First VR headset

Soldato
Hmm i mean we are talking pixel counts higher than 1080p with all these headsets, so its hard to believe that any connection other than HDMI/DP direct to a good GPU is going to give monitor equivalent quality?

How do these visuals compare to looking at a sharp monitor image?

I watched a youtube video of assetto corsa and the guy was talking about how far away he could read the brake distance marker numbers on the track. With a monitor he could see them from hundreds of meters away and with a headset (can't recall which one), it was about 100m. However what i thought was, well how well could i see the distance markers when driving a real car in real life with my contact lenses in! Because the whole point of VR is realism and my eyes aren't pin sharp at hundreds of metres away in real life.

Rift and Index are direct connections to the PC so they will have a better image. The Quest is completely different its a standalone headset based on an Android device so doesnt need a PC. Where the PC does come in though it uses desktop software to "stream" the video/audio/controls to the Quest via WIFI (Virtual Desktop) or USB-C cable (Oculus Link) so think Google Stadia or any of the game streaming services you read about. The picture quality is not quite as good and depends on your WIFI being good. Obviously with a cable doesnt matter.

This will give you an idea this is the Quest Virtual Desktop v Oculus Link

Soldato
Hmm watched some videos. Its very difficult to tell what the real experience would be like in the quest vs rift s vs index, from a youtube video.

I'm drawn away from the index because of the external tracking and also the price.

But on paper it seems the quest is the better unit in several ways, compared to the rift s, even though it shouldn't be.

The quest:
  • is wireless (which reviews suggest works better than the link cable)
  • has better resolution than the rift S
  • has the hardware IPD adjustment

Is there a wireless option for the rift S?

My other question is why these are sold out everywhere? Its pretty niche isn't it? Why so much demand and if its more than the manufacturers expected then they've dropped the ball on this because there would have a been a big opportunity to create a killer headset and clear up.

Last edited:
Soldato
There only headsets that can do wireless currently are the Go (3DOF only) Quest, Vive, Vive Pro and HTC Cosmos.
There was a wireless add-on for the Rift CV1, but it's almost impossible to get hold of any more.

There are some disadvantages of the Quest over the Rift S: It's less comfortable (may require mods to make it comfortable), The OLED display is less sharp due to the sub-pixel arrangement (this is more noticable when watching movies), it's only 72hz, and the image quality via a link cable (which costs extra) is compressed so it's not as good as the Rift S.

The main advantage is it's wireless by design, and in that it's an amazing experience. But to do PC VR wireless requires an excellent 5ghz connection, and the sideloading (and purchase) of additional software.

These headsets are sold out for several reasons:
Oculus was having supply issues anyway due to high demand (but this was mainly the Quest).
HL: Alyx drove demand for all headsets higher.
Then the virus hit which caused problems in both manufacture and distribution on top of existing supply issues, causing even shorter supply.
Then scalpers jumped onto the bandwagon and started buying up limited stocks for resale on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace at hugely inflated prices.

Soldato
Hmm watched some videos. Its very difficult to tell what the real experience would be like in the quest vs rift s vs index, from a youtube video.

I'm drawn away from the index because of the external tracking and also the price.

But on paper it seems the quest is the better unit in several ways, compared to the rift s, even though it shouldn't be.

The quest:

My other question is why these are sold out everywhere? Its pretty niche isn't it? Why so much demand and if its more than the manufacturers expected then they've dropped the ball on this because there would have a been a big opportunity to create a killer headset and clear up.

You can't experience VR from watching videos.

Don't over complicate things. Oculus have two headsets, one was designed for use without a PC (The Quest) and one was designed for PCVR (The Rift S)

If you mainly play VR in the same space on PC games, then the Rift S is the better option.

If you want the freedom to play anywhere, and occasionally play on PC, get the Quest. You will be limited to games that you have installed on the Quest if you go outside the range of your Wifi.

Don't get hung up on the resolution. The figures don't tell the whole story. The Rift S is much clearer and doesn't suffer from Godrays. While the Quest has better blacks.

Comfort: The Rift S is more comfortable for most people. You can make the quest more comfortable if you spend some money.

IPD: If your IPD is not between 60 and 70 then the Rift S is probably not going to work for you.

Does the Rift S have a wireless option? Nope and it won't ever have. But, you can use a cable management system to suspend the cable from the ceiling. This is what I have. The kit only costs like £20. I have complete freedom in my play area to turn, twist, duck and dodge and never get tangled in the cable.

Why is there no stock? Surge in demand because of Half Life Alyx, combined with the arrival of the Corona Virus.

Soldato
Anyone wear contacts here? How does it work with VR? Im short sighted so cant see distance well, but with the screen only a couple of inches from your face do you still have to wear your vision correction?

Associate
Anyone wear contacts here? How does it work with VR? Im short sighted so cant see distance well, but with the screen only a couple of inches from your face do you still have to wear your vision correction?

