Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Good tips on swapping the bar and also re mains chainsaws as that's what mine is. Though I don't have to worry about if my trousers class as entry level or not seeing as I haven't got any... yet.
And it's here ....

IMG20230117083009-01.jpg

Should keep me busy!!
How many builder's bags do you reckon that is by comparison? 4 or 5? Trying to gauge equivalent cost per bag compared to buying ready seasoned and split. Cheers!

Good tips on swapping the bar and also re mains chainsaws as that's what mine is. Though I don't have to worry about if my trousers class as entry level or not seeing as I haven't got any... yet.

How many builder's bags do you reckon that is by comparison? 4 or 5? Trying to gauge equivalent cost per bag compared to buying ready seasoned and split. Cheers!

It's hard to tell until spit down, but comparing the size the best I can to a topper or double tipper load (around 2 bags a load) I would say at least 4 if not 5

Hoping to start processing and stacking it this weekend and will be interesting to see how it breaks down

Ugh, I destroyed my chain a couple of week ago trying to split some 2.5m creosote coated sleepers in half. The chainsaw was not happy! :(

Got a multi-fuel stove and always used wood.
Tried Homefire Ecoal recently and although it burns for 5-6+ hours or so in my stove, I couldn't get it to reach the temps of logs, with the max temp being the minimum I want it.
Am using the stove controls as directed, just seems the ecoal supplies less heat but over a much longer period.

Anyone offer any advice or a different fuel?
I do like being able to have the coals heating the house on occassion without having to monitor it and do top-ups.

Ta

Yeah, I was expecting it to belt out the heat.
All cleared out with the vent fully open for air to come from underneath.
I'm wondering if it's just a crap bag of ecoal that was damp or something.

You could try Taybrite, I find it to be one of the better coals out there.
There’s a huge difference between some of the cheap stuff vs quality.

Another vote for Taybrite as it gives the most heat, Taybrite bed and birch logs..... you will have more heat than you know what to do with :).

I think I may have my coal/anthracite tekkers wrong. I can rarely get it to the stage where i have a full bed of roaring coals.

I'm starting with a typical log pile to get the initial heat then when its well established and roaring red I start to add coals on top - the problem i'm having though is that the fire and heat from initial logs is mostly concentrated around the centre of the fire box. Am i just not using enough wood initially to create a fire across the whole ire bed or should coal be set up in a different way?

I think I may have my coal/anthracite tekkers wrong. I can rarely get it to the stage where i have a full bed of roaring coals.

I'm starting with a typical log pile to get the initial heat then when its well established and roaring red I start to add coals on top - the problem i'm having though is that the fire and heat from initial logs is mostly concentrated around the centre of the fire box. Am i just not using enough wood initially to create a fire across the whole ire bed or should coal be set up in a different way?

Go kindling wood first then your coal/anthracite/taybrite, let that get going well with the air from beneath the fire, then just add a log or two on top.
Again, Taybrite is the best if you can get it for heat and less ash.

Last edited:

When your initial logs have burnt down to embers, spread them around the firebox. Crucially as well, you need your primary air closed while burning the logs, but then open when you put the coal on, as the coal wants air from below.

Back
Top Bottom