Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Soldato
I'm down to about a 3rd of my main wood store, so will have to grab another few trailer loads to season soon.
Fortunately I get it for almost free, but have to put in the hours splitting and storing it.
The last lot I had..

DQ2eqFB.jpg
paW8jc2.jpg

I always keep a bunch of wood briquettes as a stand by, and they burn slowly, give great heat and leave almost zero ash..

zD8jf60.jpg

I've also got a few 100KG's of 200+ year old pear tree (from my garden) that's been seasoning in another wood store, but that's saved for special, and boy does it smell nice.

Soldato
First load dropped

IMG-20220702-082920-01.jpg

Second on its way ....

Soldato
So started thinking I'd do a bit of stacking

I usually fill the bottom section of this store with one load (double rows) I started stacking treble rows and going for getting as much in rather than aesthetics

IMG-20220702-162854-01.jpg

Treble rowed the bottom, crammed it on literally every square inch in the top section which is surprising spacious ...

IMG-20220702-165341-01.jpg

Rammed

IMG-20220702-165335-01.jpg

Then also filled almost half the second store

IMG-20220702-164552-01.jpg

And have two sizeable baskets full of odd pieces and nice chunks / slices to make into hardwood kindling

IMG-20220702-164719-01.jpg

Soldato
Caved into the wife -she wanted me to order some more logs before they go up.
So another load due on Wednesday and still same price as last lot.
All I am doing at moment is paying out money for heat - Both put spare £50 into the heating oil account. Checked tank today and it's two thirds full (2500ltr tank)-- Was 60p ltr last time -god knows what it will be next time.

Soldato
Caved into the wife -she wanted me to order some more logs before they go up.
So another load due on Wednesday and still same price as last lot.
All I am doing at moment is paying out money for heat - Both put spare £50 into the heating oil account. Checked tank today and it's two thirds full (2500ltr tank)-- Was 60p ltr last time -god knows what it will be next time.

How much you paying for a load at the moment? I was at Reeves in Wem yesterday and they are charging £350 for a large bin which is approximately 2 large cages worth. Kiln dried ash.

I’m not too far in Bomere. I usually get it for free and process it but I am just too busy at the moment with renovation/family.

Soldato
How much you paying for a load at the moment? I was at Reeves in Wem yesterday and they are charging £350 for a large bin which is approximately 2 large cages worth. Kiln dried ash.

I’m not too far in Bomere. I usually get it for free and process it but I am just too busy at the moment with renovation/family.
I pay £95 for a large trailer load -almost 2cm -Latest wood in is Elm -Only problem is he doesn't deliver out of Prees-- I find Reeves a bit expensive. Wood is not cheap anymore-

You could try Ridge Fuels in Shrewsbury -It was free delivery for me here in Prees - it has gone up from £140 to £180 but you do get a full tipper Transit load. Look at their web site.

Soldato
Had the logs delivered today - I am sure the log suppliers are battening out their trailers and relining with thick ply as the loads seem to be quite a bit less than they were.
As the wife said stop moaning -at least they are the right size and you don't have to cut and split any- She is right.
All log stores are full so stacked these against side of house -so come winter these will be used first.

Also got chimney sweep coming Monday -First time ever I have had someone do it - Here I used to get on roof and rod down till it stopped then brushed out first 2ft above log burner to finish it - Never had more than half a bucket full anytime.
Too old now to walk along ridge tiles (bungalow)

Ms1mg8p.png

GOoUhtS.png

Soldato
Chimney sweep came today - I can't believe how easy it is (mine was anyway) No dust no fuss.

He put a black cloth over front of stove then held it in place with long magnets so it sealed well -there is a plastic tube inlet with two holes -One for rods and the other for his £1200 vaccuum cleaner.-Turned vac on then pushed rods up to top of chimney then put his drill on end of rods and pulled rods down slowly with up and down movement removing one rod at a time.

When he took cloth off the firebox was half full of very fine soot which he said was spot on.

All in all 1hours job -half that if I had buggered off and left him to it.
He can come back next year.

Soldato
I found the same first time I had it done.
I expected the sweep to be extracting bags full of soot after it was swept (I burn smokeless, house coal and wood) but there was very little.
My only complaint is that he didn’t send a small child up there to do it.

Soldato
Yeah our house insurance has something in it about regularly having the chimney professionally cleaned. We've a local guy does ours, it's a really quick and easy job for him, takes no longer than 30/40 mins & does a tidy job. We tend to get it done in the spring/early summer so it's cleared after we're finished burning for the season. Charged us £50 a couple of months ago, only a £5 increase in the last few years.

I'm a bit overdue posting in here! We have a little 'Franco Belge' - https://www.directstoves.com/franco-belge-montfort-elegance-multi-fuel-stove.html we had put in a couple of years after we moved in. So around 7-8 years ago. 1970's build and had a big wide chimney breast in the living room with a 'fake' wooden hearth around an electric fire. I removed it all and found a hole behind, widened it and saw it was a chimney that had been bricked up. Got a local company in to rip it out and fit the stove (also put a metal flue all the way up).
Pre (previous owners):
fJNS1GW.jpg

Stove (Doggo loves it!):
C7CMu0x.jpg

Kinda wish (hindsight) I'd got them to widen the hearth more, so there was more airflow to get heat out into the room. Or the stove sitting 'out' a bit more. Have a Vonhaus branded stove fan, but actually looks more like this one. Works well to get heat out into the room, but it is a large space (half open plan into dining room) where we have the doors open so heats the house very little. In the coldest parts of winter it realistically only heats that room, but it is our main living space so we're pleased with it.

Kiln dried logs we get from various local places. Had a local guy a friend who'd done some tree work for us, but we've seen the cost for that go from £55 to £95 the last 4 years, but it was quality stuff. Last time I spoke to him it was going to over £100 'builders bag' with quite a wait for it so looked elsewhere. Used a large local sawmill/timbers merchants who had 'hard wood off cuts' at £75 a bag. When speaking to them there was a waiting list, but he was able to offer 'hardwood block cuts' at £62 a bag, but with delivery had to get 2 bags as a 'crate' for offloading. He said most people struggled with the size for delivery (by lorry with a crane), but we have lots of room so went for it. Really happy with what arrived and the quality of it. It's possibly almost 2 'builders bags', maybe slightly less. The stuff being large block cuts and very little rubbishy smaller filler stuff in there I would say it's been better value so would get again.

OC2lS4F.jpg
X2nJwfk.jpg

Am considering building some kind of 'wood store'. At the moment using the rear of the garage which is ok, but can't stack much higher than this without it falling. I do have some good space outside the garage for it, semi sheltered, but would need to put a roof on it. Or just some kinda shelving in this part of the garage so can stack higher. I kept the pallet & plastic from the delivery for a base of this, just need to figure out the 'walls' to mount some kind of shelves.

My parents are (mostly retired) farmers so I have access to lots of rough bits of woodland. As yet I've not really felled anything - they have enough windfall that they store and dry out, I've been cutting and stacking for them while also taking some for myself. With the cost of energy & the kiln dried we've been purchasing I'll be doing more of it - probably also doing some felling - they have a patch of woodland behind their property which needs thinning out. Some big ash in there which does need to come down. I've only basic chainsaw experience (did a bunch of clearing forestry/snedding mostly conifers for several months) but have done the Lantra courses previously to fell stuff of around that size. Probably need some refreshing before tackling some of the bigger stuff (it's been 15-20 years), but will be easy as lots of space there and nothing to damage to be aware of (except myself lol).

Have the following: Stihl MS-170, Husqvarna boots, Stihl helmet & Oregon yukon trousers. Really happy with them and like the saw. Previous saws I've used where all bigger and generally older so this is nice and light & easy to use. But as mentioned have not felled anything with it yet. May consider a bigger bar than the 12" on it if I was to do much more felling (which it should handle up to 15").

Last edited:
Soldato
Burning logs is not a cheap way of warming your house up anymore - Just had a letter from the supplier near me and he has put it up from £95 to £105 - small increase but they all add up.

Long gone are the days I had free wood.

Associate
Whilst I don't disagree that it's gone up, I think it depends on your use profile and your house (and nothing is cheaper than free!) But I paid £250ish last summer for just under 3 cubic m seasoned mixed hardwood and got through about half of that through the season. I'm planning to do the same this summer and it's looking like it's gone up to about £290 for the same quantity. That being said my gas consumption is high at 20k+ kWh per annum so anything is going to feel cheaper than that come the winter!

For context I live in a detached Victorian house so think solid walls, high ceilings and single glazing in places which all take more energy to heat and both my wife and I work from home full time.

Back
Top Bottom