For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadlifting or should I say incorrect form while deadlifting is what caused the injury that stopped me training 6 years ago. Since I've got back into it I've tried it a couple of times, and also tried using a Trap bar as it's a more natural position to lift the weight but I still don't like it. I can squat and tbh squatting is my favorite exercise but I'm not dl'ing anymore. Just not worth it.

I'd find it hard to drop dls I love 'em too much! :o SOunds like you've had a bad run of luck. I still don't use a belt even for 200+ kg DLs as I really don't feel much pressure on my lower back when I do it?

for 100kg, unless your spotter is very weak, you should only need 1 spotter.
just enough to stop the bar dropping on you, lifting it to the closest rung.
hell, they are supposed to help you get the bar to the top of the rep :p

good work though :D

lol! I might tell him he's a weakling :p

My spotter was meant to pretty much do it for me :p but I still pushed what I could as he was wasn't giving me confidence in trusting him for the next reps.. By the time 3 rep I didn't really trust him at all :(:D

and cheers :)

I must admit 100kg fealt heavy! :o but I'm expecting to do a 1rm with it fingers crossed around the new year :cool:

Also I did some yates rows/about 45* BOR's for the first time in along time (usually go 85-90*) did 90kg for 3 sets of 6 :) my friend filmed it and my form looked fine so I think it's time to go heavier :D

Just need to get some pics up now to complete 'revealing myself to strangers on the internet' :p;)

edit: lots of smilies :eek: :o

Last edited:
Tuesday: chest

Pretty happy with todays session. I'm aiming for 160kg bench by summer... I'm on my way I think/hope!

Love it! :D:D
Definitely see you hitting 160 by summer, should be able to bypass that imo, you still progressing strongly :]

wtf have I missed something??

Surely what FF and gareth.e are doing in most circumstances would be classed as over training?

Some people can do mass volume, i was doing a routine a few months ago where basically I tried to lift more in volume each workout, at some points i was doing over 13 ton i think!
For people starting out or not yet used to what your body is telling you, overtraining is a big problem. But for people who start to know when things are getting too much or still have more left in the tank, bring on the volume :D

Excellent form is so so so so so so so important if you're going for volume en masse. It's probably obvious to most, but I just wanted to add some more emphasis. If you try and lift more than you are capable of with good form, unless you're lifting ridiculously heavier than you should amounts, all you'll do is drop the weight, make a bit of noise and maybe make a bit of a plank of yourself in front of the other gym members.

Do it with bad form, and you could need surgery and will need to endure a LOT of pain.

Absolutely. Form is my biggest bug bear when people don't do it!

Anyone can do high volume, just because I do big weights other people can benefit from high volume, it's very good in fact. I mix it up with a low volume high intensity week too.

Wednesday:

HC2PP:

8x40kg
8x50kg
8x60kg
6x70kg
5x80kg
4x80kg
8x60kg

Light DLs (no belt or straps):

12x100kg
6x140kg
6x140kg
6x140kg
6x140kg
6x140kg

DB Shoulder Press:

8x21kg
8x25kg
8x30kg
6x35kg
6x35kg
0x40kg (just couldn't do it)
8x25kg

Cable Lateral raises:

8x10kg (each)
8x15kg
6x20kg
5x25kg
8x15kg

Short sweet session today. 40mins, felt good, DLs felt easy. DB Press was fine and just a bit gutting I couldn't do that 40kg - I just lost the momentum on getting hte DBs up, and just lost my focus. :(

HC2PP I was going to go up to 90 but I wanted to just keep my form and power through it.

Don't think I've done such a quick session for a long time!

I'm going to have a go at a different routine for back day next week.

Pull ups 2x8

Close grip pull ups 2x8

Chin ups 2x8

Deadlifts 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, (200kg+ 2x4 Straps and belt I like my spine!)

Shrugs 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, (200kg+ 2x4 Straps and belt I like my spine!)

One arm rows 35kg 2x8, 45kg 2x8, 55kg 2x8, 60kg 2x8 (Elbow support wraps)

Seated row 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, 200kg+ 2x4

Head harness 25kg 3x8

Crosstrainer 30 mins on high resistance, break 15min off x 3

Last edited:
Ive got a nice bruise on both my palms. I got it before and it went away but its either the deadlift or the shoulder pressing (clean to press), that aggravates it. Ive been trying to protect it by wearing poncy fingerless gym gloves. I did 12 reps of 140Kg deadlift with the gloves (makes gripping slightly harder since your hand is wider). Did 2 reps of 180kg with gloves, then 6 after removing gloves. That was Monday

Tonight I did bench + Triceps

80Kg bench

incline bodyweight pressups

Pressup with one hand on a medicine ball and alternate which hand is on the ball

Flys

ez-curl bar 15kg aside tricep extension

35Kg dumbell tricep extension.

4 sets of each exercise.

I saw someone loading up the bar with about 12 20Kg plates and doing partial squats. I think he said 500kg. Actually only saw him do 11 plates 1 rep then left as he was getting ready for next set.

This is another guy in my gym:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecollins/2253685370/

Had a crap workout tonight. Don't know if it was fatigue from yesterdays leg session or if I'm coming down with something but I felt dead shortly after my last set of inclines.

Bench
75kg x 5
85kg x 5
95kg x 5
105kg x 5
115kg x 5

Incline DB Bench
40kg x 8
40kg x 8
40kg x 8
40kg x 8
40kg x 8

DB Shoulder Press
35kg x 5

Ive got a nice bruise on both my palms. I got it before and it went away but its either the deadlift or the shoulder pressing (clean to press), that aggravates it.
If you hold the bar too high in your hand when deadlifting it'll slip down and pinch your skin which causes the bruising. It used to happen to me and I know how much it can hurt. Try holding the bar closer to your fingers and see how you get on.

Andy Gower? I know his name is Andy, I just googled "site:ministryofmusclegym.com Andy" and it came up with Andy Gower. He is into Martial Arts. I've not seen him doing any strongman workouts, not sure if he is into powerlifting. Although I remember a discussion between him and the gym owner and the owner Steve was encouraging him to take part in a competition I don't know what comp it was though.

I was training in Mr.Fitz on Bucklands hill 10 years ago and he trained there too.

If you hold the bar too high in your hand when deadlifting it'll slip down and pinch your skin which causes the bruising. It used to happen to me and I know how much it can hurt. Try holding the bar closer to your fingers and see how you get on.

Was told that u can rip the skin of your palm and told to file down my callouses. Ill think about my wrist position next time I do deadlift, so the palm is more to the side, I don't think I can lift 180kg on my finger tips though.

Was told that u can rip the skin of your palm and told to file down my callouses. Ill think about my wrist position next time I do deadlift, so the palm is more to the side, I don't think I can lift 180kg on my finger tips though.

you dont need to do it with finger tips. just not double up the skin where it catches and causes calouses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom