I'll fetch some (upper middle class) biscuits :D

If you are ever in the valleys give me a shout
thumbs_up.gif

This month we are focusing on the outside:

2w2oshj.jpg

mwfz8j.jpg

119oz7o.jpg

33enb7t.jpg

The scaffolding has gone up around the house and our builder has started preparing the walls for new render on the gable end and around the rear - getting rid of the old defective render, racking out the cement/lime pointing and allowing them to dry out. The front of the house is getting a freshen up too with new cement pointing, chemical stone cleaning & sealing and paint stripping & restoring the sandstone window bay.

I went with the Universeal range for the stone cleaner, sealer and stripper:
zjudsx.jpg

The garden wall was built onto the side of the house before they rendered it! So we've taken it down for the new rendering and will replace it with a stronger (and extra secure) one :D

2wn67v8.jpg

2ytnwcl.jpg

We also dug up footings around the patio area for a new drainage channel that will divert surface water away from the house:

29yr0b5.jpg

Associate
OP
Small update

Some of the sand and cement has arrived for the render:
wivytc.jpg

The lead flashing needs to be replaced, previous roofers cut corners by using 3lb lead instead of 4lb lead - this has caused micro tears over the years from bad weather.
25i5gep.jpg

The front has been raked out:
21chxdz.jpg

2ilbplu.jpg

The last of the old render has been taken off the utility room.
106x9fk.jpg

The bathroom vent has been fitted - a short run going straight through the wall instead of fitting it through the roof and worrying condensation falling back down the pipe during the winter.
5wzg4x.jpg

The windows have been fitted with bead/drip
2dikpap.jpg

6zow8x.jpg

Associate
OP
The house has finally been rendered :) Very happy with the outcome, it will be completely watertight once the pointing has been completed tomorrow.

ieo514.jpg

2cz7trd.jpg

2i119oz.jpg

14u99uw.jpg

Stone cleaner, sealer and paint stripper:
o7ixdj.jpg

I want to wait around 4 weeks before I start painting to allow it time to dry out properly, I'm still debating whether to use a primer or not as the surface isn't very sandy/dusty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing that this project has been going for 3 years. Very ambitious work, really impressive.

Can I ask a few things. How has this affected your living situation? Where do you live currently? How are you financing this? Are you still working the day job and doing this on weekends and evenings?

Associate
OP
The pointing has been finished and I sealed the stone with Universeal Rain-Off 'a water based, technical synthetic resin emulsion' which is stain resistant, water repellent and prevents moss and algae growth.

14o5ef8.jpg

2enuubq.jpg

30ufev6.jpg

We ended up going with Dulux Weathershield Trade paint in Pale Slate which complimented the house nicely and wasn't too sickly as we had so much to cover. We used sheep skin rollers in a medium/long pile and watered down the first 2 coats 5:1 and the last coat 10:1 - the coverage and overall finish was perfect. It took us 4 days to complete...

55rvxl.jpg

dpihy0.jpg

24mrt34.jpg

abimhc.jpg

Associate
OP
Amazing that this project has been going for 3 years. Very ambitious work, really impressive.

Can I ask a few things. How has this affected your living situation? Where do you live currently? How are you financing this? Are you still working the day job and doing this on weekends and evenings?

I live about 10 minutes away with family at the moment, apart from missing my own space it's been fine. This thread would have been completely different if I had to live in the house whilst trying to renovate it and probably would have skimped on jobs to get it finished. Yes I work full time in IT (Project/Infrastructure Engineer) then I work on the house after work, weekends or during holidays - I recently took a few days off to paint the house whilst the weather was nice.

I finance this from my monthly salary, I don't like credit cards or loans as its far too easy to become reliant on them. I don't have a strict budget but I follow some basic rules:
  • Be aware of house values in the area.
  • Be aware of pitfalls of negative equity.
  • Don't become complacent with spending.
  • Have a contingency fund for emergencies.
I can't stress enough about the importance of a contingency fund as you don't know what's around the corner, I'm a good example of this :D I've had two new jobs since buying the house, dealing with vandalism and something I was reluctant to mention on here but I've actually been through a remortgage too! That's why I went quiet between Nov 2013 to Sept 2015...

I hope this helps and gives others reassurance if they are in a similar situation, everything works itself out eventually :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Roof Repairs

We had some damp in the main bedroom around the chimney/fireplace area, I suspected it was from the old chimney vent.

257f90o.jpg

2v0zfgo.jpg

I think we found the problem :p I'm surprised how we haven't had worse issues from this!
20uborp.jpg

1joh9h.jpg

5a2v6p.jpg

2v2timo.jpg

154aon4.jpg

i6e6c9.jpg

2m2gbrt.jpg

We replaced the perished felt with breathable membrane, repaired the dry verge the best we could (Marley don't make this verge anymore) and replaced some of the old tiles that were damaged or not cut into the verge properly. The damp spots have already started drying out :)

Associate
OP
The builder who rendered and pointed the house offered to replace the lead at the same time, but he decided to take shortcuts and cement over the small hip tiles with large ridge tiles! They looked out of place and wedged into the angled guttering... It bothered me every time I saw it!

qoszrn.jpg

2mcburq.jpg

New Guttering!

We recently dug up an old drain pipe that links to the sewer which will be ideal for the front gutter rain water (right now it pours down the steps instead). We've decided to replace the existing guttering and do it properly, I've gone for Floplast Half-round in white with 600mm centers and a fall of 10mm every 6 meters (as recommended).

1z1yz4o.jpg

5eb9m8.jpg

Associate
OP
Superb work!

Excellent work as always!

This thread, and the work you've done is fantastic!

Looking good there. Love the join between the stone and render, very crisp.

Thanks all,

We went with a well known renderer in the area and was very fussy on how we wanted it. We insisted on stainless steal drip beading so it will never go rusty, we had one drip at the roof line and one to follow the sloped path - The renderer weren't happy because he was pushing for a middle drip so that he had a half way mark to float (smooth) to and had to get another guy on the job.

He originally set the drip level but it looked so high to us and we want to run the gas pipe directly under, so changed it to go inline with the path.
w01g6f.jpg

Pictures of progress during the scratch coat and drip installs:
23w17qh.jpg

You can see how dirty the stone used to be in this picture!
5f423b.jpg

1zxmlig.jpg

esn38i.jpg

1grbz7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom