Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

CGI of the install

IMG-20220915-073850-01.jpg

Awesome CGI, Spielberg would be proud :D .

Are you going for a black or stainless/chrome flue?

With the heat output of that stove you might want to rethink your table placement!

Awesome CGI, Spielberg would be proud :D .

Are you going for a black or stainless/chrome flue?

With the heat output of that stove you might want to rethink your table placement!

Thanks - skilz I never knew I had :P

Black twinwall with a slate hearth and white / light grey brisk slip non combustible shield with slate coloured edge

Yeah the table will.need to shift towards and too the left as you see it in the professionally rendered image :D

Amazing stoves, only had chance to fit few due to the cost, but it does come with active baffle and multifuel. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the active baffle, as only purevision stoves have these.
We've had a smaller purevision cpv5 for 3 years or so now and it's been fantastic. The active baffle really helps if you have a cold column in the flue and also prevents any smoke from coming into the room when you open the door.

Fantastic stove, easy to use and efficient. Good upgrade @{SAS}TB. The ceramic bricks really retain heat for a long time too. The only issue we've had is the top of ours is heavily textured so not great for a stove fan. I'm thinking of trying a thermal pad or similar.

We've had a smaller purevision cpv5 for 3 years or so now and it's been fantastic. The active baffle really helps if you have a cold column in the flue and also prevents any smoke from coming into the room when you open the door.

Fantastic stove, easy to use and efficient. Good upgrade @{SAS}TB. The ceramic bricks really retain heat for a long time too. The only issue we've had is the top of ours is heavily textured so not great for a stove fan. I'm thinking of trying a thermal pad or similar.

Great ! Thanks for the feedback @Beta, much appreciated :)

Can you use the BBQ style firelighters, the white powder like blocks? Got a few of those as well.
Yes. I use them and they work well, cheap from various places too! Tend to get away with using 1 block on ours on paper & kindling with a light and dry log on top. With 'less dry' logs or stuff with bark on I'll generally use more kindling and be aiming to be burning that for 10-15 mins before the log will even light (needing more heat).

Boxes we're currently on, I think from 'Home Bargain' 48 blocks in a box and '2 boxes for £2'. Very inexpensive compared to most mentioned above...

Those BBQ firelighters are 90p a box of 20 or £1.50 for 40. - I just buy them in summer while they are cheap and have about 15 boxes in shed.

There is a bloke up road who is selling bags of sticks for about £1.50 but it's easy to do your own - if you see a bit of wood on your travels just stop and pick it up or if in a skip stop and ask -Any old piece of dry timber will do the job.
Bloke I buy logs from said he was selling best quality 'builders bags' (£100) of logs to a guy who breaks them up for kindling, who is then putting into bags and selling '2-3 logs' worth on Amazon for £10 for people to burn in their fire pits. Built up a business for himself over Covid when he was made redundant! Crazy the money people will pay for convenience!

See more and more skips sat on drives these days now too, so good tip. Have been meaning to catch my neighbour as he's got a skip with 2-3 old broken pallets in it. Going to ask if I can swap them for a couple of buckets of stones (from the garden veg patch I dug) and brick rubble from the re-pointing I'm doing! :cry:

All built and filled up.

Looks fantastic! Which was is that & where from?

Last edited:
Yes. I use them and they work well, cheap from various places too! Tend to get away with using 1 block on ours on paper & kindling with a light and dry log on top. With 'less dry' logs or stuff with bark on I'll generally use more kindling and be aiming to be burning that for 10-15 mins before the log will even light (needing more heat).

Boxes we're currently on, I think from 'Home Bargain' 48 blocks in a box and '2 boxes for £2'. Very inexpensive compared to most mentioned above...

Bloke I buy logs from said he was selling best quality 'builders bags' (£100) of logs to a guy who breaks them up for kindling, who is then putting into bags and selling '2-3 logs' worth on Amazon for £10 for people to burn in their fire pits. Built up a business for himself over Covid when he was made redundant! Crazy the money people will pay for convenience!

See more and more skips sat on drives these days now too, so good tip. Have been meaning to catch my neighbour as he's got a skip with 2-3 old broken pallets in it. Going to ask if I can swap them for a couple of buckets of stones (from the garden veg patch I dug) and brick rubble from the re-pointing I'm doing! :cry:

Looks fantastic! Which was is that & where from?
Its from here.

I think it's the 6ft x 6ft.

I always use the top down starting method log on the bottom 6 sticks of kindling a firestarter.

Hi all,

Some random bloke is offering us 2 ton(ne)? of logs for £130. Scam? I have no idea "how much" that actually is. Please help!

L
Hi all,

Some random bloke is offering us 2 ton(ne)? of logs for £130. Scam? I have no idea "how much" that actually is. Please help!
That massively depends ...

Is it by weight? Not usually measured like that and wet logs weigh more than dry logs

A "builders bag" (aka a dumpy bag) that you would get bulk gravel / soil etc in is also referred to as a ton(ne) bag. So does he mean two bags?

Then are the logs seasoned / ready to burn or green and need to be left to dry out before you use them

Then are they hard wood, dry wood or a mix?

Assumed they are processed / split

Location will also have an impact

General rough guide a builders bag of processed / split seasoned softwood may be ~£50-£70 and hardwood maybe ~£80-£110 mixed somewhere in between

Need to clarify what it is he's offering :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

No further progress on logs as I realised I have no where "proper" to store them.

I can definitely knock together a log store of my own making, but is there any plans available online that folk have used?

Hi all,

No further progress on logs as I realised I have no where "proper" to store them.

I can definitely knock together a log store of my own making, but is there any plans available online that folk have used?

I weighed up the time cost and effort of building my own and, well, quite frankly, cba :D

Got three from here :

Some pics of all three here

:)

I could do with that load myself.

Whatever you do don't buy Sweet Chesnut - it's awful to burn -goes out if you close it down and to keep a good flame you have to open it up. Got landed with two loads before I used them. So using these at moment while it's not that cold.

I chuck anything on mine. Had a stove for over 10 years. I've no idea what wood is what. If it's dry it burns and it's hot. I just chuck it on. Old fence posts are great.

Last edited:
Just did an hour of splitting outside in the 0 degree weather. Was worried the wood would be tough to split frozen, but it it felt quite brittle and was splitting well.

As a bonus it warmed me up without having to put the heating on! :D

Last edited:
Can't decide between an axe, maul, or a wedge for splitting oak logs.
Got a small axe that I use for camping that's only good for kindling.

Back
Top Bottom