For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw someone at the gym last night doing squats with small 2.5k or 5k plates under his heels.

What was this for?

I did 3 sets of 20 squats with just the bar last night, felt good but not very taxing. Now I'm comfortable with the movement it's time to add some weight to it.

but if you are going to do that then you want to raise the heels so that they are not in contact with anything he can put pressure on?
not necessarily but more than one plate i would have said. The idea of sissy squats is squatting as if pushing a boulder up a hill with your back (The myth of sisyphus, where he was tasked with pushing a rock endlessley up mount olympus) thus it is not really about being on your toes but about your foot being on a slope with the heel above the toes.

A simple way to illustrate this is to grab two heavy dumbells put two plates under each heel and squat, it will destroy your quads!

great article

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ormance_bodybuilding/real_men_do_sissy_squats

Interesting stuff about the tight hamstrings. The chiropractor i go to told me i have "the worst hamstring flexibilty for someone my age she's ever known!" Im only 26! lol

I also struggle to keep the weight on my heels when i get lower.

Think i'll give that a try.

(also doing a lot more stretching to loosen them up)

Monday:

Flat BB Bench:

12x60kg
10x80kg
8x90kg
8x100kg
6x120kg
3x130kg
DS: 12x100kg

Incline DB superset with flies:

8x25kg
8x30kg
8x35kg
6x35kg
4x40kg
8x30kg

8x17kg
8x17kg
8x17kg
7x17kg
6x17kg
5x17kg

Cable crossover side bicep curls superset with standing alternating DB curls:

10x15kg
8x20kg
8x25kg
8x30kg
6x35kg
5x40kg

12x17kg
12x17kg
10x17kg
10x17kg
8x17kg
12x17kg

Just a short sweet session today, in and out in less than an hour. Supersets were good fun but hard. I've added a couple of Kg on my flies and DB curl supersets and I really felt it today. Didn't push too much on flat bench, but was happy with 12x100kg dropset, actually I couldn't believe how easily the bar went up and kept going. The standing curl superset with the cable bicep curls (you bring your knuckles towards the side of your head keeping your arm parallel to the ground and perpendicular to your body) was bloody tough.

It's going to be a bit disjointed this week as we're pretty busy - but all in all it's good fun!

FF why do you warm up so light for so many reps on bench? You bench more than me and yet i feel very comfortable warming up with 12x90, i dont see what 12x60 will do apart from deplete energy reserves.

Aside from that top lifting! 130 for 3 is a beastly lift!

It's cold... and I like to get a good pump on :p If I go for 1rm I just do a couple of warm ups on 100kg and then go for 140+... but for just high volume lifting I just like to keep the volume high even if I don't go heavy. :) I really should do more reps at higher weights and go to failure... but I don't at the moment, don't know why. I did a 12x dropset of 100kg though just for you! :p

It's cold... and I like to get a good pump on :p If I go for 1rm I just do a couple of warm ups on 100kg and then go for 140+... but for just high volume lifting I just like to keep the volume high even if I don't go heavy. :) I really should do more reps at higher weights and go to failure... but I don't at the moment, don't know why. I did a 12x dropset of 100kg though just for you! :p

Hhehe i cant get 100 for 12 out yet best lift is 120 for a double. My philosophy with hypertrophy-focused training is to lift as much volume as possible over 70% intensity. So for example in bench with a 1rm of say 125kg i wouldnt lift below 87.5 kg and i will focus on my best volume so 90x12 100x10 110x6 that sort of area. I suppose i have a tendency to train rather by instinct these days so no idea how this would work for someone else, seems a good tradeoff between hypertrophy and strength at least for me.

Last night

Standing Military Press
8*35PB
8*35
8*35

Arnolds
8*12.5
8*12.5
8*12.5

Squats
8*60
8*90
6*100
5*105PB
8*100

Front Squats
8*60PB
8*60
8*60

Calf Raises
12*65
12*65
12*65
12*65

Full up with man flu at the moment but still broke some personal bests so
I am well pleased with that.

Yeah I train more by instinct rather than anything else. I haven't got much time at the moment so I'm going in and doing as much as I can in as short period of time as possible. Until work quiets down I shan't be able to do mad big sessions unfortunately. :(

How much of an angle is you incline bench at? chances are its too high and recruiting too much of the shoulders compared to the chest.

If 1 arm is stronger than the other, just keep plugging away. If form is really bad then stop.
Dont then work the other arm/area on its own. The left arm will catch up eventually :]

The angle I was doing them at was about 65 Deg.

Next time I'll try about 45 Deg and see how it feels.

I'll keep hitting it, my left arm will just take time.

Thanks for your help.

A couple of this weeks lifts back at home in my garage with slightly limited equipment:
- 31.5kg for 12 reps dumbbell flat dumbbell bench (not bad considering I haven't done this in a LONG time) I think it's a PB!! :p
- 140kg for 6 reps deadlift (I don't think this for many reps before - a PB too! :p)
- 19kg db flies 12reps (again although now great.. I'm guessing this is a PB)
- 65kg leg extensions 12reps on a bench with an extension I've got at home, it felt easy.. (remember having to give it effort with 50kg in september..)

check your flye form gareth m8 19kg flyes with your bench and ill bet my ass they are too close in at your sides. Use some light Db's and keep your arms STRAIGHT and work up in weight. Reason i say this is that for 12 reps my PB is around 21kg's and my bench is a good bit higher.

Just remember im not knocking your lifts but in posting them you are presumably asking for analysis and i would posulate that from your numbers your flye form is poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom