For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, have to wait till I drive hopefully within the next 4-6 months.

You should take a look at the website of my gym (link posted earlier), it is a gym that caters for strongmen. I don't know how far it is for u.

If ** serious about competing though, that 3 meals a day diet has to go. What you do away from the gym is going to be a large factor in how you progress. I'm not saying I know it all. I don't really have a diet past eating maybe 4 or 5 times a day (with what I think is healthy food).

Unfortunately if u were to compete at a competition such as "Britain's Most Powerful Man" held at my gym u would more than likely be up against people on the gear.

Its not just about gear though. I think Jay Hughes said he ate 12 chicken breasts a day, thats going to cost a bit.

Point I am making is you can't say oh thats not impressive cause he is on gear. They might be on gear but they are always thinking about how they could improve their diet ect.

steroids are like protein in lifting, just another peice of the puzzle. Its like when tuning cars, tacking on spoilers and superchips, bodykits, neons etc Thats natty bodybuilding. Steroids are like ripping out the interior, boring out the block, uprating the pistons putting in a performance transmission.

Essentially its the 'proper' way to do it, for some. Another analogy might be disarming a bomb, if you were disarming a bomb youd want to have all the right tools to hand bar none right? but then not everyone should be defusing bombs regaurdless of available tools.

leorobert2.jpg

jay_cutler2.jpg

what?

Stop editing my stuff its a pic of cutler in current condition. not representing olympia 07. Dexter Jackson won the last olympia rightly for superior condition however he is not a particularily good example of size due to modern steroid usage, cutler or coleman fill that slot. The first olympia was 66 and already steroid influenced. The iron man magazine was around from circa 39 when bb'ing was all natty

My mistake, putting 2008 next to Jay Cutler made me put 2 + 2 and get 5.

Just seems a little fake to me, what happened to good old fashioned hardwork. Seems like a lot of people take the easy option:o.
Have u thought that he might actually be working hard and doing absolutely everything he can to improve, including gear? He says he eats every 1.5 hrs.

Was that world record naturally done?
As discussed before there are natural powerlifting federations aswell as bodybuilding natural federations and if its not got natural in the title and they don't test for it then its guaranteed to have gear users in it (and gear users will win over naturals).

I can pretty much assume Andy Bolton the English powerlifter who holds the world record for deadlift at 455Kg is on the gear.

Would you think that is not impressive? Like it or lump it some people will do anything at all to be the best or to just beat someone else, and if everyone has the same mindset; then what is cheating about it?

Ronnie Coleman is 275lb ripped, Mick is close to 322lb and even though he is not a bodybuilder - he could easily be mistaken for one.

You sound like you wouldn't be impressed with anything he did just because its obvious he is on gear.

That James Llewellin is an IFBB pro and trains at my gym. You don't get a pro card without being on gear.

Even though being an IFBB pro means u are on gear, is that not impressive? The mere fact that they have competed against their peers and got to that status alone is impressive. The fact that they use gear doesn't depreciate this.

Its sad that u have to be on gear to get anywhere in the iron game.

This is my opinion ofcourse.

The fact that you ask if these people are on gear makes me think that you don't realise how widespread its use is; consequently you are falsely assuming people you have not heard are on the gear are actually clean.

Watch this movie/documentary:
36161.jpg

I am not writing this as an argument for the use of gear and I am not defending the use of it.

However it is wrong to assume gear is an "easy option".

I heard FF say in another thread (about which protein powder to buy) that he thinks he trains harder than a lot of other people who go to the gym. That may be true however I train alongside people who have been in Country and World competitions and a guy who won Mr. Kent; from what I see I don't train any less hard. In fact when I first started training I prided myself in training as hard as possible regardless of results. The difference I believe is all made away from the gym.

Last edited:
I heard FF say in another thread (about which protein powder to buy) that he thinks he trains harder than a lot of other people who go to the gym. That may be true however I train alongside people who have been in Country and World competitions and a guy who won Mr. Kent; from what I see I don't train any less hard. In fact when I first started training I prided myself in training as hard as possible regardless of results. The difference I believe is all made away from the gym.

I meant around my gym and in my circle of friends. Not compared to professional bodybuilders. Even people on gear have to train for hours EVERY day almost, spend a fortune of food etc... I haven't got the luxury of time to do that unfortunately. However I compare myself to a lot of the gym bunnies (male not female ones) that just go there, think they know what they are doing, spend 90mins lifting lots of weights but haven't put on more than 2lbs in 10 months.

You have to work hard, regardless as to whether you're on gear on not - and because I don't want to dabble with the dark side, I keep my intensity up to a level which helps me develop both in size and strength. I don't consider gear as cheating though... we all face a genetic limit. Some big strongman types don't do gear because genetically they are enormous and powerful. However I am no where near my genetic limit, certainly in terms of strength, and I know I can squeeze a good 5kg of LBM out of me yet. Others who want to achieve more have to accept that they have reached their genetic limit - gear helps enhance and develop your base into something a little better. IT still requires the same dedication and diet if not more. It's not a magic cure that's going to make you big over night.

It's no more cheating than buying a 3.1Ghz CPU and overclocking it to 3.4GHz - the amount of effort (i.e. water cooling, voltages, RAM configs , tweaking, analysing, etc...) to get that extra 0.3GHz is a faff but it pushes the boundary of that base performance.

However I would agree I still feel that competing natural vs enhanced is not fair and I would consider that as cheating, though in strongman comps that doesn't always help. However if there were comps where everyone was on the same level then that's fair enough.

I'm going to have a go at a different routine for back day next week.

Pull ups 2x8

Close grip pull ups 2x8

Chin ups 2x8

Deadlifts 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, (200kg+ 2x4 Straps and belt I like my spine!)

Shrugs 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, (200kg+ 2x4 Straps and belt I like my spine!)

One arm rows 35kg 2x8, 45kg 2x8, 55kg 2x8, 60kg 2x8 (Elbow support wraps)

Seated row 120kg 2x8, 150kg 2x8, 180kg 2x8, 200kg+ 2x4

Head harness 25kg 3x8

Crosstrainer 30 mins on high resistance, break 15min off x 3

Freefaller what do you think of my back day for next week I thought I could do with a few changes?

Freefaller what do you think of my back day for next week I thought I could do with a few changes?

A huge amount of exercises... Though I guess you have 3 which are only 2 sets. What are your pause times between them? That's quite a heck of a workout, high volume too for the 4 biggies. I'm going to call the first 3, one type of exercise for the sake of it.

Yes, it's a lot of volume - on DLs alone you'll be liftin 8.8 tonnes which is no mean feat. Try it - but be honest to yourself and if you feel yourself burning out cut down on maybe a set or two per exercise.

It's no more cheating than buying a 3.1Ghz CPU and overclocking it to 3.4GHz - the amount of effort (i.e. water cooling, voltages, RAM configs , tweaking, analysing, etc...) to get that extra 0.3GHz is a faff but it pushes the boundary of that base performance.

Sometimes I forget this is a computing forum - then an analogy like that brings it all back home. :D

without doubt, geared against ungeared in a tested comp = unfair.
but, geared v non geared in an untested fed = fair.

just about knowing where to compete really.
there is more interest in untested comps, untested equipped seem to get the biggest entry lists from what i can tell. tested raw comps are rare

Biggest thing i agree with FF is the genetic limit you can only push out what your body will allow.

At the end of the day its up to the individual on what they are going to do to try and beat the genetic factor, drugs/steroids being the easiest of all.

I personally aim for bulking to try and push my ceiling of 1 RM etc but i also know that with age i will become a lot stronger. Like my granddad says you need weight for to lift weight (true for most of us).

I will be personally going onto protein shakes in the new year to see how they can assist me over a course of 6 months if i don't see my training weight of 265lbs going to pretty close to 300lb then i'll scrap it and just wait to see what age can bring me.

However i have to say i know gear makes a difference but with some of what i have seen with people on the gear even long term users i could easily push more out than what they could despite them being 18stone so just under 2 stone heavier than me...

Each to his own GRRRRRRRRRRAAAARHHHH

Just seems a little fake to me, what happened to good old fashioned hardwork. Seems like a lot of people take the easy option.

Thing is m8 if im brutally honest, if you lean out to six-pack levels you wont be near as big as you are now nor lifting what you do now (would still be a damn impressive figure tho). Its simple biochemistry, without surplus fat the body wants to minimize day to day energy usage, it does this by breaking down costly muscle tissue in an effort to streamline performance. The body essentially WANTS to be an average joe soap, slightly fat, minimal muscle required for day to day needs, high fertility, moderate life expectancy. Its not interested in aesthetics.

So the fact is that to be big and not look like a lardo steroids are 'almost' a given. Having said which theres this guy
Skip LaCour
05e33261-5ba5-4485-a8e5-9ebd672dae92BB_Talk_show_head.jpg

One of the top natty's, this guy is literally AS BIG AS ITS POSSIBLE TO BE NATURALLY. I remember hearing in a book of his that he hadnt had a cheat meal since he was 16!? takes the **** tbh gimme a needle any day over that.

Star out swear words please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom