For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to work out a good bulking diet for me at the moment , planning it all on a spreadsheet but am a bit unsure as to what the split between protein/fat/carbs should be?

I currently weigh around 180 lbs - so I should be consuming around 3240 kcal / day - here is what I've come up with so far :

Breakfast (7:30 AM) : 2 x Wholemeal Bread, 150g Turkey (383 kcal/52g Protein/4.4g Fat/32.3g Carbs)
Morning (10:30 AM) : Omlette/Scrambled Eggs (6 whites, 1 yolk) 2 x Wholemeal Bread (345 kcal/32.4g Protein/6.85g Fat/34.1g Carbs)
Lunch (1:30 PM) : 100g Wholewheat Pasta/1 Tin Tuna (557 kcal/47.73g Protein/14g Fat/65g Carbs)
Late Afternoon (4:30 PM) Shake : 50g Oats, 30g Whey, 200ml Milk Semi Skimmed (444 kcal/35.7g Protein/9.3g Fat/41.1g Carbs)
Workout (depending on day)
Post workout shake (7:30 - 8:00 PM) 30g Whey, 30g WMS (274 kcal /23.6g Protein/0G Fat/27.3g Carbs)
Dinner (+1 hour after PWO Shake) 500g Chicken Breast + vegs (580 kcal/109g Protein/16g Fat/0g Carbs)

Then sleep :)

This gives me the following total :

2603 kcal / 300g Protein / 52.15g Fat / 200g Carbs

I know that leaves me short around 600 calories - should I be getting those 600 calories from Fat or Carbs? I think protein is plentiful if not too much (going by the 1.5g / bodyweight lbs) would be easy to make these up in fats with 100g of nuts.

Would throw in 100g blueberries or an orange with breakfast.

Seems to be a large gap between afternoon and your PWO shake - consider moving some of the carbs from lunch and protein from dinner to a small protein/fat meal in afternoon and bringing your shake to within 45m/hour of your workout.

Suggest your dinner on workout days should contain some more carbs +fruit instead of protein/fats.

Throwing in some fats instead of carbs on non-workout days might also be beneficial (olive oil/nuts/fish).

Last edited:
Would throw in 100g blueberries or an orange with breakfast.

Seems to be a large gap between afternoon and your PWO shake - consider moving some of the carbs from lunch and protein from dinner to a small protein/fat meal in afternoon and bringing your shake to within 45m/hour of your workout.

Suggest your dinner on workout days should contain some more carbs +fruit instead of protein/fats.

Throwing in some fats instead of carbs on non-workout days might also be beneficial (olive oil/nuts/fish).

Thanks for the comments

I do eat fruit throughout the day but didn't list / plan any of those as its usually varied.

My workout would be around 7:00 PM , the PWO shake would be taken immediately afterwards - I could have something small to eat just before workout.

Will also try and make some sort of plan for non workout days , need to get down to the supermarket tomorrow to stock up :)

Interesting article re: back squats/front squats:

http://www.esnpro.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3161

Really frustrated as I added front squats to my leg day, should have been my fourth week doing them last week and then found out I have a sodding hernia.

They are definitely intense though and the grip takes some mastering. Can't wait to get back into them, the burn in the quads is really insane.

I find up to 100kg they're easy enough grip wise, I use cross-armed, but should try the clean grip and see how I fair with them. After 100kg it starts to get a bit tricky. Front squats are so much easier to do ATG though.

Guys - really bad news for me and need a little help :(

Need a little help. Just got back from the docs to find out I have a minor hernia which requires surgery. Now, the doc himself used to be a lifter and said I can still gym in the meantime but need to avoid any major stress on this area - at the most for legs he recommended light machine leg extensions/curls.

Obviously my favourite exercises - power cleans, deadlifts, squats etc are all ruled out :(

Little down - I know its nothing major - but training has been really good recently.

Can anyone recommend me a decent upper body program to do in the meantime? Just about to call my health insurance and see how quickly I can get something done.

* I'm talking in terms of split - how about something like:

Chest / Biceps
Back
Shoulders / Triceps

or even

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Biceps / Triceps

Sorry to hear about that but it doesn't sound too serious, I hope it's sorted quickly :)

Personally I would take advantage or some frequency and do a full body workout three times a week.

I find up to 100kg they're easy enough grip wise, I use cross-armed, but should try the clean grip and see how I fair with them. After 100kg it starts to get a bit tricky. Front squats are so much easier to do ATG though.

I prefer clean grip to cross arm but it does put a little strain on the wrists I find.

Sorry to hear about that but it doesn't sound too serious, I hope it's sorted quickly :)

Personally I would take advantage or some frequency and do a full body workout three times a week.

Now my company have sorted out the healthcare issue I would hope to have it all done ASAP, will find out dates tomorrow.

Could have a go with full body three times a week. Theres some interesting looking hst programs knocking about. Will look more into it, cheers :cool:

I'm starting to really enjoy the gym again, 3 weeks in to the settling in phase after a long lay off and really gone back to basics. I'm lifting light weights but still feeling the burn. I'm concentrating on form instead of throwing the weights and if I can manage it try to lift slowly to concentrate on the muscle group I'm working.

It's slightly annoying when you have a gym partner who is nearly a foot smaller than you and is lifting 3x the weight I'm on, but I'm sure I'll catch up soon enough. Is it fair to say that the smaller you are the easier it is to lift a certain weight as the range of movement is smaller, the muscles are smaller too - by smaller I mean the length of the muscle from relaxed to contracted. Take the bicep for example on a simple bicep curl.

Do any of you guys have a blog outside of these forums? Any decent ones that I would be able to use my iPhone with? I've recently been using livestrong.com application which is free at the moment, it's very good for calorific, fat and protein contents of foods if you need to keep track of what you are eating.

yeh I'm not suprised, when I saw your push press efforts I was thinking "man that guys delts must be as thin as pancakes" :p :p

:D

Ok, maybe that was a bit of a silly comment, but I think what I meant to say was it's a combination of technique and just getting the bar nicely settled on the shoulders. :)

I need to update some pics soon as I've put on a good 6lbs since the last ones.

Monday:

Flat BB Bench:

12x60kg
10x80kg
6x100kg
6x100kg
5x100kg
5x100kg
5x100kg

Didn't have a spotter so just had to do sensible weights and just do volume instead!

Incline DB Bench:

8x25kg
8x30kg
6x40kg
6x40kg
6x35kg
10x25kg

Incline Flies:

10x16kg
8x17.5kg
8x19kg
6x21kg
8x17.5kg

Cable cross over:

10x20kg
10x25kg
8x30kg
8x35kg
6x40kg
10x20kg

Single arm cable curls using cross over machine (arms straight out, and curl with knuckles touching temples):

10x20kg
8x25kg
6x30kg
5x35kg
0x40kg
8x20kg

supersetted with DB hammer curls:

8x16kg
8x16kg
10x16kg
12x16kg
5x16kg

Felt tired and unmotivated today... lots of trouble with landlord and so on has got me distracted couldn't focus... so not the best session I've ever had! Ah well - good enough I guess.

Turns out my Adams Multivitamins are too big and I keep choking on them.

Is it ok to mash them down to powder and throw them in my shake when I need ?

Turns out my Adams Multivitamins are too big and I keep choking on them.

Is it ok to mash them down to powder and throw them in my shake when I need ?

Half in the morning, half in the evening; if you're able to swallow half? I read somewhere that doing it this way helps absorption too, as the body can't use /all/ the multi at once, so a lot is wasted through urine! Two doses prevents this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom