Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Associate
I'm moving home next month, going to miss my woodburner.
New home is meant to be quite efficient at retaining heat, will see when I get in.

Tempted to get a burner installed after a while in the sun room, kitchen, dining room

I have approx 1m3 of wood leftover from winter, will be giving that to a friend.
He may as well get the use of that

Associate
Built and filled a coal store with 170kg of coal i have had for a few years, before the bags disintegrate. Should last this winter, although tempted to get 80kg more to fill it right up.

Soldato
Yeah, they're brilliant

Place at the back of the stove pointing towards the room ideally past the flue
You have to be kidding - there is hardly enough room for an egg cup.

Now if we still had the Clearview 700 (750) I could get a line of them in. . Do miss that stove.

Roll on winter.
:cry:

Associate
Turned this barrow of foraged wood;

IMG-20220808-205404.jpg

Into this;

IMG-20220815-200350.jpg

IMG-20220815-201223.jpg

First outing for the Fiskars X25 and I'm very impressed with it. Not sure how I managed without it!

Soldato
Traditional axe purists **** off Fiskars stuff, but it can’t be beaten for price, ease of handling and durability.

Avoid their axe/knife sharpener though as neither of my X7 or X25 fit.

Use a flat file to get any big dings out of the use, then use a stone and plenty of oil to put and edge back on it. If you’re being really fancy, use an old leather belt as a strop to take any burrs off.

Remember to work with the existing profile/edge rather than trying to make a new one.

Last edited:
Associate
Avoid their axe/knife sharpener though as neither of my X7 or X25 fit.

Bummer, did get one with it but not tried it yet!

Got a nice big oilstone from taking dings out of CNC tables and fixtures. Good shout on that, I usually just used a file on the old Maul. To be honest the wife has been moaning about the state of the kitchen knives so I'll use the Fiskars sharpener for them!

Feels so much more efficient to use than the old B&Q splitting Maul. Barely need to swing it!

Downside is I probably need to re-address my splitting block, as I've nearly split that already!

Back
Top Bottom