Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo! (it was installed in June 2024)

So after checking nearly every day it appears GigaClear are now available at my address.
Now my next issues is.....do I go for it? Or hold out a bit longer as we now have Virgin vans in the area carrying out work to bring their FTTP....
Unless you need the TV package you can get with Virgin for Sports (and there are other ways) I would absolutely be choosing Gigaclear.

Toob is almost done in our area, I tried to go with virgin, but as it was never run to my house (new build on end of previous terrace) it was proving very difficult!

Don't know Toob is good or bad, but don't have much choice. Really want to move on from 62mbps

Im gutted, OR were meant to be rolling out FTTP to our area with a completion date of the end of this year, been chasing them for months and finally got a phone call on Wednesday only to be told that our estate and anywhere else that hadn't been switched on yet is cancelled.

Infuriating as the ducts have been installed to the cab which serves our house but there is no FTTP stuff from there to us as it's all in ducts under the road. Only hope we have now is that Netomia and Spring Fibre have started rolling out bits but it looks like they are a few years away before getting it turned on, that is if they can be bothered to get it to our house unlike OR!
Well, this has taken an interesting turn.

After writing a few emails to OR and Spring back in May we found our that our estate was planned to be in a "Sweeper" program.

Fast forward to today and a load of red spray paint appeared on the floor boxes along with OR workers feeding fibre up to the road at the end of our cul-de-sac. Apparently our area is now being hooked up and I even got to see inside the boxes which was quite interesting.

Fingers crossed that there are no blockages between the boxes on that side of the street and the join boxes on ourside as the worker said they planned to get it hooked up and live in a few weeks time

Last edited:
Toob is almost done in our area, I tried to go with virgin, but as it was never run to my house (new build on end of previous terrace) it was proving very difficult!

Don't know Toob is good or bad, but don't have much choice. Really want to move on from 62mbps

They seem to be building around are area in Park Gate / Locks Heath, Dec 24 is my contract end date with Virgin, can hope...

They seem to be building around are area in Park Gate / Locks Heath, Dec 24 is my contract end date with Virgin, can hope...
I'm in Swanwick, they have done our road, guess there's more to do further back.

I'm on broadband, in contract, but I'll just do it as only 62mbps. That ends in Oct, so not far away.

How accurate is date stated on OR website, mine says between now and September 2024.
Depends, on the website mine was initially stated as 2023 however here I am waiting for the roll out in my area to complete :D

Sometimes even though it has a date it can be wrong due to properties being moved out of scope or integrated into sweeper projects later on, the only confirmed date is when you get a letter through your door or an email saying that fibre is ready to order :)

Depends, on the website mine was initially stated as 2023 however here I am waiting for the roll out in my area to complete :D

Sometimes even though it has a date it can be wrong due to properties being moved out of scope or integrated into sweeper projects later on, the only confirmed date is when you get a letter through your door or an email saying that fibre is ready to order :)
Ah that makes sense. We are actually buying this house on 1st August, hopefully will be ready by then.

Mine sais “not yet available” But I’m wondering if it’s soon because we’ve had new polls down the street and now there’s looms of fibre optic FT cable (I went over and read the cable type) tied on each one with what looks like fibre joint boxes at the top next to current analog stuff .

Well I'm still waiting but we have had big movements as of last night!

Went to check on bidb.uk and noticed that our postcode and house number was showing as eligible for Openreach FTTP. I thought it might be a bug so I went on the BT Wholesale checked and low and behold!

EytsPnS.jpg

I must admit, it's a bit unusual and I'm wondering if there is still a long wait as we were advised in July by OR that the street would need a new floorbox installing for the CBT along with a fair bit of digging to install toby boxes (That being said, we have a ducted route from our master socket all the way to the nearest 32 joint box so maybe they decided it wasn't needed)

Either way, I've ordered a 30 day rolling package with Freeola which should have an engineer coming round on the 20th so I'm really hoping it's as simple as running the new fibre through the existing ducting as I'm not sure I will be able to convince them to install the toby box near the existing duct I installed for Virgin Media

Last edited:
After some initial teething problems with wired and wifi to TV and Firestick, things settled down after about a week and its very stable and I couldn't be happier, got PC, and two TV's running wired via Cat 7's.

£24 P/M for 2 years - no prices rises, getting about 480 MBPS. More than enough for anything I could ever need.

:D

For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

Today I looked and saw this.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

I don't know what to say, I really don't.

More likely you get it before 2026.

I got the same as you but emailed Openreach as they say my area will be ready for FTTP in June/July 2025 if all go smoothly, if not then it will be before 2026.

220Mbps upload was always a hugely expensive option that most retail providers don't offer
It pretty stupid to pay extra premium charge for extra upload to 220Mbps that's why I hate Openreach as they never will do both same speed for download and upload! Some do 920/920 for £25 a month! Come on Openreach stop being so greedy, get a grip!

Why are you replying to four month old posts and letting everyone know your 5G speeds? None of this is relevant.

Back
Top Bottom