Football and the Coronavirus

Caporegime
Yea, there appears to be very little logic to it. You do have to remember that these games have been flagged up by local police forces so a force in one area might be more laid back than forces in other areas. What I don't understand is why Man Utd vs Sheffield Utd any more of a risk than Man Utd vs West Ham or Man City vs Newcastle a greater risk than Man City vs Arsenal.

I am surprised Spurs United is not high risk either? London is a crammed hole as is so I would have thought all London games would be high risk anyway.

Associate
Yea, there appears to be very little logic to it. You do have to remember that these games have been flagged up by local police forces so a force in one area might be more laid back than forces in other areas. What I don't understand is why Man Utd vs Sheffield Utd any more of a risk than Man Utd vs West Ham or Man City vs Newcastle a greater risk than Man City vs Arsenal.

If it's down to the local police then I am shocked that the SYP (literally the worst police force in the world when it comes to organising sporting events) haven't forced Sheffield United to play all four home games at neutral locations. They'd have all football matches in the region played behind closed doors (at undisclosed locations) if they could get away with it, COVID-19 or no COVID-19.

Don
I am surprised Spurs United is not high risk either? London is a crammed hole as is so I would have thought all London games would be high risk anyway.
At least the police in London have been consistent in, as yet, not objecting to home matches being played in London. It's the lack of consistency in other areas that I don't understand. I've seen one journalist state that the reason for the Utd - Sheffield Utd game being classed as high risk is because of previous clashes between supporters and maybe that's the case with City - Newcastle and Newcastle - Liverpool too. I'd still question the logic of moving the game to a neutral venue though. If police are sufficiently worried that Man Utd & Sheffield Utd supporters will travel to Old Trafford to cause trouble, what difference would there be in holding the game in Blackburn or Bolton?

edit: Anyway the PL have announced that they still hope to hold all games in home stadiums but are still working with police on this and contingency plans are being made.

Soldato
At least the police in London have been consistent in, as yet, not objecting to home matches being played in London. It's the lack of consistency in other areas that I don't understand. I've seen one journalist state that the reason for the Utd - Sheffield Utd game being classed as high risk is because of a previous clashes between supporters and maybe that's the case with City - Newcastle and Newcastle - Liverpool too. I'd still question the logic of moving the game to a neutral venue though. If police are sufficiently worried that Man Utd & Sheffield Utd supporters will travel to Old Trafford to cause trouble, what difference would there be in holding the game in Blackburn or Bolton?

edit: Anyway the PL have announced that they still hope to hold all games in home stadiums but are still working with police on this and contingency plans are being made.
TBF mate I have been going to Newcastle home games since the late 80s and I can say I haven’t see any clashes between Newcastle and Liverpool supporters, you got the odd idiot from both teams but never clashes.

Man of Honour
With the games being behind closed doors I'm not really sure why neutral venues are deemed that important, I suppose they want to avoid throngs of fans outside the grounds trying to make themselves heard or something, but to me as a fan I'd want to be in front of a TV not out in the streets (I suppose you can stream to mobile devices these days but...)
Agree with above comments, surely the biggest risk has to be from derby matches like Arsenal-Spurs where rival fans can easily travel to the same vicinity.

It's weird, I've not really missed football but now it is on the horizon again I'm a bit excited. Honestly didn't think it would happen due to the risks of games having to be moved about when players come down with Covid-19 in the build up - bearing in mind from Monday they'll all be having BBQs, ladies coming in their private gardens (as it were) etc.

Don
It looks like the games being flagged as high risk aren't coming from local police forces. Merseyside police have said that they would have no objections for all Liverpool and Everton home games to be played at home stadiums. This makes the original decision to flag these particular 6 games even more confusing. Who on earth has decided that Man City - Newcastle is high risk but West Ham - Chelsea, which has had a history of fan trouble, to be ok?

Soldato
It looks like the games being flagged as high risk aren't coming from local police forces. Merseyside police have said that they would have no objections for all Liverpool and Everton home games to be played at home stadiums. This makes the original decision to flag these particular 6 games even more confusing. Who on earth has decided that Man City - Newcastle is high risk but West Ham - Chelsea, which has had a history of fan trouble, to be ok?
Because were northerners mate and not very bright and will turn up and try to watch games, is probably the thinking behind it. :p:p:p

Soldato
Not really sure I want to see the daily death totals then watch a game of football. If we start playing again when people are dying I'll be done with football, the international games have already been ruined with the Qatar World Cup, meh :/

Man of Honour
Not really sure I want to see the daily death totals then watch a game of football. If we start playing again when people are dying I'll be done with football, the international games have already been ruined with the Qatar World Cup, meh :/

Given the enormous number of people who see the daily death totals and then nip off down the beach and park to enjoy the glorious sunshine with thousands of other people, I'd say at this point the whole concept of lockdown has gone out of the window anyway. I said this would happen, if the virus had come in the depths of winter, when the weather outside was bleak, rainy and crap, people would have had no troubles with adhering to lockdown rules. I wont even begin to go down the road of discussing what percentage of those people sat on the beaches and parks this weekend will on Monday declare that they cant go back to work because of Coronavirus fears.

Caporegime
Given the enormous number of people who see the daily death totals and then nip off down the beach and park to enjoy the glorious sunshine with thousands of other people, I'd say at this point the whole concept of lockdown has gone out of the window anyway. I said this would happen, if the virus had come in the depths of winter, when the weather outside was bleak, rainy and crap, people would have had no troubles with adhering to lockdown rules. I wont even begin to go down the road of discussing what percentage of those people sat on the beaches and parks this weekend will on Monday declare that they cant go back to work because of Coronavirus fears.

I think a large percentage of it is because of what happened to that politician. No one is going to listen as he got away with it. My work commute is basically back to normal now.

Man of Honour
I think a large percentage of it is because of what happened to that politician. No one is going to listen as he got away with it. My work commute is basically back to normal now.

I think thats definitely accelerated it but I think it was happening before that too. I remember commenting several weeks back that I had seen a sudden increase in the amount of traffic and people out. For quite a few people this whole thing has just been one extended holiday.

Don
Yea, the Cummings stuff has made it worse but you only have to look at the VE day street parties and the 1000s of people going to the beach to see that our lockdown never was a real lockdown. No doubt a handful of supporters turning up outside a football stadium will be reported on very differently to those middle class folk doing congas on VE day though.

Soldato
Yea, the Cummings stuff has made it worse but you only have to look at the VE day street parties and the 1000s of people going to the beach to see that our lockdown never was a real lockdown. No doubt a handful of supporters turning up outside a football stadium will be reported on very differently to those middle class folk doing congas on VE day though.
Too many people still have the “it’s just a flu bro” attitude, a second spike is now almost a certainty. Your right thought nothing much is made of the people going to beaches and parks but as soon as a few fans turn up at a few stadiums when it restarts they will be treated like brain dead football hooligans.

Man of Honour
Too many people still have the “it’s just a flu bro” attitude, a second spike is now almost a certainty.

I REALLY do hope there is, and a bad one at that. I'm a pretty strict disciplinarian in RL and firmly believe that there MUST be repercussions and punishments for someone not being able to follow rules. In some ways I'd actually be pretty sad if there isnt a significant second spike due to some peoples actions and this all just blows over.

Man of Honour
OP
Indeed, a very strange comment really as many people who contract the virus and sadly die won't necessarily have done anything wrong.

Man of Honour
Just dont really like people who break rules and laws etc to get away with it. As I say, I'm a very strict disciplinarian and believe in punishing those who cant adhere to rules. To be entirely honest with you, and something I've mentioned many times on these forums, the world could do with a culling. Theres far too many humans on it, so I'd be ok with it, but thats a philosophical conversation for a non-sports forum really so I wont swamp the football area overly with it.

Back
Top Bottom