Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

You will find it will also burn smokeless fuel.

There's a coal yard not too far from me so managed to procure 250kg of anthracite and topped up with about 4 big bags of logs from the parents in laws house (they seem to have an unlimited supply cut and seasoned in various spots at their house).

Once I've got a fire going with kindling and a log I just chuck a few big spatulas full of anthracite on top and knock the vents open and that works a hell of a lot better than topping up with logs. Paid £135 for 250kg, not sure if that is good or bad but felt reasonable. Just need to get a spot sorted at home to store logs that isn't on the floor in bags in our shed

I have the X25 and it's working well for me.

I can imagine the extra weight of something bigger could be good if you have large rounds. I don't feel any need to upgrade at the moment though.

I‘ve found a spiral steel wood splitting wedge very useful for breaking up rounds that my 4 tonne electro-hydraulic spitter won’t touch, but then I did have a spare 14lb sledgehammer sitting idle and I find swinging that easier than using a heavy axe.

Always wear safety glasses if you’re hitting metal things with other metal things.

Always keep one big round (if you don’t have a big tree stump handy) as a chopping block as it saves you putting your axe into the dirt.

Before we had to have our eldest cat put down she took to sleeping in the lounge Infront of the burner.

As we were going to bed if out another split on and choke the air right down and it would keep going for a few hours but often embers the next morning which would re-ignite with some paper and kindling :)

Seen a few FB posts about smokeless coal or similar in multifuel burners as a bed / over night but never tried it

Seen a few FB posts about smokeless coal or similar in multifuel burners as a bed / over night but never tried it
I burn wood/hot blocks during the evening and before I retire to bed, chuck on a load of coal and that keeps going all night and then lob a little more in the morning to keep going throughout the day.
My stove hasn't been off in weeks.

Last edited:
I burn wood/hot blocks during the evening and before I retire to bed, chuck on a load of coal and that keeps going all night and then lob a little more in the morning to keep going throughout the day.
My stove hasn't been off in weeks.
Nice!

That's the plan for the new log burner when it goes into the kitchen :D

Hi all,

No further progress on logs as I realised I have no where "proper" to store them.

I can definitely knock together a log store of my own making, but is there any plans available online that folk have used?
I made one (worth 200 quid if you look at the prices on the link to buy one above) out of two pallets I got for free, a quids worth of screws and nails and a tenner of roofing felt. It isn't huge but you could easily make bigger. This was at my old house.

ZjHwZft.png

vriDrPx.png

RE axes, I was for ages using one of my dad's old axes which I realised was a felling axe, which meant every 3rd round I hit meant the axe getting lodged and a battle to get it out that could take a few mins.

Bought an X25 the other week and it's night and day, goes through almost anything in one hit and is lighter too. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
This hawskmoor maul is only £20 at Toolstation at the moment, seems like a pretty good deal for anyone needing a cheap and cheerful heavy maul

Really disappointed, the slate hearth has a crack in it now from one corner to the middle in front of the stove.

Last edited:
Our stove was installed in March this year, so only seen about 3 or 4 months of use really. Lit it earlier and I can now hear a sort of soft sizzling sound in the flue, loudest near the first joint around head height. When I say loudest, you still need to have your ear about 2 foot away before you can hear it.

The flue temp at that point was 160C, and has dropped to 100C now I've cautiously let the fire burn down to embers.

No glow or excessive smoke out of the top of the chimney at all.

I clearly haven't got a full on chimney fire, but any ideas what it could be? Do I need a sweep to come and look before I burn anything again?

Don't burn anything about 20% (to my knowledge, obviously don't test every log), so really don't think I'm creosoted up, but not sure what else to think and obviously want to play it safe.

Our stove was installed in March this year, so only seen about 3 or 4 months of use really. Lit it earlier and I can now hear a sort of soft sizzling sound in the flue, loudest near the first joint around head height. When I say loudest, you still need to have your ear about 2 foot away before you can hear it.

The flue temp at that point was 160C, and has dropped to 100C now I've cautiously let the fire burn down to embers.

No glow or excessive smoke out of the top of the chimney at all.

I clearly haven't got a full on chimney fire, but any ideas what it could be? Do I need a sweep to come and look before I burn anything again?

Don't burn anything about 20% (to my knowledge, obviously don't test every log), so really don't think I'm creosoted up, but not sure what else to think and obviously want to play it safe.
More than likely just the air being sucked through the joints up the chimney. This is a sign it has a good draw. Nothing to worry about.

Learning the ins and outs of a log burner for the first time
:)

cTYTEYZ.jpg

Last edited:
More than likely just the air being sucked through the joints up the chimney. This is a sign it has a good draw. Nothing to worry about.
I think I found out what it was. I used some twigs as Kindling for the first time and there were some tiny dried leaves on the twigs. I reckon the leaves that didn't get incinerated as the first started were light enough to shoot up the chimney when it started drawing and the sound I could hear was them rising and falling on the hot air going up the flu.

The flue was new with the stove so it was never going to be the case that it was soothed up.

Happy Christmas and happy burning all.

Having a look around for the Fiskars X25 and not seeing many in stock.

I've got this Roughneck set and it's ok (although not used Grenade thing), but find the maul pretty heavy for too much work, also too much to take out with me. Although it only shows it as 2.7kg makes me sound like a weakling (probably!). What should I be looking for? I think I'm after more of an axe, for cutting lighter stuff. Probably 2kg or so? Make it portable to use when I'm out with my chainsaw rather than the hand axe. More of a 'cutter' than a 'splitter' and certainly less of a maul...

Do probably need a sharpener kit for my chainsaw too so kinda on the lookout for deals. Anyone have an online store they like for much of this equipment? Last time I got Safety kit for chainsawing from frjonesandson.co.uk so will likely start there and see what they have as they where one of the cheapest places for the Stihl helmet, boots & Oregon trousers I ended up with then and I've been really happy/impressed with them!

Cut a bunch of mostly Ash at my parents place last week so have re-stocked a little. Most of it had been sat under a tarp outside all year so not the driest stuff. Although quite seasoned so have burnt some ok, mostly kept it for storage as we have enough hardwood off-cuts I got back in the summer from a local sawmill. Will use them again too during the summer as prices where good for the quality logs we got.

Last edited:
I believe the X25 is about 2.5kg and the X27 is about 2.7kg, so weight wise they won’t me much difference than what you have by the sounds of it

The X21 might work for you if weight is an issue. Seems to be 1.6-1.7kg depending on the site you look at.

Weirdly I couldn’t see the exact weight on the official site

Any recommendations on Stove fans or are they all pretty much the same?

Back
Top Bottom