Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo! (it was installed in June 2024)

I've had FTTC (upper 50's Mb/low 60's Mb on speedtest) for about 10 years now and have just ordered FTTP 500Mb as it's just been installed on my road.
They will be installing it in another week at my house but just wondering a few things...

I assume they remove the redundant copper cable drop line? (mine is from a telegraph pole on the road at the front of the house).

I should actually get 500Mb and not say 400/450Mb? (at least with a wired ethernet connection, although I have an Asus RT-AC68U that is reporting 500-650Mb using my iphone 15 pro with Wi-Fi sweetspots app to test wifi speeds so it shouldn't be a limiting factor depending on location in the house).

Ive had sky 500 fttp for about 3 months now, i get 524mb/s through ethernet, 73 upload and pings of about 7 ms to google and bbc.

They took the old copper cable out from the pole across the road and put in a new fibre cable from the pole across the road, the fibre box is on the telegraph pole.

Im using an Asus AC88-U as the router,not the sky one, its pretty decent.

Last edited:
We have people working from home using 4G or 5G connections and they are, without exception, useless.

One of them has over 200 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload.
Cellular connections are always uplink limited due to the transmission constraints placed on your phone/tablet/cellular modem by the laws of physics and man.

Got FTTP out here in the middle of rural nowhere the other week after 5 years of being told it was coming. Supposedly a 2gbps/1gbps connection, but I’m not complaining.

800 mbps/600 mbps cabled at my PC and 500/300 downstairs on iThings over the WiFi.

Same price of €42 a month as my old 15/3 WIMAX connection and landline calls to European landlines are included on the VoIP package, saving me €25 a month on having a fixed line at the house.

I'm happy for you, but it does make me a little sad. We're in the middle of a main town close to a cabinet and it's been years

I'm happy for you, but it does make me a little sad. We're in the middle of a main town close to a cabinet and it's been years
You have my sympathies.

French government issues a directive to get reliable internet connections to the rural areas which have both very poor cellular coverage and/or were too far from the nearest exchange for DSL as many of the state services as well as banking are mostly accessed online.

It’s taken so long to rollout as one of the companies that Orange France subbed out the work to underbid on the work and got very sulky when they found they were laying fibre at a loss and rollout slowly to a crawl as it went to court.

My contract is actually with Bouygues who ran the fibre from the pole at the top of my driveway to my house and installed the junction box where I wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom