For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been supersetting mine with leg curls but I'm not even lifting any weight at the moment.

I've tried doing them using the cross armed grip but the bar always rolls off my shoulders making it very difficult to actually concentrate on the squats. I then switched to the clean grip and managed 5x8 at 60kg albeit painfully. I worked my way up to 75kg last Monday but had to stop after 3 reps on four occasions because my wrists were in agony.

Don't see much point in continuing with an exercise that causes me pain without working the body part I want it to. Think it's back to heavy leg press/zercher squats for me.
I use the cross arm grip and think about looking directly up at the ceiling. Usually I wear a tank top but put on a t-shirt so the bar doesn#t slip on sweat. I don't look at the ceiling every rep though, maybe if I did I could do more. Usually stop when the bar drops too low on the way up.

Do you guys continue to train thru a Cold ?

I have just caught a fairly bad one, just wondering if I should continue Gym going or wait it out.

I feel I can train but I'm not sure if my body needs more time to fight the virus first?

Agreed. If you feel too ill to train don't... It batters your body and your immune system training hard. My hormones tend to be all over the place when I'm having a heavy week. Frotunately I've never had so much as a cold, but I can tell when my body needs a break - it's important to listen to what your body says. :)

heavy heavy weeks are enough to drop your immune systems on their own, unless you eat and sleep properly.
to train when ill is asking for yourself to get worse or to just make the cold last longer. :]

Agreed. Glad I'm not the only one that can tell when their immune system/body feels low! Thought I was a freak then! :p

Do you guys continue to train thru a Cold ?

I have just caught a fairly bad one, just wondering if I should continue Gym going or wait it out.

I feel I can train but I'm not sure if my body needs more time to fight the virus first?

Unless I'm ****ing through the eye of a needle I'll always struggle on personally.:)

I've only been going for about 5 weeks.

Just worried I might lose whatever I have gained thru my hardwork so far if I do not keep it up. I guess it's just a mental thing.

Haven't had a cold in ages, got back from Florida and got one almost immediately. Sucks :(

I'll just cut the calories a bit, I assume, as I'm not lifting.

I'm still going to work, so I think I'm at least capable of some light cardio, gives me a chance to go swimming a little which I've been meaning to do.

Suprisingly my legs feel fine after leg day yesterday, quite unusual !

Didnt lift enough.

I know many people doubt the relevence of DOMS in muscle growth. But where legs are concerned soreness in made somewhat unavoidable by the innate neccessity you place in the use of your legs daily. I dont know about you but its not often in my usual run around fixing PC's and driving cars that im forced to suddenly bench a heavy load from my chest or lift a grown man overhead (unless they dont pay me of course), however your legs have the unfortunate secondary function (first being squatting huge weights of course) of carrying your bulk around all day. Thus the muscle damage and trauma created during a hellish, vomit inducing, bile gargling squat session becomes all too apparent as you lower yourself into a chair or onto the bog, even more so as you get up to leave.

Therefore, in my opinion (and thus, by definition, unquestionable, ireffutable fact) , a lack of post leg day soreness = crap leg day. Work harder

I believe that DOMs are not necessary for signs of muscle growth, even for legs. If my legs feel "weak" or like they might give a bit when walking or climbing stairs then I know I've had a good workout, but I don't necessarily have DOMs.

Todays session..

Incline DB Bench
10x20KG
8x30KG - PB
6x30KG
6x30KG

Chest Supported T-Bar Row
6x40KG
6x40KG
6x40KG
3x50KG - PB

Seated Chest Press
6x90KG
5x100KG - PB
3x100KG
10x50KG

Seated Machine Row
12x20KG
12x40KG
12x40KG

Wide Grip Pull Ups
8xBody

I believe that DOMs are not necessary for signs of muscle growth, even for legs. If my legs feel "weak" or like they might give a bit when walking or climbing stairs then I know I've had a good workout, but I don't necessarily have DOMs.

yes but not "fine" as suggested by O. Besides your opinion doesnt count. Now i know what its like to actually HAVE some testosterone, i dont get doms much either, your just lucky enough to grow it naturally ;)

Went to the gym yesterday morning, first time I've done it in the morning for a long time.

I felt utterly sick after just a few sets. I soldiered on, and finished my routine but it felt half hearted at the time, and all day I felt I could have had a better work out (and was even tempted to go back in the evening) but this morning.. christ I'm glad I didn't. Not had DOMs this bad for ages! :D

Here's what I did (chest and shoudlers day):

Incline bench:
10x60kg
10x70kg
5x80kg
10x60kg (ds)

Incline Fly:
10x12kg
10x14kg
5x16kg
10x12kg (ds)

Standing bent over reverse fly (at roughly 45 angle):
10x8kg
10x10kg
10x10kg
10x8kg (ds)

Vertical DBP:
10x20kg
10x24kg
10x26kg
10x20kg

And to kill the remaining 20mins before work I did:

Hammer Curls:
10x16kg
10x18kg
10x18kg
10x16kg

Those reverse situp thingies:
10xown weight
10xown weight
10xown weight

Shall be going again tomorrow morning for Back and prob legs. :)

Last edited:
Also with regards to DOM or not to DOM, I only ever get DOMs in muscles that aren't used quite heavily on a day to day basis.. that would be for e.g. my Chest, Lats, Ham's and sometimes Tri's, I never get them in my Bi's, Quad's, Calves, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom