. ;) :D

I was quite pleased with the way it moved, especially considering I haven't trained for a heavy single in goodness knows how long; so hopefully with time that number will keep raising. Missing the 200 though has absolutely knackered me today and my CNS is fried.

29/01/17 - Sunday - Medium Bench

Close Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
57.5kg x 4
62.5kg x 3-4 x 10 - lost count of sets like a numpty
62.5kg x 8

I'm not too disappointed in that but I was having difficulty in keeping everything consistent, there was always something just a little bit off.

Cable Row

50kg x 4x15

Pretty easy if I'm honest but there was a little bit of clicking in the left elbow just struggling to keep the shoulders pinned together.

Low to High Cable Chest Fly

15kg x 3x15

Face Pulls

25kg x 3x15

Finished up with some needed foam rolling and stretching.

Not a bad session but nothing amazing either

Associate
OP
30/01/17 - Monday - Medium Squats

Last squat session of this cycle and I foolishly forgot my knee sleeves. It is quite surprising how much they help. I had a play with some knee wraps to see what they were like but I have no idea if I got anything from them, or if they were too loose or too tight. Might play with them a few more times and see what happens.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 4x10

Every set like RPE 11 but pleased I managed the sets and reps.

High Bar Squats /w wraps

40kg x 6
60kg x 4
80kg x 4
100kg x 4

I had so long between the high bar squats and the sets with wraps because there were so many people in the gym, I warmed up, cooled down, warmed up, cooled down and to bucket honest, just couldn't be bothered . I probably could have done more at the 100 (I was looking for 10% overload with the same reps), but I just gave up. Ah well there's always next time.

Despite doing very little I'm still pleased with the main squats. Increasing the training max for the next cycle and entering the deload after my final bench session tomorrow.

Associate
OP
31/01/17 - Tuesday - Heavy Bench

I'm a tad disappointed but equally pleased with today's session. My absolute bench strength has declined but when doing reps inline with the %'s stated, I'm actually ahead. I know once I hit the strength phase my absolute numbers will go up for now I just have to increase as necessary but without actually testing rep maxes. Craziness.

Wide Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
87.5kg x 3
75kg x 4x8

Should have been 6reps on the top sets but I did't feel tight and I wasn't going to risk letting the shoulders move all over the place. Dropped back and did the volume with almost ease. 75kg x 3x6 last time to 75kg x 4x8 now, there's a clear improvement so I'm increasing the bench max for the next cycle to keep things moving.

Slingshot Bench Press

82.5kg x 3x8

Much easier than last time. Rest times were short as I had wanted to get the work sets done before heading to yoga to stretch out so I will do the accessories tomorrow.

Annoyed about he top set but really happy with everything else so I'm taking that as a win. Now into the deload week until Saturday!

Associate
OP
03/02/17 - Friday - Deload Squat and Deadlift

Some light squats and light deadlifts just to go through the motions as the deload week is coming to and end after my final session tomorrow.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
70kg x 4
80kg x 4x5

Nice and easy, the way it should be.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
107.5kg x 3x6

Super tight for some reason so it wasn't super comfortable but it moved easy enough.

Deadlift

107.5kg x 2x6

First set felt odd just because I haven't done a single conventional deadlift in goodness knows how long and then the second set felt really comfortable.

Leg Press

40kg x 12
80kg x 12
120kg x 3x10

Nice and easy. Just wanted enough to get things moving.

And that' it for the deload session, really short, really easy and will hopefully allow lots and lots of recovery to prepare for the new block on Monday...

Associate
OP
Deloading at 02:20 = pr0

The session happened much earlier in the day but I didn't get home until very late to then be able to log it. If I don't log the training session then did I even train?

04/02/17 - Saturday - Deload Bench

Deload Bench became even more of a deload as I only had time for my main movements and nothing more.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4x5

First set wasn't as smooth as it should have been for some reason and then every set after felt like it was just the bar.

Incline Bench

60kg x 3x5

Nice and simple.

That's it. Deload bench session was a deload session. Starting the next hypertrophy block on Monday with updated maxes and one or two tweaks here and there that I feel beneficial.

Associate
OP
06/02/17 - Monday - Light Squats

Start of the new cycle with a light squat session and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. The squats weren't "light" but they certainly weren't heavy either so that's always an up and the knees feel good. Knees weren't a fan of doing leg press though but that's more than likely because it took so long to be able to use the damn thing. People are like vultures in commercial gyms...

High Bar Squats

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
87.5kg x 3x12

Niceeeee. Got the heart going but didn't feel like any set was the be all to end all either.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3x12

Should have been sets of 10 but never mind. Extra volume in a volume block doesn't sound like the end of the world to me.

Leg Press

40kg x 12
80kg x 12
100kg x 3x12

That was honestly enough for my knees tonight. Plenty of room to improve next time.

Happy with that session, it was a really nice way to start the new training block. Hopefully I'll have some success from benching tomorrow too.

Associate
OP
07/02/17 - Tuesday - Medium Bench

Decent bench session today and I do believe a pb with my medium grip for the sets/reps. Also managed the highest % and reps with close grip too. About time I got that lift moving.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3x10

For the most part I was night and tight but there was the odd rep or two where I had to shuffle to reposition.

Close Grip Bench

62.5kg x 3x10

About damn time. Actually felt really good and rather powerful for once.

Cable Chest Flys (Low to High)

17.5kg x 3x10

Face Pulls

30kg x 3x10

Cable Rows

55kg x 4x10

Everything felt really comfortable. Hopefully things will continue for Thursday when I deadlift.

Associate
OP
09/02/17 - Thursday - Heavy Deadlift

My actual work sets weren't that difficult at all but my pb sets were absolutely killer, full blown RPE 11. Regardless however, I managed the ob sets and then all the volume I initially intended to do as well. Skipped the accessories though as buy the end I was dying so I am going to spread out the accessories over the next few days.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
120kg(B) x 2
140kg(B) x 1 - flew
145kg(B) x 6 - Far harder than I expected based on the 140

It went up, no assistance, no hitch or anything like that but felt considerably harder than the 140kg before hand, and the warm ups flew. Really pleased with the pb but it shouldn't have been as hard as it was. Still kept good form and everything was worked.

Equipped Sumo Deadlift

150kg(B,S) x 6 - never again doing 6 reps. 3 at the most.
155kg(B,S) x 3,f - just too drained

Doing a set of 6 in the suit was horrid, blood pressure shot through the roof and my heart was pounding for about 10 minutes before the next set. Not fussed about the miss, I'll keep the reps lower next time and work up to a top 1-3 next time rather than 6.

Sumo Deadlift

125kg(S) x 3x8

Felt much lighter after the pb sets. RPE increased each set as intended so I knew it was the right choice for today.

Deficit Deadlift (~2")

120kg(S) x 3x8

Smoked the first set, was please to be finished by the time I put down the bar on the third.

And that's that over with. Bench tomorrow so that should allow a bit of a rest for the lower body. I still have squats on Saturday so hopefully I'm good to go.

Associate
OP
10/02/17 - Friday - Heavy Bench

Not a bad bench session at all. Managed to improve on my top set from my last heavy session so that's an up and managed to increase the weight on my top volume sets by 2.5kg.

Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
70kg x 3
80kg x 2
87.5kg x 4 - last week I only managed 3
77.5kg x 3x8

Quite happy with that, next week I'll have another opportunity to improve the reps, increase the pause as necessary etc and might add a set as I think I've messed up already. Good start.

Slingshot Bench Press

85kg x 3-4 x 8

Not sure how many I did, it might have been 3, it might have been 4, but ultimately I was only supposed to do 2. Even better start.

DB Incline Press

22.5kg x 3x10

Not bad.

DB OHP

15kg x 3x10

My shoulder strength is terrible but still +2.5kg from last time so that's something.

DB Rows

25kg x 4x10

Back strength is still pretty bad but that should hopefully improve.

Associate
OP
13/02/17 - Monday - Medium Squats

Rushed for time so managed my main set of squats and stiff leg deadlifts as my accessory and that was it. My left adductor feels like it's sticking and simply not opening up properly. I found I was almost being pulled forward a bit rather than being able to open up properly and sit nicely in the hole. I'm sure some mobility work and stretching will sort me out nicely.

High Bar Squat

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
60kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 2
95kg x 10
90kg x 10 - misloaded the bar
95kg x 10

They weren't horrific but they were far from great. Had to adjust my stance to compensate for the left adductor being a bit rubbish, otherwise if I tried to fight it and open up at the hips more then I was actually shifting the weight onto the right hip.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

60kg x 5
80kg(S) x 3
100kg(S) x 3
105kg(S) x 3x10

Pretty straight forward. Hopefully going to go for 110 next time.

That's it. Moving the front squats to wednesday to do before deadlifts and moving the accessories to wherever is relevant. Bench tomorrow.

Associate
OP
14/02/17 - Tuesday - Light Bench

Felt absolutely rotten this morning but by the time I cam around to training I wasn't feeling as bad. It was still a good session but it could have been better if I had been feeling ok the entire day.

Medium Grip Bench

Bar x lots x lots
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 4
67.5kg x 3x10

Not bad at all, paused most reps but then had to half pause the last few. Nice to see that bench isn't completely rubbish for once.

Incline Bench Press

60kg x 3x10

Very touch and go but I don't care, I'm not competing in the incline bench press any time soon...

Lat Pull Down

55kg x 4x10

+5kg from last cycle

Tricep Pushdown

25kg x 3x10

+2.5kg but a little bit of discomfort in the elbow. Going to work on shoulder mobility a tad more and make sure everything is moving nicely. At least the shoulders are getting strong anyway.

Cable Lateral Raise

12.5kg x 3x10

Shoulders aren't as rubbish as before.

Not a bad session at all. Front squats, sumo deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, accessories tomorrow.... urgggghhhhh

Associate
OP
17/02/17 - Friday - Light Deadlifts

Lower %'s but high volume. Possibly the best deadlifts have felt in a while and grip strength is improving, I managed 3x12 without straps whereas before I'd get 1 or 2 sets at best.

Front Squat

Bar x lots x los
40kg x 8
50kg x 6
60kg x 3x10

Miles better than I was expecting and actually felt comfortable with a narrower stance.

Sumo Deadlift

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3
112.5kg x 3x12

Felt really good and it felt like my grip strength has improved a lot too.

Deficit Deadlift (~2")

107.5kg(S) x 3x12

First 2 sets flew but the final set was more tiresome due to fatigue.

Back Extensions

BW x 3x12

Nice way tons stretch out.

Happy with that session. Bench tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom