***Food TV THREAD***

Soldato
You've not missed much, the format is now very tired and most of the cooking rather dull.

Australian Masterchef last night was tedious, we gave up about 45 minutes in. Maybe it'll be more interesting when they aren't wetting their pants over someone being able to make gnocci.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Diners, Drive ins and Dives, I have been lucky enough to get to eat in a few of the places in LA with work, and I have to say they are very good. The Ethiopian diner was stunning, it really does put our overpriced change restaurant no variety culture to shame :)

On the flip side Pioneer woman, I just want to nuke their entire homestead from Orbit :)

Soldato
Yes have to agree on DDD, otherwise the R4 food programme (recent pie episode).
just saw there is a french version of best british bakery, that unfurtunately ended, so will try that out https://youtu.be/x1H4lUgz9Jc?t=1275

they restarted Bake off professional this week, continues with stupid reality tv presenters like GBBO/masterchef franchise,
I want to know about the ingrediant/prep/cooking, the americans have it right.

Proliferation of these bbc/itv tv programmes giving publicity/legitimacy for these utube diet fads too - junk - does the BBC get a back-hander.

Soldato
I was disappointed by the AU non-pro masterchef .. the final - making artificial fruit chocolates just seemed way over the top trying to present a dramatic,
reality tv experience ( colliseum type battle of confrontation) with the over exuberence of the presenters .. and - it was such an esoteric skill
where one of the competitors could have had previous exposure giving a significant edge ... but maybe masterchef will be better.

Diners, Drive ins and Dives,
where are you getting your dose of this now ? uk foodnetwork seems full of repeats ...
also I have not found an alternative show I enjoy as much ... Paul Hollywoods city bakes was the last memorable series.

taB

taB

Associate
A mate was on Masterchef Pros last night and cooked the best dish of the episode. Fingers crossed he does well tonight.

taB

taB

Associate
He went out last night (got through first half but not 2nd) which was a shame but was a cracking effort to get to the last 16 from 2000 applicants. Have him booked to come to ours and cook for the Mrs' 40th next month.

Soldato
Definitely some luck component, on the tests + ingredient rounds, whether they have encountered them before ...
and the elaborate ingredient menus they create, often seem inconsistant with their skill test capabilities, maybe that's nerves/pressure on the latter.

would like to know how long they have to prepare the ingredient menu, and mull over the auxiliary ingredients .. is it 5 minutes, or 50 ?

Soldato
never seen an expose on the exceedingly good cakes factory - 5select 10pm
but maybe their golden age is past ... what do millenials/genx have ?

edit : no warning before the programme, but has a spoiler about Mr kiplingfather christmas

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched all 21 episodes of MC Professionals over the last 7 weeks and saw the grand final tonight. I won't say the winner in case anyone is going to watch on catchup. Great series though. Some unbelievable cookery, I just don't know how they do it, such complexity.

Also watched a couple of fascinating Heston programmes tonight, one which was turning the Fat Duck back to 2001, using his original menus, reverting his kitchen and dining room to how it was and inviting a bunch of celebrity guests. From what I could tell he popularised sous vide machines but I'm not sure about that.

Soldato
for the MC stuff, at least that is new ... otherwise the bbc and other channels often deceivingly re-show old stuff ...
ok - seems the heston noughties programme, i rejected, during a quick flip, was new, but he seemed to be doing the same molecular cookery/obscure ingrediants, as before.

but - on the other channel .. the making of mr kiplings battenberg + french fancies

Soldato
Is it TV if it's YouTube? Well, we've been doing some cooking stuff at home and sharing it on our channel, so you can see our ramen fried chicken here! Interesting experiment and we're going to do it again but make some adjustments for sure!

Got another one coming up I'm uploading at the mo, it's a realllly nice beef and ale stew with bacon dumplings! Mmmmm

Soldato
Forgot to cancel the free nowtv subscription before it renewed ... found something worthwhile, to watch

The pizza show

At least so far this has educated me on Chicago style ... can you actually get one in the UK ?
but, like DDD, it reconfirms the food diversity and quality they have in the USA versus uk.

... if I see another stupid UK diet programme, with these contrived/tailored diets.

Back
Top Bottom