For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last nights session.

Flat BB bench 70kg 3*8
Incline DB bench 25kg 3*8 PB
Close grip bench 55kg 3*8 PB
Standing Military Press 30kg 3*8

Been training for the last 5 months now started at just over 11stone. I now weigh 12stone 3 pounds, looking to hit 13 stone.
Also hoping to hit 80k g for flat bench by new year.

Saturday:

Close grip pull ups:

6xBW
6xBW
6xBW
6xBW
6xBW

Supersetted with bent over cable pulls:

10xstack
10xstack
10xstack
10xstack
10xstack

Cable cross over back extension:

10x15kg
8x20kg
7x25kg
6x25kg
12x20kg

Supersetted with BORs:

10x50kg
8x70kg
8x80kg
7x100kg
10x100kg

Wide grip pull downs:

10x50kg
8x70kg
8x90kg
7x100kg
9x100kg

That';s all I felt like doing today. Big work do last night and whilst I felt ok, started to feel a bit ropey at the gym so called it quits as of then. Total lack of energy and drive today. Still, at least I went and tried!

tonights session

Wide grip pullups 3*8

bb bicep curl
8*37.5kg
8*35kg
8*30kg

Db hammer curls
8*3 16kg pb

BOR
8*55kg
8*57.5kg
8*60kgpb

Deadlifts
6*100kg
6*105kg
6*107.5kgpb

Well, your curls are strong compared to your back work, which is a bit bad imo.

Your bi's are worked heavily when doing back work, so, if you work them before doing your back workout, it means your bi's will give up before your back has been really worked.

Your back work isn't that heavy yet, so it would definitely be worth either dropping the bi work and doing more back work, or, doing the back stuff first then the bi's.

Listen to Morba,

Aint no point working bi's until your back is huge. Its pretty simple if you can find me a better back workout than chins ive yet to find it. The only exception i make is for heavy negs on the preacher simply because they cause the most damage to my bi's of any exercise and when im after bicep growth ill add those in after rows chins and pulldowns

Listen to Morba,

Aint no point working bi's until your back is huge. Its pretty simple if you can find me a better back workout than chins ive yet to find it. The only exception i make is for heavy negs on the preacher simply because they cause the most damage to my bi's of any exercise and when im after bicep growth ill add those in after rows chins and pulldowns

What would be an alternative to chins then? If you can't do chins that is. Not because I can't (They are hard for me regardless) but because I have no where to do them.

There are a fair few back exercises involving the shoulders....so would that be the best bet?

Been doing a few today, and they are certainly using the Trapz and (to a lesser extent) the 'latissimus' muscles.

about £40 from gymratz is a decent chin bar tbh. i've got one myself!
no excuse not to have somewhere not to do them :p

alternative : lat pull down. nothing else compares for lat width to chins / pull downs imo

What would be an alternative to chins then? If you can't do chins that is. Not because I can't (They are hard for me regardless) but because I have no where to do them.

There are a fair few back exercises involving the shoulders....so would that be the best bet?

Been doing a few today, and they are certainly using the Trapz and (to a lesser extent) the 'latissimus' muscles.

Truth is m8, as morba has mentioned, there is no real alternative to chins for lat width, pull downs are great too but chances are nowhere to chin = no lat tower either. I have pretty wide lats which i attribute directly to chinning my 100kg+ frame albeit for low reps. Remember aswell that lat strength will improve almost all other compounds including overhead press, bench press and deadlift by helping the trapezius to lock your upper back in place. Dont cut corners you can chin alnmost anywhere and door jam chin bars are available everywhere for 20 quid or so.

I could never do dips, pull ups and wide grip chin ups, but i've been passing the bars at the gym every day trying to do a few, over the last few weeks i can now do 4 full dips, 3 pull ups and 2 wide grip chin ups. Just keep trying, there's no alternative, I did think doing loads of lat pull downs would get me better at them but they never did. Use no assists and just go for it, even if you do a half, next week you'll be able to do one if you keep at it. :)

edit - Thought i'd just post where I'm at,

I normally do 45 mins straight cardio every weekday (15 mins run, fast enough that i have to stop at around 10 mins to catch breath, 15 mins cycling and 15 mins cross trainer)

This is my best at the moment

Bench - 60kg 2 x 8
Incline Bench 45kg 2 x 8
Decline Bench 65kg 2 x 8

Squat 90kg 4 x 5
Deadlift 70kg 3 x 8 (really have to get my form sorted on this one)

military press 25kg 2 x 8

Bent over row 35kg 3 x 8 (Really need to work on my back)

Lat pull downs, seated row, bi's and tri's I do on cable machines with numbers not weight so cant remember, I just keep going higher until I can just do 5.

Last edited:
had my first deadlift session in months, really enjoyed it, went like this:-

deadlift

130 x 10
160 x 8
190 x 5
200 x5

sumo dead

170 x8
180 x 8
190 x 5
200 x f (got about 1 up)

SLDL

100 x 10
130 x 10
140 x 8

lat pull

40x10
55x10
60x8
65x5

close grip cable pulldown

65 x 8
70x8
75x5
80xf

really enjoyed it, nice to pick up 200 for a few, was a bit worried that since ive neglected dead for chins i wouldnt be able to hit the high numbers.

200kg for 5 eh? Nice!
Was a very nice surprise as i thought id struggle above 180 (my pb from maybe 6 months ago) which was why i was so reluctant to meet you head on with any lifting challenges.

Gonna do some vids soon though so dont worry about inaccuracies on my part. I presume you can do 200 raw however? i cant do it without straps :( girl hands

Time for some puny stats. I'm abusing this thread to keep a bit of a log and monitor progress - hope you don't mind 'muscleing' in against the big boys. I expect these to improve vastly

8/12/08
Barbell Bench Press
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 10.00 Kg

Barbell Incline Bench Press
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 10.00 Kg

Cable Cross Over
8 x 7.50 Kg
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 12.50 Kg

Cable – Tricep Pushdown
8 x 10.00 Kg
8 x 15.00 Kg
8 x 20.00 Kg

Dips (Or should it be A dip)
1x 3/4 rep - I'll get there :)

Skull Crushers - ran out of time due to urgent phone call :/

I've got plenty in the tank, need to be more confident chucking the weights about and my mate was ill so no spotter to really push myself.

Legs and Shoulders next.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom