For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
just started doing deadlifts (2 weeks ago) really like the exerisise and my form is good. But i struggle to lift more then 90kg for reps due to grip. Any tips / should i wear gloves or just keep on trying and eventually blisters will stop or grip will improve and can increase weight.

cant even imagine holding 200kg in hands :O massive weight. btw pull up advice worked and passed territorial army fitness test np:-]. Now just need work on fitness all around and maybe cut back drinking of about 40units+ a week. Student life style ftl

no, dont wear gloves. generally its a case of just getting used to it. however, if you are doing deads to build you back then get some chalk or straps, dont let your grip deny your back its workout :]

oh, and if you are lifting to build muscle, i would seriously look at dropping that alcohol intake, some is ok, but 40 units will be killing test levels

Was a very nice surprise as i thought id struggle above 180 (my pb from maybe 6 months ago) which was why i was so reluctant to meet you head on with any lifting challenges.

Gonna do some vids soon though so dont worry about inaccuracies on my part. I presume you can do 200 raw however? i cant do it without straps :( girl hands

Yes and no belt... what can I say... I'm man :p Still, that's pretty stonking mate. :)

As I've been off work on hols since 27th Nov I've not been to gym (I go at lunch/after work as its 2 mins from my workplace but 30 mins from home). So I decided to get up this morning and get my ass down there.

Also decided I'd try my 4 day split as I've been on a cardio workout for roughly 3 month and I must say I really noticed how much I miss lifting :(.
My 4 day split weights had dropped slightly, but not by as much as I thought they would! Quite happy as I hadn't had any breakfast which no doubt affected my ability to lift weights!

Back tomorrow :D I can't wait to get on some BOR's, and lets not forget Legs Thursday...god I miss DLs :(

Apart from some workouts at home (chins, pressups, shoulder presses and BORs (but all around 45kg only)) I haven't had a good run for the gym recently. And with the gym closure it's a bit tricky too!

So I had a bit of a weird work out tonight, just did a bit of everything.

Tuesday:

Powercleans:

6x60kg
6x60kg
6x60kg
6x80kg
6x90kg
4x100kg
2x110kg

Deadlifts (raw):

12x110kg
6x150kg
3x190kg
1x210kg
8x150kg

Bench DB Flat:

8x40kg
8x40kg
7x40kg
6x40kg

Superset with 15kg flies

8, 8, 8, 6

Incline DB Bench:

8x25kg
8x27.5kg
8x30kg
8x35kg

Superset with 15kg flies:

6, 6, 5, 5

Front Squats:

8x60kg
8x60kg
10x80kg
8x80kg
11x80kg

That's it. Completely odd workout I know - but I don't really have the option of doing my usual spread so I did things I enjoyed :p

What sort of BF % is acceptable when on a bulk? Ill grab a pic later see if some one can guestimate it.

Need to tweak my diet slightly me thinks and do cardio properly! Rarely rarely do it at the moment but I shall crack on with it.

Tonights session

Squats
12*60kg
8*70kg
8*80kg
5*90kg
5*100kg pb
8*60kg

Front squats(never done before so just looking for good form
8*50kg
8*50kg
8*50kg
8*50kg

Calf raises
12*60kg for 4 sets

had my first deadlift session in months, really enjoyed it, went like this:-

deadlift

130 x 10
160 x 8
190 x 5
200 x5

sumo dead

170 x8
180 x 8
190 x 5
200 x f (got about 1 up)

SLDL

100 x 10
130 x 10
140 x 8

lat pull

40x10
55x10
60x8
65x5

close grip cable pulldown

65 x 8
70x8
75x5
80xf

really enjoyed it, nice to pick up 200 for a few, was a bit worried that since ive neglected dead for chins i wouldnt be able to hit the high numbers.

hi sorry just need to know
what is sldl compared to a deadlift

Ow my tri's hurt. Bits and pieces day, so didn't even go mental on them.

Flat bench:
10x60kg
5x80kg
5x80kg
10x60kg
10x60kg (narrow)

Vertical rows:
10x30kg
10x30kg
10x30kg
10x30kg

Skull Crushers (e-z bar):
10x20kg
10x30kg
10x30kg
10x20kg (ds)

Seated rows (all Pronated):
10x60kg
10x70kg
10x70kg

Pull up (hands at shoulder width):
1xown weight (yippee! :D)
Tried another but only got half way.

Quad extensions (machine):
10x40kg
10x50kg
5x60kg
10x40kg (ds)

Good Mornings (45 degree on a prop):
10xown weight
10xown weight
10xown weight

Basically I just turned up at the gym today and just worked on what I wanted to/felt needed pumping up. Pretty ecstatic I managed a full pullup though (I weigh 114kg or 18st on the old scale) :p

Last edited:
What would be the name of these chin up bars you can wedge inbetween your door then? Do they damage the frame over time? I presume they would because of the pressure that will be being put on it.

"door jam bars" or just Google for "door exercise bar"

There will be some damage, yes. If you have wooden frames, then it'll leave impression marks and if painted/varnished it'll chip the paint.

Use some rags in between the door frame and bar grips to minimise it.

"door jam bars" or just Google for "door exercise bar"

There will be some damage, yes. If you have wooden frames, then it'll leave impression marks and if painted/varnished it'll chip the paint.

Use some rags in between the door frame and bar grips to minimise it.

Would that not have a tendency to slip? Just saw a video of it, and it does put a bit of pressure on it so I presume it wouldn't slip if enough tension was holding it...

@ Morba: How does that one fit then? Theres no info on that page (However i've only really opened the link) I'll have a look around anyway.

Heh, theres this one as well: http://chinups.co.uk/ ....But it looks as if the frame is just going to rip off :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom