Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Wood chipping compressed logs turned up (too early) this morning and were stored away..

QbpIccy.jpg.png
TsPMps9.jpg
bzXbb0e.jpg

These will easily last me 18-24 months.
Luckily I got them just before they went up £50 :)

£360, instead of £410.
It seems they've pulled their listings from Ebay, but are still available on their website..

I've had nearly 3 tons from them and can't reccomend them or the hot blocks enough.

How long do they burn/last? I just had a whole pickup flatbed of seasoned logs delivered for £170...that should last me the winter (Depending on how much I use the burner of course!)

Bought a second hand log burner off FB Marketplace

IMG-20220828-130341-01.jpg

Weighs an absolute ton, but managed to get it round the back garden and to the gazebo, which is where it's going

IMG-20220828-134942-01.jpg

Swapped the flue outlet from the tip to the back and gave it a good clean

Needs some new vermiculite board for the chamber and a flue, but shouldn't be too bad and should get it away and running.

IMG-20220828-142131-01.jpg

IMG-20220828-142139-01.jpg

IMG-20220828-141732-01.jpg

IMG-20220828-141801-01.jpg

IMG-20220828-142151-01.jpg

Going to measure up for vermiculite board and flue size in a bit.

Was doing some reading up last night and have gone round and round in circles and now can't decide between twin wall or standard steel flue !

The flue is likely to be a 45° angle out the back, short pipe length (through a yet to be installed side panel on the gazebo) another 45° angle to take it vertical and then a few metres (3 I reckon) to a cowl / cap.

I get the twin wall insulated is "cool" to the touch and therefore less need for fire board protection and it appears to have a longer lifespan outside. However it's also quite expensive and due to the insulation core comes in set lengths

The single wall / standard pipe is significantly cheaper, can be cut and where the flue is running, it being hot shouldn't be an issue

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice as my head is spinning now :D

Single skin for the easily accessible area where you want the most heat radiated.

In other news, the re-blacking polish for stoves gives off some horrible fumes when the stove gets hot, so do that first burn before guests arrive.

Just off out to measure now and will pop a sketch up but the flue will (well is intended) to exit the back of the stove, through the panel and to external so the vast majority of the flue will be outside

Decided not to re-black / paint the stove for now as it doesn't look too bad at all

So been out and measured up - it's 5" internal diameter outlet on the stove

Currently thinking a 45° vitreous pipe out the back. Short length through the (to be installed panel) with whatever heatproof surround.

Another 45° stove pipe angle. Stove pipe to twin wall adapter then twin wall in the vertical

Something like

IMG-20220829-102128-01.jpg

First time posting in this thread, have had a stove for 2-3 years but it hasn’t seen much use since we have a very young family.

It’s a 5kw Stovey, they’re not made any more but it’s a nice bit of kit. Good build quality and aesthetic.

We’re semi detached but when I replaced the lounge floor (yet to burn the old one ) I installed a duct from outside to the back of the stove. Glue goes up the chimney.

We’ve never had a stove before or really know anybody with one so not too clued up on best use.

I’ve a lot of untreated, dry timber stock piled in the garage from various building projects. At least 1 ton and have therefore never burned actual logs in it. Just bits of old floorboard (unpainted), off cuts of kiln dried CLS, etc

This burns quite quickly, is there a good technique to burning this type of wood? I was warned not to put too much in the stove at once as it burns hotter than logs so can cause glass to crack? Is that true?

I’ve always struggled with keeping the glass clean, it soots up very quickly, is this my fuel/technique or typical?

The main reason we’ve only used it a handful of times each winter is the fear of the kids (4 kids all 6 and under) burning themselves. Does anybody use a stove with a young family? What’s your set up?

Hoping the stove can shave a fair chunk off our gas usage this winter!

Cheers.

So been out and measured up - it's 5" internal diameter outlet on the stove

Currently thinking a 45° vitreous pipe out the back. Short length through the (to be installed panel) with whatever heatproof surround.

Another 45° stove pipe angle. Stove pipe to twin wall adapter then twin wall in the vertical

Something like

IMG-20220829-102128-01.jpg

Sadly I would not risk this. The single wall needs to be 3 times the diameter from combustible material. Just spend the money on the twin wall and be safe. I have done the same with a stove and a pizza oven in mine

Thanks - actually looking at the options, may run single wall internally (with fire board behind) to get the benefit of the radiant heat from the pipe. Then angle through the panel (with heat proof shroud) and into twin wall once external ....

SAS.
The lad I worked for put a woodburner in his Gym.
Almost same as your sketch but internal flue went up to ceiling then through the wall. He used single skin flue even outside and it turned out to be a right pain in balls.
The thing with single skin outside is the cold - Flues need to be warm for smoke to rise and many a time I lit that stove only to fill Gym with smoke - I had to get blowlamp out to warm flue up quite a number of times.

Tesla
Does your stove have air wash - in other words is there a vent above doors to let air in -if so it shouldn't soot up glass - If not then you will have to keep cleaning the glass -Damp newspaper/paper towel dipped in wood ash cleans it up great.
You used to be able to buy fire surrounds - I am sure two of those tied together should keep kids away.

First time posting in this thread, have had a stove for 2-3 years but it hasn’t seen much use since we have a very young family.

It’s a 5kw Stovey, they’re not made any more but it’s a nice bit of kit. Good build quality and aesthetic.

We’re semi detached but when I replaced the lounge floor (yet to burn the old one ) I installed a duct from outside to the back of the stove. Glue goes up the chimney.

We’ve never had a stove before or really know anybody with one so not too clued up on best use.

I’ve a lot of untreated, dry timber stock piled in the garage from various building projects. At least 1 ton and have therefore never burned actual logs in it. Just bits of old floorboard (unpainted), off cuts of kiln dried CLS, etc

This burns quite quickly, is there a good technique to burning this type of wood? I was warned not to put too much in the stove at once as it burns hotter than logs so can cause glass to crack? Is that true?

I’ve always struggled with keeping the glass clean, it soots up very quickly, is this my fuel/technique or typical?

The main reason we’ve only used it a handful of times each winter is the fear of the kids (4 kids all 6 and under) burning themselves. Does anybody use a stove with a young family? What’s your set up?

Hoping the stove can shave a fair chunk off our gas usage this winter!

Cheers.

Softwood (your CLS / offcuts) will burn a lot quicker than seasoned hardwood, probably cooler too.

I'd get some decent seasoned hardwood logs and burn a mix of the two.

The glass dirtying could be down to having to adjust the airflow into the stove and / or the material that you're burning.

We've had burners for years and when the kids were younger just mage sure they knew not to go near it when lit.

SAS.
The lad I worked for put a woodburner in his Gym.
Almost same as your sketch but internal flue went up to ceiling then through the wall. He used single skin flue even outside and it turned out to be a right pain in balls.
The thing with single skin outside is the cold - Flues need to be warm for smoke to rise and many a time I lit that stove only to fill Gym with smoke - I had to get blowlamp out to warm flue up quite a number of times.

Tesla
Does your stove have air wash - in other words is there a vent above doors to let air in -if so it shouldn't soot up glass - If not then you will have to keep cleaning the glass -Damp newspaper/paper towel dipped in wood ash cleans it up great.
You used to be able to buy fire surrounds - I am sure two of those tied together should keep kids away.

I was hoping the twin wall outside would combat this - now toying with single intern.and twin external (post above).

We sometimes had to "pre heat" the chimney (no liner) in the old house, but burning a few sheets of paper first seemed to help a lot (ontop of the log / kindling stack)

Back
Top Bottom