I don't understand the technicalities behind it but due to the lenses in the headsets it's not really like being up close to a screen. You'd think it would be but it isn't. If I were to get extremely close to my monitor things get blurry.

I wear contacts, my prescription is -1.25 & -1.75 and I have no problems in VR. In fact it's like real life for me, if i bring things right up close to my face they get blurry. But distant is sharp with contacts in, well as sharp as VR can be.

I'm using an original Rift CV1

Associate
Im -4.00 so quite strong compared to yourself. Anyone have a similarly strong prescription and use VR?
Yes -3.75 here contacts are fine. I invested in some lenses for the index whuch make things a bit easier.

It always fascinated me that you still need corrective vision despite screen being 10mm from face

Soldato

These headsets are sold out for several reasons:
Oculus was having supply issues anyway due to high demand (but this was mainly the Quest).
HL: Alyx drove demand for all headsets higher.
Then the virus hit which caused problems in both manufacture and distribution on top of existing supply issues, causing even shorter supply.
Then scalpers jumped onto the bandwagon and started buying up limited stocks for resale on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace at hugely inflated prices.

Why is there no stock? Surge in demand because of Half Life Alyx, combined with the arrival of the Corona Virus.

Quest is out of stock simply because of Christmas. It sold massively and in January you were looking at March for stock. The virus hit and no way can they catch up.

Soldato

The quest:

I was in the same place as you recently, my first VR headset, did a bit of research and basically came to the same conclusion as the comments from @melmac.

I wanted to play mine near my PC and get the best quality I could out of it, so I went for the Rift S. Don't regret it at all, great bit of kit so far.

You'll need at least a 1M * 1M area to play in though, and 2M * 2M is recommended if you can stretch to that. My PC is temporarily in my lounge due to the corona thing so I am playing in a 1.5M * 1.5M area and it's fine.

The cable means that true 360 degrees activity is slightly annoying, but I find most things actually play just fine using the 180 degrees or so directly in front of you. One side benefit I find of the cable is I can orient myself in the room a bit better because I know what direction the cable is coming from.

I'd have liked the Index but it was more than double the cost of the Rift S, still had some drawbacks, and had an 8 week lead time for delivery. The Quest looked interesting but I don't think I'd use it's mobility much, hence went for the Rift S.

Soldato
Its a 5m cable right? Practically how far does that allow you to be away from your pc, given that I guess you can't run it taught?

I have a nice square 2m x 2m area available in my living room but that area's corner is 2m away from the back of my PC in a straight line.

Soldato
May be OK, I assume there does exist either an extension or a longer cable (unplugging from headset end is harder than at the PC end). I am a good 2 metres away from the PC I reckon.

Also you will be reasonably in the centre of the play area most of the time, I don't think you would need to get your head into the furthest away corner, it's more to give your arms room to swing.

I actually play with my play area facing away from my PC as that's where the cable is coming from anyway.

Soldato
I don't think 5m gives a great deal of leeway on the face of it.

2m from back of PC to corner of play area.
The centre of the 2x2 play area would be a further 1.4m on the diagonal.
Then I am 1.8m tall so cable has to come up from ground by that amount.

Assuming a vertically dangling and loose cable is preferred rather than one stretched taught off the ground, then that total is already 5.2m.

With a floor straight line distance into the far corner of my play area, and my height of 1.8m, that gives a triangle of base 4.8m, side 1.8m and therefore a perfectly taught length of 5.1m.

Feels a bit borderline.

How far can you extend Displayport cables without affecting quality?

Soldato
My current setup is kind of temporary, but I have my PC behind a desk, the cables run from the back of the PC, then over the desk (70CM high), then they run up to my head from there.

It's approx a metre from the back of the PC to the desk, then about 2M more to where my head would reasonably be at all times, so I am not stretching the limits of the cable and could go a fair distance further.

Perhaps a pic of your setup and people here can chime in if it would work or not?

Soldato
I see, looks like it would work, even better if the pc was on the left next to the piano instead of the corner.

An idea: get a 5m long bit of string and check how the length is when tied to something at the back of the pc.

Associate
I don't think 5m gives a great deal of leeway on the face of it.
It depends on the headset. The HTC headsets come with a link box which you can position at the edge of your play area, and the Valve Index comes with a 1m breakaway connector. This means they don't waste the 5m cable length by going round to the back of your PC.

With the Vive link box, you can use longer cables between the PC and the link box to get it where you want. 5m then becomes more than enough.

Soldato
It depends on the headset. The HTC headsets come with a link box which you can position at the edge of your play area, and the Valve Index comes with a 1m breakaway connector. This means they don't waste the 5m cable length by going round to the back of your PC.

With the Vive link box, you can use longer cables between the PC and the link box to get it where you want. 5m then becomes more than enough.

If I buy one its going to be the rift s though. Is the vive link box or index breakaway connector a generic extender or is it specific to that device?

Back
Top Bottom