***Food TV THREAD***

Soldato
so you need a sky subscription with Watch to see this, watched one from the previous series, you will have to explain what makes it better
pros : no Greg Wallace (he is just about tolerable on the reasonably educational - food factories)
: novelty of Aussie locations / travalog
: maybe more various menu/dish scenarios

cons: alternative comperes Matt Preston worse than Greg(Jay Rayner name any UK pratt) waxing lyrical trying to fill in the time with verbal diarrhea - he is another restaurant critic a UK emigrant (we do make them)
: need to get the Aussie lingo
: frenetic music continuouisly accompanying it (better or worse than Zimmerlands score accompanying Dunkirk ?)
: more time spent exposing the vacuous 'personalities' of the competitors - reality tv at its best.

not convinced I am learning more about cooking - so what gives ?

other TV stuff
Mary Berry announced as judging a new BBC cooking programme (will they put it up against C4BO)
BBC obviously spending our money on the likes of Nadia, not very imaginative - Summer is a desert for good cooking shows.

Man of Honour
OP
The three of them work so much better than the English people, that is not a con.
They don't go down the fake mean route like the UK version. You see more behind the scenes which shows their progress better.
All in all it is so much better, to the point I haven't watched the UK version in years.

Soldato
Because of the format, 5 episodes a week, Mystery Box and Invention Test - Elimination Challenge - Immunity Challenge (or equivalent) - Team Challenge - Elimination Pressure Test over 12 weeks or so you actually can get to know the contestants and see their progression, and understand the progression, especially when you see what they do in the final compared to the first few episodes.

If you compare it to say the US version, the contestants on their are always having digs at each other and trying to get them out, whereas in the Aussie one whilst they all obviously want to win they genuinely seem to want to see the others do well too.

Gary and George are great (George especially when a contestant gets a bit teary), yes Matt can be a bit annoying but he has mellowed out since the first couple of seasons. I also like the fact that they have theme weeks, where they have say Rick Stein or Heston or Darren Purchese or equivalent come in for an episode or a whole week to mentor/judge and then Shannon Bennett regularly in as a mentor as though they really do want the contestants to be as good as they can be.

And then some of the things they cook or have to cook (pressure tests) are often amazing (the finale dish this year is pretty impressive), and all seem completely impossible to be made by an amateur.

Soldato
Ok you are right - sign me up for Masterchef Australia.

The BBC just started advertising episodes of this

Presenters and judges revealed for BBC Two’s Big Family Cooking Showdown

Patrick Holland says: “The Big Family Cooking Showdown promises to be a wonderfully big-hearted show celebrating the importance of food in family life. I am delighted that Zoe, Nadiya, Giorgio and Rosemary will be our hosts and judges for this great new competition format.”
The Big Family Cooking Showdown was previously announced under the working title The Big Family Cooking Challenge and is in now in production due to air in autumn 2017 and will be produced by London based independent production company Voltage TV. It was commissioned by Channel Controller, BBC Two, Patrick Holland and will be executive produced for the BBC by commissioning executive Catherine Catton. It will be executive produced by Voltage Chief Executive Sanjay Singhal and Kathleen Larkin.

bring back Alan Yentov ?

Soldato
intersting podcast for the commute, did you know what Orthorexia is ?

apparently 950,000 uk people with an eating disorder and there is correlation between them and Instagram users.
Lisen to "James Duigan is the man behind 'Bodyism'" talking about manshakes : lol :

Dishing The Dirt on Clean Eating

We'll meet Dr Judy Swift who has been studying the link between social media and Orthorexia: eating disorders brought on by obsessing about eating certain foods.

But is Anthony's anger justified? James Duigan is the man behind 'Bodyism'. He's developed a plan of eating healthily whilst exercising regularly, but encourages detox plans. But what exactly is wrong with wanting to exercise and make yourself feel better? ....

Man of Honour
OP
on the chip episode and its infuriating, how many fail to make a chip and why on earth would you even attempt to do oven cooked chips. I know its home week, but oven cooked its a 1000X worse than deep fried.
and not one person used beef dripping, which with their massive pantry I assume has it in there.
However generally their quality is ridiculous, minus the usual fail to listen to requirements/judges and nervous getting the better of them.

Associate
Debatable. You might not have said specifically who goes or who does what, but you've said what's happening in the episode and what people don't do.

Man of Honour
OP
Debatable. You might not have said specifically who goes or who does what, but you've said what's happening in the episode and what people don't do.
lol, all you know is no one uses beef dripping that's it, and oh know you now what part of the episode is about, something which is covered in there coming up segments.

Associate
There's no upcoming segment on the UK broadcast for what it's worth.

I don't particularly care about chips or what cooking method people used, but there's a rule about not discussing things that haven't been aired in the UK so I was trying to give you a heads up because who knows what you could end up saying about future episodes without realising. Carry on though.

Back
Top Bottom