Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Hi all,

No further progress on logs as I realised I have no where "proper" to store them.

I can definitely knock together a log store of my own making, but is there any plans available online that folk have used?
It doesn't need to be anything special so long at it has a roof to keep off the rain and something to raise it off the wet ground and good ventilation it'll be fine. Its basically to keep it dry and airy and thats it really

Decided to process the remainder of the softwood off cuts

IMG20230107132510.jpg

Should be enough kindling to see us through to the end of the season, even with two burners :D

IMG20230107140209.jpg

In the good old days of having two open fires we just got a shovel full of coals out of one and put it in the other - soon had a roaring fire.

Nice big load that -hope you have a electric/hydraulic log splitter -worth weight in gold.

We have a garden bench by back door and keep the seat storage full of logs to take in -Had to fill it again today and it takes one and half good barrow loads.
By heck that wind was bitter cold this morning.
Still on this crappy Sweet Chestnut -pain to get started but once going it throws out some heat -not as much as some wood but gets room warm - Also fills ash box up very quickly and need to take some out on regular basis and its like fluffy cotton wool.
Oribubble stuff.
Got heating on now as oil is cheaper than logs.

Nice big load that -hope you have a electric/hydraulic log splitter -worth weight in gold.

We have a garden bench by back door and keep the seat storage full of logs to take in -Had to fill it again today and it takes one and half good barrow loads.
By heck that wind was bitter cold this morning.
Still on this crappy Sweet Chestnut -pain to get started but once going it throws out some heat -not as much as some wood but gets room warm - Also fills ash box up very quickly and need to take some out on regular basis and its like fluffy cotton wool.
Oribubble stuff.
Got heating on now as oil is cheaper than logs.

Its going to be the chainsaw, splitting axe and maul ....

Should keep me out of mischief for a while !

New (second) log burner going in in just over a fortnight so collecting up as much as I can all year round now to have a good store and stock to compliment what I get from my log man, which should hopefully reduce in the coming years if I process and season my own green stuff

The 4 tonne elctro-hydraulic splitters are great if you remember their limitations.

Just rebuilding my secondhand one as the pump bracket cracked and it was weeing hydraulic fluid everywhere.

Just got this lot from the local tree surgeon

Received-577839910430892-01.jpg
Nice, do you know what wood it is? Can I ask how much he charged you for that lot? I have a tree surgeon mate and have been badgering him for a bit for some wood, he says he'll stop by if he's going past but thinking perhaps he thinks I'm expecting it for free whereas he'll be able to sell elsewhere.

Nice, do you know what wood it is? Can I ask how much he charged you for that lot? I have a tree surgeon mate and have been badgering him for a bit for some wood, he says he'll stop by if he's going past but thinking perhaps he thinks I'm expecting it for free whereas he'll be able to sell elsewhere.

Its Poplar so not "the best", it's not a hardwood and burns pretty quickly but will get mixed in with hardwood.

I paid (or am paying him) £80 for the timber and £20 to load it up, deliver and off load it. So all in all happy with what I'm getting for £100 :)

He's dropping it off in the morning so will be pics aplenty, obvs :D

Is that an electric chainsaw? If so, be aware that your entry level chainsaw trousers can struggle to stop mains electric saws instantly as their motors provide way more torque than a small 2 stroke engine.

Back
Top Bottom