For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP PLEASE!!

Guys - really bad news for me and need a little help :(

Need a little help. Just got back from the docs to find out I have a minor hernia which requires surgery. Now, the doc himself used to be a lifter and said I can still gym in the meantime but need to avoid any major stress on this area - at the most for legs he recommended light machine leg extensions/curls.

Obviously my favourite exercises - power cleans, deadlifts, squats etc are all ruled out :(

Little down - I know its nothing major - but training has been really good recently.

Can anyone recommend me a decent upper body program to do in the meantime? Just about to call my health insurance and see how quickly I can get something done.

* I'm talking in terms of split - how about something like:

Chest / Biceps
Back
Shoulders / Triceps

or even

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Biceps / Triceps

Last edited:
Friday:

Back Squats (no belt, to parallel or just below not ATG):

12x60kg
12x100kg
8x130kg
5x150kg
5x170kg
5x170kg
8x130kg
10x100kg

Front Squats (very much ATG):

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x90kg
6x100kg

Peterson Step-ups:

8x25kg DBs
8x30kg DBs
6x40kg DBs
6x40kg DBs

Standing Calf Raises (machine):

Stack (115kg)
4x12reps

CGBP:

12x50kg
10x60kg
10x70kg
8x80kg

Single arm cable pull down:

5x8x35kg

Superset single arm tricep extension:

5x5x15kg

Skull crushers:

10x27.5kg
3x8x37.5kg

Pretty happy with session today, played with leg position on squats close together, wider apart etc... just to get a feel - you really do feel a different involvement of muscle groups in the legs but I'm not sure which I felt more comfortable/strong with.... Closer together I felt I couldn't go as deep, and unless I concentrated the heels would come up when going deep.

Arms felt strong today, but no spotter to push up the weights on CGBP but with 4 exercises on triceps within seconds of one another it was probably a good thing!

It's going to take a lot of work before I reach similar levels to you guys, then I can start posting my workouts here :p

I don't seem to be making much progress at the moment as I'm cutting, is more difficult than I thought :o

this isnt a competition mate, your lifts are good as long as its intensive enough for you :]
feel free to post your log up, its good for seeing how you progress, which is all that matters :]

Indeed. Remember some of us have been doing it a while, and we all have to start somewhere! :) Don't be shy - heck if I can post pics of my hairy lump of a body, you can bloody well post a training log! I would kick your arse but after my squat session I'm dead! :D

As already said, there is so much affecting how much you can lift that it's only really relevent to yourself.

If you don't want to post actual weights (and hence not be logged) post your work outs with gains made on lifts instead, at least you will see progress on paper :).

FF you do all those squats in one session? that is a crazy amount of reps :s

I'm a big fan of high volume. Unless I cane it I feel I get very little development - besides my working sets are from 120 really as 60 and 100 are more like warmups really. Plus I love squats and leg days! :D I balance volume and intensity carefully... i.e. longer sessions with high volume. Or lots of exercises and very short breaks and lots of supersets.

Saturday:

Triple superset:

Wide grip Chins:

6xBW
8xBW
8XBW
6xBW
6xBW

(no dipping belt so just had to stick to BW)

Bent over cable pull downs:

5x10xstack

BORs (suppinated grip ,no belt):

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x100kg
8x100kg
10x60kg

Single Arm DB Rows:

4x8x40kg

Supersetted with pronated BORs:

4x8x60kg

V-grip pull downs:

8x100kg
10x60kg
8x90kg
10x70kg

Huuuuge pump today, was very strict on form and very short breaks today and session lasted 45mins so intensity was quite high. Feel great!

Saturday:

Triple superset:

Wide grip Chins:

6xBW
8xBW
8XBW
6xBW
6xBW

(no dipping belt so just had to stick to BW)

Bent over cable pull downs:

5x10xstack

BORs (suppinated grip ,no belt):

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x100kg
8x100kg
10x60kg

Single Arm DB Rows:

4x8x40kg

Supersetted with pronated BORs:

4x8x60kg

V-grip pull downs:

8x100kg
10x60kg
8x90kg
10x70kg

Huuuuge pump today, was very strict on form and very short breaks today and session lasted 45mins so intensity was quite high. Feel great!

Looks like a good set of exercises to put together. FF if you get time....post your weekly training schedule of exercises...Im needing a new routine:D

Felt like I had a good workout today - love working back :D

Lat Pull Downs - few sets of warm ups
3 x 10 285lbs

DB Single Rows
2 x 10 100lbs

BOR - few warm ups
3 x 8 220lbs

Dead lifts - warm up sets
3 x 6 400lbs

Close Grip T-bar rows
3 x 8 175lbs

Seated Rows
3 x 10 230lbs

Hyper extensions
3 x 10 50lbs

Slowly starting to up the weight again which is cool - although think I might need some straps for DL's soon as my grip was slipping a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom