For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at a point a few feet in front of me. It's to help keep my back straight and locked out. Looking up or straight isn't good for your form.

Wardie - I do 1 week a month at high reps i.e. 15x3, and you're right it's the discipline of just carrying on past the burn. It hurts and you look at the weights and you think to yourself... this is pathetic! But it's a lot harder than it looks!

I think it's a pretty smart thing to do. Although you'll get the most out of training your fast twitch fibres using reps lower than 15, it's worth training the slower ones every so often :D

BOR, look a little bit infront but keep my head inline with my back. If you're looking upwards you're going to be misaligned.

Nice work Wardie :)

I'm reaching the limits of my DBs at my gym, but I'm just concentrating on slow precise movements, locking out my core and not doing any cheating movements. That'll buy me some time I reckon. Our max DBs are 40kg.

Same here, whilst I'm in England. Well I have pretty much reached the limits when on strength training. DB's only go up to 50kg, and they also have 2 bench machines and 1 squat rack, does my head in - as you know some bicep monkey will be using the squat rack to perform his 'bicepz curlz'

Same here, whilst I'm in England. Well I have pretty much reached the limits when on strength training. DB's only go up to 50kg, and they also have 2 bench machines and 1 squat rack, does my head in - as you know some bicep monkey will be using the squat rack to perform his 'bicepz curlz'

You should tell them to **** off. Nothing annoys me more then people hogging squat racks for things other then squats.

That and using powerclean bars for curls. THEY ARE MEANT FOR CLEANING.

I think it's a pretty smart thing to do. Although you'll get the most out of training your fast twitch fibres using reps lower than 15, it's worth training the slower ones every so often :D

BOR, look a little bit infront but keep my head inline with my back. If you're looking upwards you're going to be misaligned.

Agreed on both counts. :)

As long as your back isn't rounding it shouldnt be a problem really, though it does depend a little on the angle of your back. If you are doing pendlay style then its easier to keep head in line, if you are doing more yates style then the arch in back is easier to keep than a straight back.

Lets talk Overhead Squat:

What am i doing wrong? :confused: I can easily ATG front and back squats but overhead my kness buckle inwards and ankle roll slightly. I'm thinking a lack of rearward flexibility in my shoulders is preventing my back coming forward to keep the weight in line with my feet. Currently trying to get the form with an empty bar but its tough! Been working on ham, hip and back flexibility (which has improved massively, relatively speaking ;)), do I need to work on shoulder ROM too?

Any tips?

Nothing wrong with single leg strength, especially useful if you're involved in sports and for keeping balance across the legs.

Foot firmly planted, lift other leg of floor then squat down and puit the raised leg straight out infront of me, then back up.

No doubt I couldn't do this if I actually weighed something :D

its something i was working on before injuring my toe.
aiming (as mentioned previously) for 50 body weight squats with no pauses then moving onto single legged.

i wonder if there is a calculation for how much weight you need to squat normal to be able to squat single legged!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom