For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's my first time being at the gym over new years.

Saw quite a few people on inductions at my local gym. However, I'm now at uni so it's a bit different.

I also just registered for the proper gym, not the free one I've been using down the road, as it's much better, so I probably look like a resolution person anyway :o

Wow.. a ton of newbies in since the new year.

In a way it's bad as there's queues for equipment. But at least there's plenty more small guys so I don't look at out place.

Will be interesting to see how many last over the next few months.

there is 0 reasons for queueing for machines. find an alternative exercise, there will be loads.

Please tell me if I am insane:

I'm getting a little frustrated with my workout plan at the moment, and was wondering if switching to a 2 week plan, instead of 1 week would work. For example:

Week 1 : Low reps, high weight (what I am currently doing).

Week 2: High reps, Low weight ( 50+ reps)

Week 3: Low reps, high weight

Week 4: High reps, Low weight ( 50+ reps)

Then repeat this each month. Is this a useless path to be on?

Please tell me if I am insane:

I'm getting a little frustrated with my workout plan at the moment, and was wondering if switching to a 2 week plan, instead of 1 week would work. For example:

Week 1 : Low reps, high weight (what I am currently doing).

Week 2: High reps, Low weight ( 50+ reps)

Week 3: Low reps, high weight

Week 4: High reps, Low weight ( 50+ reps)

Then repeat this each month. Is this a useless path to be on?

no point doing mega high reps, everything after 15 reps in most disciplines becomes counter productive and catabolic. By all means find out what works for you but dont forget that the pro's who advocate things like super high volume squatting are on so many steroids that 'catabolism' might aswell not exist.

Thats not to say you cant do sessions with lighter weight but try doing eccentrics instead. Dont drop below 60% intensity either (60% 1RM) there have been plenty of studies that show lifting below this level to be un-productive. At the end of the day, if i took my bench press 1rm (125k) and found my 60% level (75k) and tried to bash out 4/5 sets of 15.... not easy!

no point doing mega high reps, everything after 15 reps in most disciplines becomes counter productive and catabolic. By all means find out what works for you but dont forget that the pro's who advocate things like super high volume squatting are on so many steroids that 'catabolism' might aswell not exist.

Thats not to say you cant do sessions with lighter weight but try doing eccentrics instead. Dont drop below 60% intensity either (60% 1RM) there have been plenty of studies that show lifting below this level to be un-productive. At the end of the day, if i took my bench press 1rm (125k) and found my 60% level (75k) and tried to bash out 4/5 sets of 15.... not easy!

Thanks for the info. Would you say then that doing a different session each week would help? I only have a max of 2 - 3 days of going each week + recovery time in between.

First session in over two weeks for me today.

Squats
100kg x 10
120kg x 10
140kg x 10 (:eek:)

Deadlifts
100kg x 10
120kg x 10
140kg x 10

Leg Press
180kg x 10
200kg x 10
220kg x 10

Calf Raises
180kg x 15
200kg x 15

Haven't done sets of 10 for my compounds in a long time. Do not like!

Thanks for the info. Would you say then that doing a different session each week would help? I only have a max of 2 - 3 days of going each week + recovery time in between.

That depends, give me an idea of your 1 or 5 rep max (bench/squat/deadlift/bent over row/ shoulder press) and your ultimate goal (strength or look) and ill advise best i can.

I started doing some HST thing where its sets of 10 and you do whole body 3x a week its not baaaad. Bit odd to get ya head around when you have never done anything like it before.

Does anyone here do a light/heavy session? I was reading something yesterday and it was all about Intensity is the key. Mixing the rep ranges and so forth to maximise growth and basically keep the body guessing.

Think im going to do a heavy/light sessions maybe do light one week and then heavy next or change it every other session. Do 1/2 my heavy session for light but 2x the reps.

Monday:

Chest:

Incline DB:

12x21kg
10x25kg
10x30kg
8x35kg
8x35kg
10x35kg
12x25kg

Decline DB:

10x25kg
10x30kg
8x35kg
6x35kg
8x35kg
6x40kg
5x40kg

Cable cross over:

10x20kg
10x25kg
10x30kg
8x35kg
7x40kg
5x40kg

DB Pull overs:

5x40kg
6x40kg
6x40kg
5x40kg
5x40kg

BW Dips (still no dipping belt :():

8x
8x
8x
6x
5x

Completely burned out! I'd usually do biceps following a chest day, but being lazy I decided to avoid them today. I can always do some at home later if I want to. :oops:

Let's see how the rest of the week goes!

I started doing some HST thing where its sets of 10 and you do whole body 3x a week its not baaaad. Bit odd to get ya head around when you have never done anything like it before.

Does anyone here do a light/heavy session? I was reading something yesterday and it was all about Intensity is the key. Mixing the rep ranges and so forth to maximise growth and basically keep the body guessing.

Think im going to do a heavy/light sessions maybe do light one week and then heavy next or change it every other session. Do 1/2 my heavy session for light but 2x the reps.

Chong_Warrior's your man to speak to about HST - if you go onto the myprotein forums he's written a comprehensive training log on it (his username is Bison over there).

chest/bi today

flat DB 8*36k 6 sets
inc DB 8*30K 5 sets supersetted with DB flys at 16k
8*BW dips 5 sets (struggle to add weight when i do these last)
BB curls 8*35k 3 sets
DB hammer curls 3*16k 3 sets

I've only just started to recover from that blasted bug that's been going around, so I missed my Friday leg/Ab session....My body feels neglected :p

But doing Chest/Shoulder's/Tri's atm and I seem to be alive so hey.

It's really weird sounding....But I've only been doing weights for just over a month and a bit....And I think I already need to think about buying some more weight for certain exercises.

One thing I do need to grab hold of though is a Barbell/EZ curl, I'll wait till I have money behind me though.

I've done a few cycles of this, excellent program and one many return to. You mention the higher rep cycles....did you do a full cycle i.e 4weeks of 5x5 and extras? If not you pretty much missed the most important part! In terms of growth anyway

how straight do you all keep your arms doing flys? mine is totally straight at the moment and lower them down so db touchs the ground almost but most people i see in gym have a slight bend and one of my gym partners even has his arms at right angles almost :o not sure on correct way?:)

Cannot wait to get back to england tonight.

The school that the gym I was using was in has been closed since New Years Day so I've done nothing since then except eat and drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom