Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo! (it was installed in June 2024)

27x faster than my connection :p

Forever waiting.
Not even hitting 900 yet lol

I was very lucky here got smarty 5G over 1Gbps down and over 150Mbps up and EE 5G over 330Mbps down and over 70Mbps up, probably not bother now with Openreach June / July FTTP. Happy to pay Smarty £12 a month (cheap) for 5G.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're verging on being an advert now!
:cry: :cry: I know FTTP is more stable and reliable 24/7/365 while mobile mast can be unreliable due to weather change! I still order Plusnet FTTP when it come!

Can they put FTTP cable through master socket (copper line) as it current live on G.fast 330/50 on it (sync at 267/41)

Just release now: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...bps-uk-openreach-broadband-plans-go-live.html

Still expensive side https://i.ibb.co/K01ykVf/Screenshot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
5G is all well and good if you're in one of the areas that can get those speeds. The best I see on 5G around here is about 150Mb so that's no good. Latency of 20ms is pretty good for 5G though, I'll give it that, but I'll still take the 3ms I get on fibre :)

An FTTP connection won't have anything to do with the existing master socket or cabling, but I assume they can pull the old copper cable out and run fibre through the same hole that it used. The master socket would be removed in that situation but it depends whether or not that location is suitable for you as it will need power available for the ONT to be installed.

Agreed on 5G working under the right circumstances. When I was in London in an 'interesting' flat connectivity wise it was far and away the best option available to me and genuinely usable. Multiple servers with direct line of sight. I think I even managed some single digit pings iirc.

Fast forward to living in a typical market town and best I could manage was a single server on 4G that frequently went down for maintenance for days at a time. Fortunately FTTP came along shortly after.

We have people working from home using 4G or 5G connections and they are, without exception, useless.

One of them has over 200 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload.

I can see them being useful as a last resort or as a backup, but if you can get even 60Mbps FTTC the quality of experience on that vs a cellular connection will be night and day. You might just have to wait a bit longer for your downloads.

Working from home is already saving a fortune in costs related to the commute, there's no excuse for not having a solid connection, even if you're spending £50 to get it.

5G is all well and good if you're in one of the areas that can get those speeds. The best I see on 5G around here is about 150Mb so that's no good. Latency of 20ms is pretty good for 5G though, I'll give it that, but I'll still take the 3ms I get on fibre :)

An FTTP connection won't have anything to do with the existing master socket or cabling, but I assume they can pull the old copper cable out and run fibre through the same hole that it used. The master socket would be removed in that situation but it depends whether or not that location is suitable for you as it will need power available for the ONT to be installed.
My master socket was copper from outside bin cupboard with underground copper so Openreach will use that FTTP optic through master socket as they have two electric sockets next to master socket (one for ONT FTTP unit) and (one for Plusnet Hub Two Router) I think they will do this way!

I can see them being useful as a last resort or as a backup, but if you can get even 60Mbps FTTC the quality of experience on that vs a cellular connection will be night and day. You might just have to wait a bit longer for your downloads.

Working from home is already saving a fortune in costs related to the commute, there's no excuse for not having a solid connection, even if you're spending £50 to get it.
I always have this argument with people. You work from home all the time, why not have a decent connection to actually work using instead of being the "ohhh my connection isn't working turn off your cameras" person that everyone hates.

Plus as you say the cost saving offsets the increased costs

I've been checking every now and then for the last few years, always said not available and not planned. Asked a few friends that live local and they all get full fibre, so I checked some other houses in my street and they could have full 900mb connections - odd!

I contacted OpenReach and it turns out to be a computer error - my address was shown as not connected, but it is. Will have access within a few days, so looking for new deals! Been with BT for eons

OR have been all over our area recently and I just got an email to say that's it's coming. No actual timescale yet, but it's a positive move... Quite looking forward to a 50mps+ connection

Welp Openreach came to our house to complete the stage 1 part of the install and safe to say, it didn't go fabulously.

The engineer who came out was surprised that there were no floor boxes near our house with the only one being across the street, after they did some digging they advised they would need to complete some more works including installing two boxes (One across from the other on the other side of the road) and one just round the corner near where our house is which they can then feed a duct directly from into the house.

We've also been speaking to one of the escalations engineers at Openreach who gave us a call after the visit as they too were surprised that these missing boxes were not there, the problem now comes in that the engineer who came to the house needs to plan what a build would look like and since it is going to cross a road and curve round the street it looks like it might get pricey and I doubt the provider we have put our order in will want to pay it.

Still we shall wait and see, probably the second less than good piece of news today as our Virgin line failed for 9 hrs again for the 3rd time this year... :(

Last edited:
If they marked you as served by FTTP and took the order then you do sort of fall into an "Openreach will build it" category, or at least that was how it used to work. So it might take a while but they will more than likely get the build done.

How does your copper phone line get to you, or have you never had phone service?

Last edited:
If they marked you as served by FTTP and took the order then you do sort of fall into an "Openreach will build it" category, or at least that was how it used to work. So it might take a while but they will more than likely get the build done.

How does your copper phone line get to you, or have you never had phone service?
I sure hope so, at the moment nobody is quite sure what the charges will be and if they will exceed the amount the provider I've subscribed with will pay them. It's a bit infuriating considering everyone on our side of the street will have the same issue

Back
Top Bottom